• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Workin for a livin....

Re: What is it you do?

Sheet metal fabrication. I actually do a lot through the course of a day, but am only listed on paper as the PEM Dept. Manager. Also operate a 4400W Bystronic Byspeed 3015 laser :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Archametes, do you do anything with Water Jets (Cutters)? When I was in school, Lockheed Martin gave my MET/CAM/CAD class a tour of their facility to show us the different machines we could potentially be running one day and the Water Jet Cutter was by far the neatest!

I design equipment for an oil field service company.
Most of the time sitting in the office, but occasionally, usually with no notice, I'm on a plane to some place the locals don't even wanna be to fix equipment that has everyone mad.

I put two pieces of metal together with other metal that's bein melted and fused by electric current. Some days I weld stuff too! :D

Sometime I cut big pieces into small pieces and other times I have to make the small pieces into big pieces...

I've been welding for 13 years or so now, but have been building pressure vessels for industry for just 18 mos I guess, structural steel iron worker before that.

We make reactors and heat-exchangers as well as ambient pressure tanks for who knows what. I know I've done tanks for holding maple syrup before...

Itsricmo said:
Must be a fun job than, always a possibility of something new?
I was in Cairo a couple months before the coup d'etat, I've been detained and deported from former soviet union state. Spent a June in UAE. Bounced between Norway, UK, and Indonesia for about three months. Then you go sit in the office for several months at a time and actually get caught up on my day job.

lol detained and deported... sounds even more fun!! :D haha
I bounce between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg for work. That is about as far as my work takes me. Can't say I have seen anything as exciting as you :(

Itsricmo said:
lol detained and deported... sounds even more fun!! :D haha
I bounce between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg for work. That is about as far as my work takes me. Can't say I have seen anything as exciting as you :(
detained and deported isn't as much fun as it sounds... I spent 28 hours in a room at the airport.
Luckily, I had put a long sleeve shirt in my laptop bag, the room was unheated, it was probably in the 60s in that room. and no internet.

Hopefully they let you drive harrisburg to pittsburgh. It would suck to have to deal with an airport for 250 miles.

Rats. I was in the middle of doing it after I posted. And poof it disapeared... :)

It's coolio...my phones a pita. Slow arse darn thing.

Rossignol said:
I put two pieces of metal together with other metal that's bein melted and fused by electric current. Some days I weld stuff too! :D

Sometime I cut big pieces into small pieces and other times I have to make the small pieces into big pieces...

I've been welding for 13 years or so now, but have been building pressure vessels for industry for just 18 mos I guess, structural steel iron worker before that.

We make reactors and heat-exchangers as well as ambient pressure tanks for who knows what. I know I've done tanks for holding maple syrup before...

I have a friend from high school that travels around making that stuff for different industries. His best gig is "boiler maker" in Hawaii. He spend a month down there and EVERYTHING was paid for except for gifts and random stuff... Hotel costs, food, adult beverages..

Bumpin up to see some new members stuff......

ripjack13 said:
Bumping for Gunny Gene!!!

Not quite sure what I can contribute to this thread. I've worked at one thing or another (disregarding my time in the Corps) since I was 10 years old (58 years worth). Pinsetter in a bowling alley, mechanic, ditch digger, gas pumper, teacher, statistician, dishwasher, aerospace engineer, woodworking, and other stuff. Any job is better than no job, and every job is honorable. :)

I'll say this: I've never worked for pay for a poor man, and I've never taken welfare or unemployment of any kind.

I wanted to show ya what I have made. Page 1. Page 3. Page 4 are pix of what I have done...

Back