• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which one?

Should I buy a new 590 and kit it up or a used 500 for half price? Would make it a project/fun gun for myself. Would shoot it as a rough gun on the field. Durability matters.

I'd go with the 500 for a field gun.

With the 5+1 mag tube your options will be pretty much wide open to the vast array of aftermarket 500 field barrels as well as the 18.5" security/persuader barrels. With a 590, you will have to replace the mag tube to use 835 field barrels unless you go with an 18.5" 590A1. The only real advantage a 590 would offer over a 500 is the ability to add a mag tube extension, but for a field gun that isn't really a viable option anyway...

x2 for the 500. they are plenty durable. parts and accessories are readily available across the board.

With those factors at play I'd say the model 500 would suit your needs with the fewest modifications required...

I'm short, so I would like to shorten stock by fixing an ATI 6 position adjustable stock, so I can reach the for end with a proper grip. Would change for end too, from wood to plastic. but which one? Gun would be used in the wet, rain, etc. Field gun.

i used a Knoxx SpecOps for awhile, with the powerpack riser. which is similar to the Archangel you linked. but deciding to keep mine home defence specific i returned back to the traditional stock. as far as your LOP is concerned you could easily shorten the wood stock you have, or even a composite stock and refit the butt pad.

Mr. Courtney,

Glad you have a Model 500 and look forward to hearing more about your shooting adventures!

It also fascinates me to think about how you like the shortened length od pull (LOP) solution for you.

Are you upland bird hunting?

Mr. Courtney,

Glad you have a Model 500 and look forward to hearing more about your shooting adventures!

It also fascinates me to think about how you like the shortened length od pull (LOP) solution for you.

Are you upland bird hunting?
I will write about it, after I got it. Shoot mainly clay and real wood pigeons with the occasional pheasant shoot. No more yet. Would like to do more.

Update: gun not ready yet. archangel stock fits, forend not. Gunsmith ordered an extension ring for action slide tube. Threads don't match. So, now welding extension onto tube. New tube would be over £100 and defeating the object of having a second hand gun for half the price of the new one. Every time new part needed, coming from US via midway.uk. They don't have any spares here...1 week wait every time...it is taking way too long now. Maybe next week it will be ready!

We are VERY anxious to hear the good news from you that you have it complete and you are satisfied.

Pics or it didn't happen, you must remember.

Back