• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Woods range/SD training?

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
My 45 yo daughter has developed an interest in armed self defense lately, and is coming down for a visit in a couple weeks. She does know the basics of handguns and shooting, but wants me to help her out with more advanced handling. Since I have a fair piece of woods, I'm thinking about setting up some targets (balloons) in the woods to try to simulate the surprise/unexpected factor. So it would be a walk in the woods with 3 or 4 evil balloons waiting behind trees, etc. She wouldn't know where they were but the objective would be to pop the balloons as she saw them.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

As long as there won't be anything/anyone beyond the targets in the line of fire it seems like a good idea to me.

The archery course at our range is set up this way. There's a trail through the woods and 3D targets are positioned at various points and distances off the path, some in plain sight, some partially obscured by brush. The targets are moved every couple weeks which keeps it interesting. There are several deer, a turkey, a couple hogs, a coyote, and a baboon just for $#!+$ and giggles. I'll tell ya the first time I rounded the corner and saw the snarling yote I almost crapped my pants. Damn thing looks too real...

As long as there won't be anything/anyone beyond the targets in the line of fire it seems like a good idea to me.

The archery course at our range is set up this way. There's a trail through the woods and 3D targets are positioned at various points and distances off the path, some in plain sight, some partially obscured by brush. The targets are moved every couple weeks which keep sit interesting. There are several deer, a turkey, a couple hogs, a coyote, and a baboon just for $#!+$ and giggles. I'll tell ya the first time I rounded the corner and saw the snarling yote I almost crapped my pants. Damn thing looks too real...

That's the idea I was basing this on. I've got enough land that there's no danger to anyone else. Shoot out back all the time.

Outstanding Idea! Never too old to learn safe gun handling! :D

I don't have woods to shoot in but maybe end the "course" with a little interactive "target" shooting. I'm thinking those thick paintsticks or similar with a can or similar screwed to it. Then screw to a tree. She could shoot the stick until the can drops...

I have 3 HD pumps...,two Mossberg's and a Ithaca m37, all 12 ga guns. I did the same thing with all three. Longest distance in my house I might shoot is 21', so I set up a target at 21' and shoot it with the loads I intend to use. I need to know the size of the pattern and where center of pattern is compared to my aim point. Most people think shotgun patterns are much bigger than they really are. At 21' using OO buck patterns go from 6-8", so in a adrenalin fueled HD situation you could MISS easily. I don't use pistol grips on my HD guns....I prefer a 13" lop wood buttstock so I can hit what I'm shooting at and my "last round" amounts to a d_m good club......jmo.......Mike
m
'

zoner, sounds like you have a logical approach to seeing how your guns act at the distances you're likely to need them.

I think there are several here that have done the same.

My 45 yo daughter has developed an interest in armed self defense lately, and is coming down for a visit in a couple weeks. She does know the basics of handguns and shooting, but wants me to help her out with more advanced handling. Since I have a fair piece of woods, I'm thinking about setting up some targets (balloons) in the woods to try to simulate the surprise/unexpected factor. So it would be a walk in the woods with 3 or 4 evil balloons waiting behind trees, etc. She wouldn't know where they were but the objective would be to pop the balloons as she saw them.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

Sometimes, I have a perverse sense of humor. I'm thinking about some poor deliveryman just trying to deliver a bunch of birthday balloons. Take care. Tom Worthington

Sounds like a plan as long as you have a good backstop.

As she progresses you can incorporate "innocent" balloons into the mix. It adds a whole new dynamic and requires movement to angle shots that do not pop "innocent" balloons. ;-D

Sounds easy but not so much when you get tunnel vision.

Hickock45 creeps thru his woods shooting 2-liter soda bottles, so I think your balloons would do quite nicely!

Back