• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Winchester "Universal" Shotgun ammo

gumbydammit

.270 WIN
We recently had a guy come in the shop with a brand new shotgun that wasn't extracting or ejecting spent shells. We replaced the extractor (not a Mossberg BTW), the ejector, the action bars, all kinds of stuff while trouble shooting the problem.

Turns out, the problem was the ammo. He was using Winchester Universal shotshells. Instead of a brass base, they use steel. For some reason, it just would not function in his gun.

Save yourself some time and money, before you go out and buy a case of this ammo, buy a box and shoot it so you're sure your gun will function with it.

Good lookin out, Thanks for the heads up!

I have some steel base stuff now from Remington I'll be tryin very soon!

I have faith that your Mossberg’s will devour anything with a 12 gauge stamp on it.

The two heads up I can give on steel case ammo and steel base SG shells

Rust and steel on steel.....meaning brass gives to steel so extractors won’t wear out on brass. Unless extractors are hardened steel they eventually wear out on steel case ammo. That being said I have run about 2000 rounds of steel case ammo through my mini14 over the years and haven’t had a problem. Mini’s are very robust though.

The gun we were dealing with was brand new, bought the day before. These were the first rounds ever fired from it. The ammo was bought at the same time.

I have read about steel case bullets and I stay away from them - especially in my M4. I have used aluminum cased CCI in my G20 with no ill effects, but in a Glock you can shoot almost anything including puffed rice. :mrgreen:

aluminum is softer than steel so you wont have extractor/ejector problems....sometimes aluminum likes to stick in the chamber and the extractor will pull the rim of the case off, but the ammo companies seem to have aluminum cases figured out these days

I bought a box of these at BassPro and so far, they run through my 590 without any issues. I've only gone through about 80 so far though, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

Ive run every type of bulk pack ammo thru my maverick without issue.
Steel is pretty dry stuff. soft metal on steel acts like a bit of lubricant and will slide easier than steel on steel.

Back