• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Williams 'Ace in the Hole' sight...for the M500 in .410?

Dirty Bob

Copper BB
I have a 500E and want to install peep/ghost ring sights on it. I'm looking at the Williams 'Ace in the Hole' rail/sight system. I can make my own front sight base and install it, but will the rail fit my 500E? I know holes will have to be drilled/tapped, but will the shape/size of the AitH fit my receiver? Any experience with this sight?

I'm also open to suggestions for other rear sight setups for my little .410 pump gun. Ghost rings are the final goal, but I'd be happy putting on at the rear of a rail, or using a saddle mount, if necessary.

Thanks for your experience and expertise!

Dirty Bob

I'm not familiar with this sight but I know the receiver on the 500E is quite a bit narrower than the that of the 500A so I doubt it will hug the top of the receiver.

Thanks for the good advice. I decided to go with a rail for the 500. It isn't a perfect fit for the curve on the receiver top of my 500E, but it's just the right length, and it should be very solid when the screw are in place. I found a UTG rear aperature sight but still need to fabricate a front. I purchased an 18.5" Cylinder bore barrel straight from Mossberg. It arrived from Eagle Pass, TX earlier this week. :)

Dirty Bob

How much was a .410 cylinder choked barrel?
What part number did you order?
Do they come in longer barrels, cylinder choked?

Did not know they made them.
I know 2 people that would love one for Skeet shooting......me being one.

It was about $66 + tax and shipping. Came out to about $83, IIRC. I don't remember the part number. I just told them what I wanted, and the nice customer service person took the info. I didn't ask about longer cylinder barrels. When I asked about other barrels, hoping to hear about a cantilever slug barrel or something, she described the 24" Full choke barrel from my Field model.

It took a coupla' weeks to arrive, in a bigger box than necessary. I really like the barrel and am eager to make a new front sight for it. I'm planning to leave the bead in place and to make a sight that fits over it and uses the bead (instead of a set screw) to prevent movement.

I'm looking forward to having a mini "slugger". I made the mistake of following a link from this forum to the Smallbore Shotguns blog (https://smallboreshotgun.wordpress.com/), and I really got interested in seeing what a .410 can do. Now I have some components on the way to try making a load from the BPI "'Rifle' Loads for the .410" pamphlet. It uses a single 000 buckshot in a high velocity pumpkin ball load. It's supposed to produce around 2,600 fps (IIRC) with no pressure issues. Looks like something fun for jugs of water!

Anyway, I need to post a pic of the .410 and barrels in the other thread.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

Back