• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SCCY CPX1 Stay Tuned

Paul605

We all get asked by people people that are new to HD or CC concepts about weapons.

In my case, they often don't have a lot of discretionary money to toss around.

I also have multiple "bags" that I have "around" that I would like to have a dedicated weapon in...ready to go...

With that in mind I bought 2 CPX2's to test...

I will wring on them pretty hard...and post back in this thread.

Local (to me--Daytona) company but I don't have one YET. Do let us know how it (they ;)) work out... Ratings have been favorable for what it is.

They are made in USA and have an absolutely unbeatable warranty.

I would buy with confidence until something so totally negative made me change my mind.

Ran 500 rounds downrange. Used one to teach with yesterday. I have pictures and some short video to share as soon as I can figure out why I am having trouble getting images to post here.

This is truly a weapon that fits in the "Mossberg" market niche. Less money for an extremely functional weapon!

I will post some written review over the next couple of days, and some pictures from the range sessions. I have to drive about 100 miles tonight to pick up a "six-pack: of these...yes I am that impressed! The next 4 to complete the "twelve-pack" will have to wait until they get some more in stock...I am not buying anything in pink or purple...lol. Five hundred rounds...not one FTF, FTE or FTL. I had one round that took a slight bump on the rear of the slide to go into battery...close examination revealed a good sized grain of sand embedded in the brass of that round. Probably from my less than stellar housekeeping on the loading table...nothing I can blame on the weapon or the ammunition.

Fired 10 different kinds/makes of ammunition. It readily ran all of it. Yes, even ran some light recoil reloads through it, along with some "designer projectile" defense rounds.

In a nutshell, I will have eight weapons that I will trust to defend me for less than the cost of a good Bellini shotgun.

Last edited:
The DAO trigger has been mentioned in many reviews as a negative on the weapon. I found it to be a very manageable "light feel" 8 pound pull with a very predictable and repeatable crisp fall. On the starin gauge it shows just a slight 1/2 pound "ramp" just prior to break. After a little experience with the weapon, it allowed me to pre-load the pull and improve the accuracy. As with all DAO fire controls, it requires what I feel is a moderate release to reset for the next round.

The SCCY is on my short list for a economic 9mm for my wife.
Good to hear about the positive experience with it.
I'm tired of the "gun snob" always saying you can't rely on a economically priced handgun.

I have encouraged many people who asked me about an affordable 9mm pistol to go with a SCCY.

I think they are pretty good firearms and are reliable and well constructed.

The SCCY is on my short list for a economic 9mm for my wife.
Good to hear about the positive experience with it.
I'm tired of the "gun snob" always saying you can't rely on a economically priced handgun.
Exactly! The simple fact is that if a weapon is reliable, any idiosyncrasies in operation can be handled with training. I often want to comment on the web when I read the complaints of little weapon peculiarities...and ask if they are training with their weapons.

I have encouraged many people who asked me about an affordable 9mm pistol to go with a SCCY.

I think they are pretty good firearms and are reliable and well constructed.

Whats the difference between the cx-1 and the cx-2 ?

Whats the difference between the cx-1 and the cx-2 ?
Apparently...and I have no personal experience with this...the safety was a bit problematic. I can tell you that I have no concerns with the CPX2 (no manual safety). The DAO fire control group is very sufficient.

Ok, in the "Six-Pack" of these SCCY CPX2's that I picked up, I ran into one tiny little oops. I sat down to do a pre-fire clean on them, and did like I always do. I wiped them down lightly with Hoppe's #9 prior to detail cleaning. Wiped the white paint right out of the rear sight dimples on one weapon. Then tried to make the the dots go away on the other seven...and all remained just fine. Figured if i was "re-dotting" I was going to get all of them that needed it...nope...just the one.

It must have been a poor cure on that one weapon, and is an easy fix.

All eight of these weapons have had at least 200 rounds each through them. One of them has now over 2000 through it. Not a hiccup...

All eight of these weapons have had at least 200 rounds each through them. One of them has now over 2000 through it. Not a hiccup...

Good to hear. I was looking for a pocket pistol was looking at the Ruger LCP, but after reading up on the SCCY I think I'll go with it.

Ok, in the "Six-Pack" of these SCCY CPX2's that I picked up, I ran into one tiny little oops. I sat down to do a pre-fire clean on them, and did like I always do. I wiped them down lightly with Hoppe's #9 prior to detail cleaning. Wiped the white paint right out of the rear sight dimples on one weapon. Then tried to make the the dots go away on the other seven...and all remained just fine. Figured if i was "re-dotting" I was going to get all of them that needed it...nope...just the one.

It must have been a poor cure on that one weapon, and is an easy fix.

Can you tell me what ammo were you using with the CPX 2 ?

Can you tell me what ammo were you using with the CPX 2 ?
I have run the gambit through them. Fifty percent of it has been American Eagle 115 grain FMJ, because I have a local farm store that sells the 100 round value packs of it for $8.35. The other fifty percent has been a bit of everything. Some Fiocci 147 grain FMJ and 124 grain Extrem HP. Also ran some Blazer Brass 115 grain FMJ. And some Federal Aluminum Case 115 grain FMJ. Then ran 50 rounds of Winchester USA Forged 115 grain FMJ Steel Cased. Then I loaded up some Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain +P...20 rounds. Also ran some light recoil loads that I loaded 95 Grain JSP...reduced powder throw.

Everything ran perfect!

Good to hear. I was looking for a pocket pistol was looking at the Ruger LCP, but after reading up on the SCCY I think I'll go with it.
I truly have no problem being absolutely certain that I can trust my life to them going bang...and that is a big hurdle for me in any carry weapon!

Back