• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

why are gun store people so rude and snobby?

i did not know where to put this but why are gunstore owners such duche bags ??? and thier gun expert workers ........dont even get me started . i have seen people ask the simplest questions and they get a retarted answer ... and some gun store owners act like if guns are some complex thing that u have to be handed down from birth the knowladge to work on one whats up with that ? And when i go to buy a gun i have like 1000.00 in my pocket , but i guess they rather try to sell to a jerk with a freaken polo ........ sorry i like to weare ua shirts and 5:11 pants . i have ran in to 2 owners who treat people like people not civilians and guess what they get way more buissness . has any one ran in to guys like this? or do u own or work at a gun store and can explain the reason for this behivior ?

I tend to order guns online because of this vary reason!

there is a store here in Ct that is the same way. hoffmans. i will never go in there again. i was just walking around looking at some of their guns and listening to them talk to the customers. not friendly at all.

however, i did find a local small mom & pop gun / sporting goods store, and the owner, Jim, is the cat's meow. this guy remembered me from 6 months ago. and he has lots of customers. if i need anything i go see him, or ask the dumb question somewhere on this site. cuz it's people friendly here. the way it should be everywhere. but you can always scout around texas to find different places.

i was just checking on google for ya...

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig& ... .0.3.1l8l0

and the maps...
m6Rxt.jpg

.sorry. it looks like you are headed for haul if you want to find one...my local shop is 20 minutes away from me.....

i hope you find a great lil place thats just as friendly us here at a mossberowners.com

I ran into the same and it can be worse for a woman. Most of the time I was just ignored.
When I moved to Florida it was sometimes the same but not most of the time. I went to a few gun shows and started to meet some of the sellers. What a difference, especially after they realize : 1. you own at least one gun and looking to buy. 2 you have some knowledge and they are glad to share about any gun they are selling. 3 a local shop asks YOU to make yourself at home in the shop. You may handle any gun in the shop and they answer any questions. These are the people I buy from- not the schmucks!

The "go-to" local shop has a mix. They have their fair share of all types. I have two or three guys that work the counters that I will wait to talk to about buying anything. None of them work on comission, so they don't push the sales wich is exactly the environment you need to make great customer service. The ones that have taken the time to answer my newcomer questions and patiantly work with me as I slowly come around to making a decition are the ones I always seek out.

There are a couple of them I avoid like the plague. Like the guy I started asking questions to about building an AR that looked at me like I told him I wanted to build a rocket to mars. "Why would you want to do that?! Just buy one of those already built on the shelf?" After telling me that he proudly started spouting off that if I was to build anything it should be a 1911, and how he has "thousands of spare parts that he always tinkers with". :roll:

I got stuck dealing with him and another guy that seems to take 5 seconds to process everything you ask him only to be told "Hang on, I'll go check." where I think he goes and asks someone who knows what they are doing.

The older guys in the shop can be a bit "cold" but they do answer your questions. Just without a warm and fuzzy feeling. Short and to the point, sometimes in what seems like a "not that question again" tone in their voices.

My biggest complaint is the fact that they refuse to do ANY single item ordering. They will always wait for a week or more before placing any order. I was told once when I wanted to order something that I would have to wait for enough people to want something from that manufacturer before they would place the order. I went online and got what I was after even though when I can I prefer to go to some place that I can work with an actual person when I can.

Apparently, you're in the wrong gun store. My local gun store owner is a friend of mine. We've been hunting together. We go shooting together. We get together with other guys and go out to eat. No problems here.

I guess that I'm lucky because the two local Mom & Pop gun shops in my neck of the woods have know me for decades...Delia's and Lock's...both of NE Philly.

Delia's is owned by a set of twins who literally have a coffee klutch in their shop. I walk in, exchange greetings with the twins and their gang of everyday visitors, mostly retired LEOs...and then get offered a cup of java. Jack, the counter guy asks what I need and transactions ensue.

Lock's is owned my Mom and John Lock. Pop passed away about two years ago, but was in the shop every day greeting customers by first name. Mom tends the counter with others while John is in the back taking care of paperwork. They also have a gunsmith on premises and John will also help if say a first time customer asks how to field strip a gun, or needs help with holster selections.

Then there's the shop closer to my house called Abington Gun Shop...great guys in there too. Even see them at the local gun shows and we'll stop and talk. So, I'm well taken care of in my experience.

It's hard to find comfortable, kind, and knowledgeable places to spend our hard earned money at. I'm lucky I drive by a locally owned shop and range on my daily commute. It makes a world of difference to deal with a good crew.

Yea Im just going to shop at acadmey and buy accesories on line from now on ........ And if I fond a good deal there is a guy in town that does transfers for 25.00 and just that because he is a moron . And I cant stand to look at his silly hair due

We have a place closer to Cincy, about 35 miles for me. Half the guys are the kind you describe. They know everything and the customer knows nothing and they just have time to educate you. One guy is cool. He doesnt know any more than I do except what he has learned since he got a job there but doesnt pretend to know any more than he does. Another guy is real cool. Navy Vet, served in VietNam and is happy to talk guns with anyone! The kind of guy who makes you wwant to buy there.

The closest place to me is about 15 or 18 miles. Real good local and small town guy. One other employee. He has been dealing in coins in the area for years and years,m selling guns on the side. Just opened his shop around 6 mos ago. I have no problems goin to him!

Another awesome place was Millers Guns in New Castle DE. Great group of guys!!! I went one night and the doors were locked but it was during business hours. I knocked on the door, and i had only been in there once before, but they opened the door and said to come on in, they were just talkin and hangin out and I was welcome to join them! They mostly wanted to swap stories and not really sell stuff, so we did for awhile and near closing I ordered my 590A1. I kinda wanna go back!

I guess I am lucky as well, There are two gun shops within a mile of my house that both have knowledgeable and helpful employees, There are a couple of other shops near my work, But I will only visit one that is farther away because of their customer service and my father and Grandfather have both dealt with the owner for years till his death some 8 years ago, But it is still run by the family, The other one is a "black rifle" shop that is newer in town than the others, They only want to sell high dollar items and generally blow off others who aren't well versed in all that is "black rifle", Like myself.

Like Ripjack was saying about Hoffman's guns , I use to stop there on my way home from what ever job we were working a "I work construction" and they are just a bunch of snobs and could care less what I wanted to look at it was like I was a second class citizen .I have never been back since but I did find a great shop in that same town Newington Gun Exchange these guys are top notch and dont give a damn what clothes you are wearing that day and I have bought many guns from them and I also do my FFL transfers with them too .

Interesting......not much different here in Ontario. They will however get to know you once they see the money.

Back