• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why a Turkey barrel?

Blue, I assume you're referring to trap specifically? The swing part doesn't really make sense to me. I understand what you're saying but its ironic that everything they teach in "tactical" uses contradicts trap or clays. Before anyone jumps the gun, hear me out.

Carbine setups are short for faster "swing" and easier stability amount other reasons but we'll keep this simple for now. Of course we all know that the main goal is a longer sight radius witch will yield any gun more accuracy.

Now, I assume you mean on longer shotguns you have more weight and length so you're getting less twitchy effects which will help longer shots. I can agree with this but I don't think a shorter gun is a bad thing either. Anyone will have to train with any gun to be efficient no matter what the task. In trap I think that those are some of the longer ranges you'll be shooting a shotgun at anyway. I also agree that the longer barrel would probably be better just because of the sight radius. The weight doesn't really matter to me because I think that if you're twitchy or over swinging than you need practice anyway. Example: I can perform the same shooting sporting clays with my short or long gun but I'll do better with the long gun in trap. The choke has a lot to do with that as well though.

John, I was referring to shotguns. I only used true rifles as a reference to the fmj. Rifles gain with length even in handgun calipers such as 9mm carbines or 22lr pistols to long gun.

Chris111 said:
Now, I assume you mean on longer shotguns you have more weight and length so you're getting less twitchy effects which will help longer shots. I can agree with this but I don't think a shorter gun is a bad thing either..

No argument. I specifically stated "places where longer barrels matter". As in "places where you would specifically want a longer barrel". Longer barrels (and if you're talking a 20 inch turkey barrel that means 8 to 14 inches!) mean less movement at your end for the same amount of movement at the business end. If you're shooting for the precision of a trap shooter, with an extra full choke, for 150 pressure filled shots, just like boxing, you want to keep things tight, compact, and machine like in terms of consistency. Longer heavier guns help, especially since you aren't walking, and you can rest them on your toe between turns :lol: As to the ranges of trapshooting, the big boys don't shoot that far :lol: When you're actually on the line with them, I swear it feels like it's "PullPoof". The cloud of dust appears as they finish the second "L" in pull. Meanwhile, I'm barely chipping birds that are dropping what appears to be a football field away :oops: Most of the guys I've shot with love that by the way. They start rooting for you when you consistently hit the long ones.

My preference is for 24 to 26 inch barrels for upland/brush. I've also stated my belief, based on my own hunting experience, that turkey hunters are the primary target of the hunting industry's marketing wing. But gear is fun. One should enjoy what they have. And if you can afford to have specialized gear, I'm not gonna be hatin'! You should see some of my guitar gear :oops:

Edited to add, that the long barrel advantages can play into classic waterfowling, which is what I do in the northwest. jumping potholes is a whole different game.

I wasn't arguing if that's what you're saying. Just stating my opinion as I enjoy sharing and hearing others opinions and experiences. We can all benefit from that.

I Hear you on guitar stuff. I've learned to downsize lately.

Chris111 said:
I wasn't arguing if that's what you're saying. Just stating my opinion as I enjoy sharing and hearing others opinions and experiences. We can all benefit from that.

I Hear you on guitar stuff. I've learned to downsize lately.

Oh I know you weren't. And I was assuring you, you wouldn't find one from me!

I was going to downsize the guitar stuff "when the economy got better and I could get something for it", but now I'm glad I didn't. My 10 year old boy has taken a serious interest, and things like the MIM Fender Jaguar (24 inch scale), and the Vox modeling amp are the best things ever! Something to consider if you have kids... The cheaper stuff you would consider getting rid of is probably better than the stuff we started on!!!!! :lol:

To put this back on topic from the OP.
This should answer any Tukey Hunting questions about gear and what is REALLY needed.
William Hovey Smith has been doing this for a long time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP2LjiKL33g[/youtube]

He has some good points about keeping things simple.

And I too also like Stevens shotguns. I own 2, and the single shot 16 gauge has killed more game than everything else in my cabinet combined bar none.

I also have a 12 gauge Stevens pump with 30 inch barrel that will really reach out there, but I still prefer the shorter 16 gauge when hunting.

And just for the record, I have also killed squirrels with the mossberg 500 with 18.5 inch barrel on several occasions too so I know it's up to the task, but a lot of people would probably shake their head about it..

Back