• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Your .243's preferred bullet weight

Camel73

.22LR
Hey all,
It would be interesting to collect some numbers regarding what bullet weights have (or haven't) worked for you in your 100 ATR .243, specifically.

I drop by only so often here, and I know there isn't much action, but I thought maybe I'd try... If your buddies have one please relay the news.

I have a 2011 (pretty sure), with the 10 twist (also pretty sure that's all they were offered in) and have only fed it factory 55-58gr stuff and so far so good, to 300 anyhow. I thought I was going to shoot it waaay more, but some health issues got in the way.

I really love the rifle. It still wears the factory (worked-over) stock, but whatever. It was my coyote gun and it did it's job very well. It wears a 4-16x40 wide angle Bushnell that was on sale that I've barely had to touch the dials on since I got it. Ya, red/green ret. Trigger is sweeet. It came whisper light (probably because it was rubbing on the stock, but whatever!) so I haven't needed to touch it.

I reload for my 30-30 and love it, so naturally I'm looking to reload for the .243, hopefully this winter. My 1/10 twist 90+gr .243 learning curve will begin soon enough. I was thinking on trying the 95gr classic hunter from berger...

Anyhow, I thought it might be worth a try. Tell a .243 story that you like, but I'm really lookin for 100 ATR .243 bullet experiences.

Last edited:
Hi. I love the .243 cartridge.

I've been in love with the all-copper GMX or Barnes bullets but with their extra length for the same weight of lead core it was hard to find a great load. Or a tight enough twist.

The best MY rifle ever shot was with Combined Technology (Nosler and Winchester) 95-gr Ballistic Silvertip and Varget.

Hi nitesite,
Tell me some .243 stories, please, lol :rolleyes:
How far were you sending those 95's? And what year is your ATR?
A while ago I knew of a spot where the closest I could get a shot was 600 yards. Since I got my Mossberg in .243 I've wanted to step it up a notch and load some proper bullet weights for the 1/10 twist and a distance of 600 yards. By the looks of things so far, the 87's seem like a safe bet. It would be nice if the 95+ worked though.

Back