• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why you should Never EVER EVER buy an AK Rifle <funny vid>

Nitesite, I see nothing wrong with his collection except he's missing a Romanian military rifle chamberer in 5.56x45. Yes, 5.56x45 NATO!

The Romanian SAR-3 military rifle uses Wieger East German STG-940 magazines. These rifles were imported into the U.S. is small quantities between 1999 and early 2003. Excellent rifles however it's currently very hard and pricey to find original Wieger magazines.

Regards

Nitesite, I see nothing wrong with his collection except he's missing a Romanian military rifle chamberer in 5.56x45. Yes, 5.56x45 NATO!

The Romanian SAR-3 military rifle uses Wieger East German STG-940 magazines. These rifles were imported into the U.S. is small quantities between 1999 and early 2003. Excellent rifles however it's currently very hard and pricey to find original Wieger magazines.

Regards

I have one, but in 7.62x39. It was my first AK. The East German gas block and handguards are different from any other variant. I personally hated the furniture because it felt flimsy, but it had a decidedly sig 551 look of the handguard which I liked, but the clamshell handguard felt like a toy.

Since I hated the furniture so much though, I swapped it all out for something much more solid. All US made furniture of different kinds. MI forend, Magpul moe stock, and I don't recall the brand of the grip, but whatever it is, I like better regardless.

I'm pretty sure the one I bought was called the STG-2000C, but it was based on the 940.

It was imported by IO Inc., which has a TERRIBLE reputation as far as AK's go, and deservedly so considering their guns after they moved their manufacturing facility from NC to Florida, but this one being an Romanian import of the clone, has been an excellent gun. It even has a romanian import mark on the receiver. So, it's like an east german modded wasr LOL.

The Romanian SAR series were military rifles but different from the WASR 10 variants mainly in the receiver configuration (dimples vs no dimples easist way to tell).

The SAR-1 was in 7.62x39

The SAR-2 was in 5.45x39

The Sar-3 was in 5.56x45

Here's some background info on Romanian rifles.

SAR-1: 7.62, fixed stock, pistol grip, no threads, hi-cap, dimpled receiver
SAR-2: 5.45, fixed stock, pistol grip, no threads, hi-cap, dimpled receiver
SAR-3: 5.56, fixed stock, pistol grip, no threads, hi-cap, dimpled receiver
ROMAK 991: 7.62, thumbhole stock, lo-cap, nut welded over threads if threaded, no dimples on receiver
ROMAK 992 (lo-cap): 5.45, thumbhole stock, lo-cap, nut welded over threads if threaded, no dimples on receiver
ROMAK 992 (hi-cap): 5.45, fixed stock, pistol grip, no threads, hi-cap, no dimples in receiver, some had AK-74 muzzle braked welded on
ROMAK 1: 7.62, Dragunov stock, hi-cap, dimpled receiver, nut welded over threads if threaded
ROMAK 2: 5.45, Dragunov stock, hi-cap, dimpled receiver, nut welded over threads if threaded
MK-II: same as ROMAK 2
CUR 2: same as ROMAK 2 but better fit and finish and many came with muzzle brakes welded on
WUM-1: 7.62, thumbhole stock, hi-cap, nut welded over threads if threaded, dimpled receiver
WUM-2: 5.45, 7.62, thumbhole stock, hi-cap, nut welded over threads if threaded, dimpled receiver

WASR (pre 9-2004)
WASR-10 (lo-cap type 1): 7.62, thumbhole stock, nut welded over threads if threaded, no dimples in receiver
WASR-10 (lo-cap type 2): 7.62, fixed stock, pistol grip, nut welded over threads if threaded, no dimples in receiver
WASR-10 (hi-cap type 1): 7.62, thumbhole stock, nut welded over threads if threaded, no dimples in receiver
WASR-10 (hi-cap type 2): 7.62, fixed stock, pistol grip, nut welded over threads if threaded, no dimples in receiver

GP WASR-10: 7.62, fixed stock, pistol grip, threaded barrel with muzzle brake, bayonet lug, no dimples in receiver
GP WASR-10 Folder: same as GP WASR-10, but with a side-folding stock
WASR-2: 5.45, fixed stock, pistol grip, hi-cap, unthreaded barrel, no dimples in receiver
WASR-3: 5.56, fixed stock, pistol grip, hi-cap, unthreaded barrel, no dimples in receiver

MK-V: 7.62, AR-style collapsible stock, Galil handguard, hi-cap, threaded barrel with muzzle brake, bayonet lug, no dimples in receiver
AK MV: Same as GP WASR-10
AK MV Underfolder: Same as GP WASR-10 with underfolding stock
STG-2000C: 7.62, WASR receiver and trunnions, chrome-lined hammer forged GFM barrels, M-16 muzzle brakes, STG-940 furniture, STG-940 style AIR carbine FSB/Gas Block
STG-2002C: 5.45, WASR receiver and trunnions, chrome-lined hammer forged GFM barrels, M-16 muzzle brakes, STG-940 furniture, STG-940 style AIR carbine FSB/Gas Block
STG-2003C: 5.56, WASR receiver and trunnions, chrome-lined hammer forged GFM barrels, M-16 muzzle brakes, STG-940 furniture, STG-940 style AIR carbine FSB/Gas Block, STG-941 clone

Kit builds and non-WASRs
Model 1975: Romanian parts kit on US dimpled receiver, hi-cap, threaded muzzle with brake, bayonet lug, plastic furniture
Model 1975 Bullpup: Bullpup configuration, dimpled receiver, hi-cap, threaded barrel with muzzle brake
AK-47C: 7.62, Romanian parts kit with US dimpled receiver, hi-cap, STG-2003 buttstock and pistol grip
AK-47C side folder: same as AK-47C but with side-folding TAPCO stock and FAL-type pistol grip

AI: standard AK-47 using Type-1 receiver
AIS: AK-47 using Type-3 receiver
AIM (PM md 63): standard AKM, later models used donkey dong foregrip
AIMS (PM md 65): Underfolder AKM, donkey dong foregrip that curved back
PM md 90 (AIR): AIM with side-folding wire stock based on East German design
G-Model: Former Romanian Patriotic Guards (Garda) AKM (big "G" stamped on the left side of the RSB)
AIMS-74 (PA md 86): standard issue Romanian AK-74 with side-folding wire stock used on PM-md 90. First versions had fixed wood stocks similar to original Russian AK-74.
PA md 86 (Short or Commando): same as AIMS-74 with short barrel of only 11.9 inches, revised gas block with integral front sight, revised flash suppressor
Pa md 97: identical to PA md 86, but in 5.56
The PA stands for Pu&#351;c&#259; Automat&#259;, or Automatic Rifle. PM is for Pistol Mitralier&#259; or Pu&#351;c&#259; Mitralier&#259;, not sure.

That's a lot of info.

My East German x39 variant has no dimples. Shortened gas system. The gas block has the front sight on it, which is a shorter sight radius and different than a typical AK as well. Besides the different furniture, which I mentioned that I hated the OEM furniture. Felt like a toy.

2nd one down is my E. German clone/copy.

cuoiqRE.jpg

Back