• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Will you ever feel that your gun collection is complete?

honkey

.270 WIN
I am beginning to wonder if I will ever feel that I don't need anymore guns. I had been feeling perfectly content after getting my 9mm, and now just a few weeks later the itch has come back. I will most likely be picking up an AK47 this weekend, and I really should stop buying for a while after that, but people keep posting pics of 1911's in that thread! :evil: I was wondering what you guys think you still need to have a truly complete collection of firearms.
Previously, I thought that a good revolver, a semi-auto pistol, a bolt action rifle, a pump action shotgun, and a .22 pistol was a well rounded collection. Now I feel like a semi-auto rifle could really complete what I own and a 1911 would be a good bonus.

I've not added any guns to my collection in quite a while to be perfectly honest and have sold more in the last 2 years than I ever have during any other certain timeframe.

I'm very content with the ones I do have but that doesn't mean that I won't buy a gun if it's something I've wanted for a while or is just too good of a deal to pass up.

I don't have a huge collection, but I have covered all the bases for what I need. But to answer the question, no, my collection will never be complete. There will always be something different, new or old that have not tried yet.

I have been much more particular about what I add to the collection lately. I try to make sure everything has a purpose, even if I can't specifically define what that purpose is at the time. :lol:

Well, I guess I have to make my next purchase count. My fiancee tells me that I can get the AK47 and one more gun and that I need to be done for at least until we get married and settle down. (About a year away)

Not to butt into your business, and you handle it how you see is fit and I know I'm only seeing a part of the whole story, but if you're earning your money, spend it how you need or want.

Now's not the time for a girl to tell you what to or not to spend it on. That just starts a bad habit that you'll regret later if you're not careful. I've seen a lot of marriages fail because of stuff like that.

Do as you see is right; that's just my internet 2 cents. But I've given my own sons that same advice. As long as the kids are fed, clothed, taken care of, all of the bills are paid, if you earned it and want to spend some of your hard earned money sometimes, there's nothing wrong with that.

honkey said:
...I need to be done for at least until we get married and settle down. (About a year away)

I somewhat have to agree with John. "About a year away" can very easily end up being a carrot on a stick.

It's not so much a collection as an on going project involving tools and accessories that I buy, sell and use according to needs, desires or curiosity. HD is right up there - that's pretty stable for now but it took a while to get a CCW system sorted out. Competition and fun are a little more elusive and esoteric - that will keep my activities moving most of the time. My want list (recently posted here) included mags and ammo - both purchased this week (have an IDPA match Sat. and wanted one more mag and range sessions helped me narrow down a round for the 40 S&W that I will try this time - longer barrel than my 9s). I don't have a pocket 9 which I see a use for this summer - looking for the Ruger but considering others and I can see applications for a pistol cart carbine - favoring the Kel Tec Subh 2000 as I can use Glock mags that I already own and I love the light weight and the great way it folds down. That said - I've decided that my Crimson Trace is pretty much useless for the way that I shoot so I'll post that for sale today. It's for a Glock so it will go on St. Louis Craigs List looking for fast cash and Glock Talk as the two most likely places to reach the right markets. Funds from that will go to the last two guns mentioned. Late last year I decided that Blazer ammo did not work for me and I sold 40 boxes to finance a rifle - I'm not lacking in 9mm and the Blazer really did prove slow and sloppy. The same is true in 40 but I only have a little left and have been getting good deals on Federal at Wally recently (and Am. Eagle as the generic version). Good practice ammo IMHO and been running lower than White Box Winchester lately by a bit.

Collection - no.

Ever evolving, entertaining and useful project - you bet!!

End of rant.

I have about 5 I don’t think I can live without and the other 35 just kind of sit around only to be shot every now and then, some haven’t been shot in years. I think I am done for a while unless one of my 5 ends up missing or I see something that is a crazy deal.

John A. said:
Not to butt into your business, and you handle it how you see is fit and I know I'm only seeing a part of the whole story, but if you're earning your money, spend it how you need or want.

Now's not the time for a girl to tell you what to or not to spend it on. That just starts a bad habit that you'll regret later if you're not careful. I've seen a lot of marriages fail because of stuff like that.

Do as you see is right; that's just my internet 2 cents. But I've given my own sons that same advice. As long as the kids are fed, clothed, taken care of, all of the bills are paid, if you earned it and want to spend some of your hard earned money sometimes, there's nothing wrong with that.

Good points, really we just did a budget for the year and if we stick to it, I have enough money to spend on another gun and we will still have money for bills, a new car, and money for the unknowns (vet bills for my dog, etc.) We've been together since we were 14, so when I spend money that she thinks is ridiculous, she just mocks me for it.

I have one more on the "needs" list, a good AR15, then it is time to work on the "wants". I have always had to sell something to get something and I made a pact with myself that I would not sell anymore of my guns, so my "wants" will take some time.

I'm with JohnA on that post. And so is my wife. Her words were exactly what he said. "As long as the bills are paid, you buy whatever you want."....I found a keeper. And as long as I get her a pair of shoes and some bling every now and then, she's a happy camper, and so am I.

If Momma ain't happy, nobody's happy.

Oh...and no my collection is not complete. At all. I doubt it ever will be. She wants me to make a gun room! Not just a closet either!

ripjack13 said:
I'm with JohnA on that post. And so is my wife. Her words were exactly what he said. "As long as the bills are paid, you buy whatever you want."....I found a keeper. And as long as I get her a pair of shoes and some bling every now and then, she's a happy camper, and so am I.

If Momma ain't happy, nobody's happy.

Oh...and no my collection is not complete. At all. I doubt it ever will be. She wants me to make a gun room! Not just a closet either!

Nice. My GF is pretty much the same way except she has no interest in bling. She does appreciate good cutlery though, and I can't argue with that ;). Plus I'm starting to get her interesting in guns. She doesn't like the recoil of my 9mm but she loves shooting the .22s.

She's even mentioned interest in adding onto the basement to make a hidden saferoom (her idea not mine!!) Gotta love that vein of thought.

MikeD said:
She's even mentioned interest in adding onto the basement to make a hidden saferoom (her idea not mine!!) Gotta love that vein of thought.

I figured out that answer a long while back.

Mine doesn't like my gunsafe taking up so much room in the den, doesn't like them (or their parts) scattered all over the house when I'm getting ready to go hunting or shooting, or when I get them home and have to break down all the pieces for a good cleaning.

Having a dedicated room is just their way of getting more of the rest of the house LOL

But working it to your advantage is good too.

I'd love to have a secret room. Even a decent closet size secret room would make me content

Back