• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wild video of mountain lion

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I came across a video today that was titled something about mountain lion glock something warning shots. I'll link the video below to show just how lucky the guy is to be alive.

Mistakes I think he made.

1. letting the mountain lion get that close in the first place

2. Walking backwards. That would suck to trip over a stick and fall at that specific time in your life.

3. the obvious *I'm filming this for youtube

4. I'm going to state what I think happened. In my heart, I think the first shot was a miss. I think the guy saw the cat about to pounce and it scared him and he flinched and had a negligent discharge. Frankly, I don't think he was a good enough shot to shoot between it's legs at the split second that it's getting airborne.

*He's very fortunate that it did though and that the cat paused

5. Shot two, was a clear miss and indication that he should spend a lot more time shooting guns, than walking through idaho.

I also can't help but to think, video said he was elk hunting. Where was his rifle?

I would have fired warning shots long before the cat got that close. He would be dead or I would be out of ammo by that point.

Goes to show how motor skills take a dump when adrenalin hits.

Rifle would make more noise but a scoped gun would just be point and shoot at that range.

That was definitely a colon cleansing event and one I do not wish to duplicate

This guy is very lucky. I occasionally deal with these cougars (mountain lions) and people don't realize how fast they can charge you or their ability to leap.

The comments above are spot on.

Beyond being stupid I think his biggest problem was weapons grip and trigger displine. Or more importantly, the lack of both!

Yeah, in having read the video title better, it was a glock27, which is some sort of sawed off grip pistol, which I'm sure didn't help matters any.

I hate a grip that I only hold on to with 2 fingers and won't buy or own one because of that. I may as well throw rocks and handfuls of dirt at something.

This guy needs to buy a lottery ticket. A big cat like that can leap nearly 20 feet in a single pounce. I bet it was within range of that a few different times. I know that cameras make stuff look farther away than they really are sometimes. But had it not stopped it's attack on the first shot, I don't know if that guy would have been able to compose his self enough to make a shot in the milliseconds it would have taken for that cat to have grabbed hold of him.

John, you are right about a Glock 27. It's basically a compact 10 round pocket pistol in 40 S&W. Certainly, IMO, not a backup gun to be carrying here in Idaho where the other "friendly" creatures include both black and grizzly bears.

Cougars, like polar bears, will stalk a human. I seriously doubt this one just happened to be walking around and stumbled on the hunter. They typically will go for the back of the neck to kill their prey and then drag the kill into the brush to be eaten on over a period of time.

Given the choice of backup pistols wonder what rifle he was hunting elk with?

Even our bobcats are strong enough to drag an entire deer carcass. Never underestimate a big cat.

Here it is covering up the deer carcass with leaves before returning to move it.

I have a picture of a really big coyote skewerd up in the top of a tree that I believe that a big cat put there to keep the other animals from munching on it. Well, either a big cat or bigfoot. I didn't actually see what put it there so it could have been either one of them.

They are definately beautiful animals.

But not something to play around with. That guy in the video is lucky.

My guess is he was bow hunting for elk...it's pretty popular these days. Bow season just gives you more opportunity to hunt than you get with just rifle season.

I guess any gun is better than no gun but I never go into grizz country without a short barrel 12ga loaded up with slugs or a hunting partner packing a hunting rifle of sufficient caliber (IMO 7mm mag or larger). I know guys who have taken lots of black bears with 270's & 30-30's but I'm not so sure I like the odds with one of those against a grizz.

We have lots of cats here too but I have yet to have any kind of meaningful encounter. A year or two ago a local fella came across a cat cannibalizing what was likely a family member that had been hit by an ATV earlier in the day. Apparently, that cat was very aggressive and required a shot into the road with a rifle just ahead of it to stop a charge. The cat bugged out.

Yeah, in having read the video title better, it was a glock27, which is some sort of sawed off grip pistol, which I'm sure didn't help matters any.

I hate a grip that I only hold on to with 2 fingers and won't buy or own one because of that.
I carry a 26, which is the 9mm version of that gun (27 is .40S&W). I have a Scherer pinky grip extension that I find "solves" the 2-finger "issue".

I reread this thread this morning and thought I'd make a couple of comments. Out here in the west we've been having an increasing number of encounters with animals and several have resulted in injury or death. This original post video was from Idaho which is central to an area which encompasses a larger region from the Rockies in the east to the Cascades in the west across parts of Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and into British Columbia up north. Folks who participate in outdoor activities or work outside in this region certainly "may" come into contact with bears (grizz & black), mountain lions/cougars, wolves, coyotes, bobcats, bison, moose and elk. Not saying this will happen everywhere but folks out working, hunting, fishing, camping, hiking or even those doing tourist things should plan for and be prepared for a worst case scenario.

And yes, out here we have folks who will only carry bear spray and that's their choice. However, IMO folks should be prepared for the "worst case" scenario they might encounter where ever they are. The territory of animals like grizz and wolves have greatly expanded over recent years as the unchecked population has grown and we're seeing bears, including grizz now in urban areas.

Each person will have their own idea as to what caliber and type of weapon they choose to carry. That said, based on my observations and living in these mountainious areas the majority of local folks are choosing backup pistols in the 10mm, 41 or 44 mag calibers or 12 gauge shotguns. Shockwaves and TAC 14 in 12 gauge have become popular to carry on ATVs or in backpacks. While the choice of a specific weapon is up to the individual it's use should also be considered. If you encounter a bear charge or an aggressive cougar you will likely not have time to rack a round into either a pistol, rifle or shotgun. We've had folks killed carring a completely functional weapon but on an empty chamber.

If you're out hunting or ranching on horseback or in an ATV many folks will carry an approporiate caliber rifle but most also carry a backup pistol.

While folks can debate calibers all day the point I'd like to emphasis is that you should be immediately prepared for the worst possible encounter that might occur at any given moment.

Welcome coments and as always Regards

My cabin is not far from the headwaters of both the Similkameen and Skagit rivers in the (north or Canadian) Cascades. It's wild and rugged territory. I've seen all manner of tracks in our valley except grizzly. I have however, laid eyes on one not more than 10 km's into Manning Provincial Park of which, the west gate is well within walking distance for us. Suffice it to say I never take anything for granted around there.

Just a few weeks ago we were getting regular visits from this guy....someone in the area has been feeding him I'm sure or he's been getting access to garbage. He's been to my place a number of times and always goes straight to the black bags leaning against the stump there. There's no food, just old drywall in there ready to go for disposal...he comes up sniffs at it and then ambles away. We have a history of some extremely stupid people in our area. One couple had their place virtually destroyed when black bears decided that they weren't taking no for an answer and wanted more of whatever they had been feeding them. Tore the siding right off their place and ransacked the kitchen. Suffice it to say, the Conservation Officer service was none too happy and neither were their neighbors who had young kids there at the time.

They haven't been back. Place is vacant, overgrown and tarped up. Bears were captured and put down, except one youngster who escaped, I wonder if this is him?

20221023_160149.jpg

Some years ago our neighbor made a plaster cast of a cougar track from their front walkway...from my memory it was easily 10-12cm across which would make it likely to be an adult male. Haven't sighted a cougar yet myself but there are plenty of sightings locally. Had wolf tracks in my driveway two winters ago...appeared to be tracking a small mule deer. The deer tracks were quite small. Both sets of tracks appeared to be of about the same vintage. Hard to tell how old though as they were frozen into the snow by the time I saw them.

Wolves are not common there but I am confident I saw one as a teen back in the 80's when I was out terrorizing the place on my dirt bike. LOL

CMC, nice picture. We are having black bears everyday for the last month. They have eaten everything on the ground in our orchard and feasting on blackberries. Yesterday we had three - a large male, a slightly smaller female and a one year old. They have typically been coming out around 1700 in the afternoon and are staying around all night. We have two ponds and they have a trail to one of them plus we see muddy paw prints almost every day.

Here's some photos my wife took this last week. She also took the pictures above of the cougar and the bobcat. Over the last four days we've had about 80 photos on the trail cam.

thumbnail (1) (25).jpegthumbnail (1) (26).jpegthumbnail (1) (27).jpegthumbnail (1) (25).jpegthumbnail (1) (29).jpeg

Can be quite a hoot watching bears get into the rotting fruit left on the ground after harvest time.

An old clip...

I finally took the time to sit down and watch all of these and it was quite thrilling.

I have seen coyote, bear and deer in the wild up close, but never a big cat.

We watched my mom chase off a black bear off with a frying pan and a big spoon. I was about seven. I have seen black bear often going to Yosemite and Sequoia national monument.

But the only cats I have seen up close have been in zoos and circuses.

However, we do have a place half up the mountain called the Cat Haven, and I have been there with my granddaughters. They have every manner of large cat that can be kept in the climate.

After watching an agitated leopard, I would not want to be in a cage with any of them. I’ve had enough problems with ordinary barn cats to know better!

This is a very interesting thread. I have never seen a bear or big cat that was not confined, so I can't imagine the emotion involved.

At this stage of life I think I am content to see videos and read or listen to others accounts of their encounters.

You get used to having bears around and any that seem too comfortable I will make a point of making them uncomfortable. Whether that's with an ungodly racket or bright lights in their eyes while advancing on them from a distance. Some people are just plain stupid and can't help themselves and will try to lure bears into their property with food for fun. Those people piss me off something fierce. Bears generally want nothing to do with us and will often go well out of their way to avoid contact with us unless................there is attractants. "A fed bear is a dead bear". I know some people couldn't care less but problem bears are habituated by associating food and human contact. Makes for a very dangerous recipe near populated areas.

I figure if I do my part to make the bears shy, then it's less likely there will be a dangerous encounter between beast and human.

Our bears are so protected that they have lost their fear of humans. And aside from that, their numbers are so high that even the bear biologists admit that there are any many per mile here as what is is the smokey mountains, which is a huge bear tourist trap and has been for decades.

Just look up bad bear encounter smokey mountains on youtube I'm sure you'll find a lot of videos that may would surprise many.

@meanstreak, I have had one charge me while taking out trash before because it saw me as a threat to its' dinner about getting to the garbage bin before he did. And when you read that bears can run faster than a horse, they can. They're not something you want to play around with.

I've had to stand armed guard over my kids playing outside in our own yard. Most folks carry guns even while out mowing their yards here. People think I'm just making up stories, and there are many many many who blame the people here for the problem thinking the bears were here first and humans are some form of invader and for some reason the bears should just rule over the land and everything in it, but I'm pretty certain most of those people saying that only experience with bears is watching a yellow bear eating honey with christopher robin in the hundred acre woods on saturday morning. Maybe watching yogi and boo boo. If they had to deal with them in person in real life over a prolonged period of time, I'd be rather surprised if they didn't change their tunes very fast. Seems that a lot of people relish in being stupid.

Back