• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wife's deer slayer

Guess I should tell what it is, Ruger 77/44. The idea is something that doesn't have much recoil but still get the job done at reasonable distances. First year she went hunting was last season because of me and she was just watching but I told her that I'd buy a gun if she was interested and their it is, really hard to find one around here with the Blued/walnut configuration, plenty of stainless models but them guns ain't purty with those synthetic stocks lol

Last edited:
Always nice to have your lady on board with hunting...

BTW...nice Ruger !!

Took her out yesterday to shoot it with iron sights to make sure she didn't mind the recoil being this is the first gun she ever shot. Of course I didn't expect her to be a dead on shot but she done good shooting free hand, I personally think this light short gun kicks way more than expected but she doesn't mind it at all so I'm happy.

Originally was planning on using a red dot but opted for a scope as me and her both get blurred out vision using iron sights, should be here Wednesday and hopefully have a good range report shortly after.

One issue I noticed when cleaning/inspecting the gun is I can get movement, very minute, but movement nonetheless when I push barrel with thumb and hold forearm, almost as if a stock screw is bottomed out before it's tight, might try a washer just to see.

Very nice.

Ironically I was just looking at one of those the other day. We can now use a rifles chambered in certain straight walled handgun calibers in the shotgun zone here in MI so I've been keeping my eyes open.

That's why I bought this for her as a handful of years ago they allowed it in Indiana and as this is her first gun and hopefully first deer to shoot I figured the effective range was plenty far for her to shoot.

Alright guys I'm needing help to figure this gun out. I've noticed one issue with this gun since I bought it. Grab the stock with two fingers and the push on barrel with thumb and their is an audible "click", I can't see much movement but my first guess was the front action screw was too long, I used a spacer and it only made it worse. Where do I look next????????

Can't explain it any better yet. To me it seems like the action screws would be too long but I used a spacer under barrel between it and stock and it only made it worse. Maybe its in the trigger guard. I can't seem to find anything. But I'm grabbing at the end of stock nearest muzzle and apply very little pressure to hear this noise.

Last edited:
Back