• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Will the 4x4 fit a Boyd's atr stock?

Hey guys, I have been wanting a new stock for my 4x4 chambered in .270. The thumbhole stocks from Boyd's look great and are exactly what I have been looking for. However, they only have them for the atr. The distance between the action screws are the same as the 4x4. But the difference is the 4x4 uses a detachable magazine whereas the atr uses a blind magazine. I'm wondering if the 4x4 could be converted into a blind magazine because it looks like the stock will fit. I plan on glass bedding the stock as well. If anyone has any input please chime in. If this could work then that may solve everyone's stock upgrade problems for the 4x4.

Howdy RedWrecker,

Have you found your answer on this yet? I believe these rifles are based on the same action, but I'd contact Joe at Mossberg for a definitive answer...

Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

Good luck and keep us posted...

Thanks for the response. No I have not found an answer yet, even after a lot of research. I believe it will fit. But the problem is the detachable magazine to blind magazine conversion. I tried finding spare atr magazine boxes but had no luck. I'll post a solution if I find one.

Was an answer to this question ever found? I got a really crappy stock after I ordered my 4x4 in .243 and did not get the stock as it was advertised. I would therefore like to replace it.

guy's i'm not sure if anyone got an answer yet. seeing how Boyd's is a member here,shoot them a PM.
BOYDSGUNSTOCKS

I am very interested in purchasing the 4x4, and unfortunately I cannot find the sculpted laminate stock version from 2010-2012 anywhere! The model that came with that stock, the fluted barrel, LBA trigger and muzzle brake was exactly what I wanted. well, I have done extensive research and have yet to find a company that will fit the 4x4. I was really set on this setup but I don't know that I can wait until someone actually wants to sell that specific rifle. They must be pretty awesome if no one is getting rid of them

Howdy RockyMountain4x4,

Is this the stock you're lookin for?

If so, the stocks were contracted out to Altamont Company. The photo above was downloaded from their product gallery...

Altamont Company: PAST WORK GALLERY

Don't know if they're still making the stocks, but it wouldn't hurt to give them a call...

Altamont Company
901 N. Church Street
P.O. Box 309
Thomasboro, IL 61878

Email: sales@altamontco.com
Telephone: (800) 626-5774

oh man! I would have loved to purchase that! However, I just called them and ordered the Black Silhoutte for my .270 WIN. As much as I love that original stock (what made me really love the 4x4), I have decided that the Silhoutte was worth it. They are shipping it to me tomorrow 9.12.2013 and it cost me $212.00 total. I am very excited. I will post pictures once the rifle, stock, and Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40mm scope is received.

Yessir! I am very excited. It shipped out yesterday and the rifle shipped today, so I assume by next wednesday I'll have it all ready to go. I assume the Nikon 4-12x40mm pro staff will be here as well.

looks to be a very promising setup

So far, my experience attempting to build this project has been more trouble than its worth.

1. BudsGuns online took forever to get it out.. 10+ days. I will use Cheaperthan dirt from now on.
2. Doug at Altamont was originally confused when speaking with me, I ordered what I thought was that black silhouette stock ($212 shipped!). . . it arrived and turned out to be the regular laminate stock that comes on the firearm. needless to say I was not pleased, but the firearm was already in transit so I was at the very least out $35 for a restock fee.
but wait, its gets better.
3. I decide to keep the stock until the firearm arrives to see if its worth it. Well, turns out that the trigger housing is ACTUALLY PART OF THE POLYMER STOCK! so, I can't install the "factory" stock from Altamont anyway. Now I am stuck with a cheap piece of garbage of a firearm.

I could not be more disappointed with the quality or design of the product (feels like a toy) and with the company of Altamont. I would avoid that company as they appear to be inept. Hopefully Mossberg will stand behind their product and return my money and take the firearm.

I should have never gotten rid of my savage.

Sorry to see you're having these issues.

Good luck getting it sorted out and keep us posted...

Here is the update. I called Mossberg, and of course they wouldn't buy back the firearm. However, Altamont (to their credit) has been gracious enough to provide a return shipping label and I will receive a complete refund. Mossberg actually sells the laminate wood stock for $99.00 with trigger housing but because I was not pleased he said he'd sell it for $95 and $8.95 shipping. every bit helps I suppose.

What this experience has taught me is that sometimes being a follower isn't a bad thing. I wanted to avoid the Savage 111 XP in .270 because my friend and his nephew both own the firearm with the boyd's laminate stock. In all honesty I should have went that direction because after installing a rifle basix trigger, my buddy is punchin a nickel at 100 yards with a Savage 111 in 7mm and I have seen it first hand. He hasn't even glass bedded it.

My 11VT in .308 could shoot the same out of the box with Corelokt. but the bull barrel and the caliber just weren't a right fit for hunting in Colorado. I felt like I had to hoard the ammo whenever I found it and I wasn't comfortable with doing that to other shooters. 270 is everywhere. I do appreciate this site and I am sure the 4x4 will be a tack driver. I'm taking it to my property this weekend to start breaking in the barrel and hopefully after 40 rounds I'll be shooting sub 1.5 MOA at 100 yards.

I'll post pictures once the stock comes in. for about $420, if it shoots, it will be worth it I suppose.
However, my initial impression of the rifle is that it feels quite cheap. The box magazine is definitely sub par to the Savage as well as the action and trigger. Not that Savage is the bees knees, but I've shot a few of them in the 11 and 111 models and they were impressive at the $400 price range.

Thanks for the update.

Glad to see you're getting squared away. I'm definitely lookin forward to your range report...

Hello again,

I would like to give kudos to altamont for their willingness to permit me to return the rifle stock after miscommunication.

So, range day. I spent two days at the range, put 40 shots downrange (20 corelokt 130 grain and 20 wincester ballistic silver tip 130 grain), aside from becoming familiar with the firearm and multiple shooter errors, the rifle was shooting roughly 1 MOA at 100 yards. The only noticeable difference between the two ammo types was how remarkably clean the wincester burns. That alone is worth the extra $10 to me.
I shot the corelokt in Keystone, Colorado with an elevation of roughly 9,350 feet elevation. Day two I shot the wincester at roughly 5500 elevation in Erie, Colorado. Both days crystal clear skies.

when I focused on my breathing, concentrated on proper trigger pull and did not jerk from excitement/nerves, it was consistently placing 1 MOA triangles. I was taking roughly 3-4 shots two minutes apart, and then cleaning the rifle and letting it cool down. For a brand new rifle with cheap scope rings, I was very pleased. Any shot placement that was outside of 1 MOA I could honestly say was user error and/or heated barrel. Yesterday I shot the corelokt alone and today I shot the wincester at a range with my buddy. He verified with me on multiple shots that it appeared I was responsible for the misplaced shots. I figure that the combination of my unrefined technique, new rifle and middle of the road ammo provided less than optimal results and I have 100% confidence in the accuracy of this firearm. Trust and believe I will be focusing significant time with this rifle and learning how to become a better shot.

I'm shooting a Nikon Prostaff IV BDC reticle 4-12x40mm scope (love it! can't beat it for the money).

at 200 yards my buddy and I shot nearly the same exact hole on our first shots when we agreed where to aim (wasn't sure with the wind and change in distance- and I didn't adjust the scope until after he shot). Even the gentlemen assisting at the range was impressed with that accuracy with factory loads.
my impression: Beautiful rifle, although the magazine and bolt feels cheap, is definitely a very accurate firearm and it will be quite some time before I learn to maximize its potential.

below is my issue with the service:

After having dealt with Mossberg customer service, I was very close to selling the new rifle and my 590 because I have never experienced such disrespect, ineptitude and overall inconsiderate service from any company. This alone will prevent me from ever recommending Mossberg to anyone ( and I love my 590). I simply cannot stand behind a company that places such a low value on customer service. This is as nice as I can be after 7 straight days dealing with customer service. I was told I would receive a confirmation email (4 calls later- still no email), after placing the order for the laminate stock (89.95 shipped - nice!), I had to call 4 times to get an update on the tracking number. order placed early monday, still did not get processed wednesday, and finally someone there actually pushed it to expedited delivery. day 4, finally received a tracking number and the service rep said it wouldn't be there til tuesday, but when I checked, it was due to be here friday. It came friday. Wow! Unbelievable. Although I am excited, I hope to never have to contact them again - I may just sell the rifle rather than have to go through that mess again.

This is not the first bad story I've heard about OFM Customer Service. It's unfortunate. I'm glad to hear the rifle shoots good, and I hope you enjoy it and don't have to contact them again any time soon.

I was told I had to either return my 4x4 and buy a different rifle or just live with the stock they sent me. I ordered the brown laminate and got a black zytel with a big hole where most of the shoulder stock should be.
I might try again when I can afford the stock but am not getting my hopes up, as stated C/S is spotty at best.

Back