• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My first AR build *Range report*

I was inspired in part by seeing LazyEye's build and began looking at other forums and have been talking about doing this for a couple months now.

I was in my local gun shop today picking up some other things when I made the mistake of wandering into the section they have all the AR parts. I had looked at this before and tonight I just couldn't resist any longer.

Two things that really grabbed me was my state moto "Live free or die" on one side, and the serial number that started with WTF. So, my adventure begins. I will drag as many of you along that are interested to follow. Lets see where this road takes me.

lowerright.jpg

LowerLeft.jpg

Re: My first AR build

I look forward to seeing this build evolve!

I am going to want to get the tools I need as well while doing this build because I am sure i will get bit by the bug once I start. If you guys that have done this before recomend the essential tools I should think about having, feel free to make recomendations. I figure this might inspire the next one of you to follow along. :)

I do plan to build this soup to nuts and not buy anything preassembled unless there is a good reason to skip a step.

I am going to build myself a bench downstairs to mount a good vice (I have been needing a good work bench for a while now anyway) this will also eventually become my reloading bench as well.

Most of what you'll need, you probably already have.

IF you are going to be building more than just one - then I would suggest investing in a few tools that will make it more efficient.

Such as:

1) a good Action Block with upper and lower receiver blocks
2) Multi-tool or Barrel wrench - the first one is worth the money, the second will do the job
3) a set of Roll-Pin punches
4) barrel vice-jaws - if you are truly going to build this up all from parts

other than that - you probably already have a good selection of tools ;)

5) a set of adjustable pliers - with tape around the jaws - makes an excellent tool for squeezing in roll pins
6) a large sheet of CLEAR plastic - or a large DRY CLEANING bag comes in very handy when you are installing a few of the pins and springs - use the bag draped over your work and you to keep flying parts to a minimum - from experience ;)
7) a well lit working area - clean - COVERED if it happens to be the wife's table ;)
8) a good set of instructions that you have read thoroughly - maybe even keep the computer on a video to follow along.

pay CLOSE ATTENTION to key points that the instructions and videos point out - it could save you from damaging your receiver or any of your parts - AND....pay even closer attention to all SAFETY CHECKS. It could keep you and your loved ones safe and in one piece ;)

http://www.midwayusa.com/general.mvc/index/AR15Varmint?cm_sp=SEO-_-AR15-_-UltimateAR15

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/22...__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.html

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/guntechdetail/How_to_Build_An_AR-15_Video

I will be the first to say that building an entire rifle isn't for everyone, but it's not really all that hard either. As for tutorials, I would venture to guess that Brownells has the easiest to follow and are broken down into clear simple steps.

I have built my own for years from the ground up and it'll spoil you being able to build anything your heart desires without the need to find a manufacturer that sells what you want, and without custom shop fee's.

And it's extremely helpful if you change your mind about something later on (something that happens to all of us)

As for needing clear bags to install the detents, that's not necessary. There's actually an inexpensive tool for that. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=920248

Not saying that putting everything in a big ziplock while trying to put it together isn't as easy as it sounds :roll: , but my Dad always told me there's a right tool for the job and it always make the job easier.

Re: My first AR build - AR UPPER SALE

For those looking for a 'first build'

M4 Upper Special!!

Del-Ton, Inc. is offering a 16'' M4 1x9 Chrome Moly Vanadium (CMV) Barrel Assembly with F-Marked Front Sight Base, M4 Feed Ramps and HPT & MPI Tested Bolt @ $385.00 each! Usually $415.00 each, saving you $30.00! This is a limited offer, good while stocks last or for 1 week, so don't delay, order yours today!

AR-15 16'' DTI M4 CMV 1x9 Barrel Assembly w/ F Marked Front Sight Base, Product Code: DT1009
Sale Price $385.00 each.

This Complete upper includes 16'' M4 CMV Chrome Lined 1x9 twist Barrel, F-Marked Front Sight Base, Flat Top Upper with M4 Feed Ramps, AR-15 Bolt and Carrier assembly - properly staked and sealed gas key - HPT & MPI Tested Bolt, Charging Handle and CAR Handguard. These are head-spaced and test fired. Ready to drop onto a complete lower receiver.
Please remember these are built to order.

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Barrel_Assembly_p/dt1009.htm

Click on the links above or visit the web site http://www.del-ton.com for more information, complete technical specs and to order.

Use coupon code AUG130 at checkout. This offer is for a limited quantity and is valid while supplies last or until end 08/08/2011 EST, which ever is first. So don't delay, order today!

This offer is good while supplies last.

To receive these discounts you must enter the coupon code in the ‘coupon code box’ at check out. This is Caps sensitive! Make sure once you have entered the coupon code that the discount is applied to your order. We will not apply coupon codes to orders for you, once your order is placed it is final, so make sure to use the coupon codes at check out! Offer is subject to change or cancellation without notice. If you have any questions please call 910-645-2172 or email sales@del-ton.com.

OK, I have my lower parts kit on order as well as the buffer tube assembly. As soon as they are installed I can update progress.

From all the information I have found online, I don't think this is going to be too hard for me to handle. Seems easy enough for my mechanical ability, so I am not worried.

Looking into Uppers, bolts & carriers, and charging handles seem pretty straight forward, but I am stumbling on the barrel and optics. I do plan to build an M4 flat top, so take it from there.

I would like both iron and red dot sights. Batteries die, so a backup pleases me. I have seen setups where you can put the irons in line with the red dot as well as on a 45 degree pivot. I don't plan to buy a barrel with the traditional front sight. I would like to find a small gas block that allows me to just put a long rail on instead. I like the idea of the red dots with the flip to the side magnifiers. If you have an opinion, I'd be happy to hear it.

I am without doubt building a 5.56 cal. so that isn't the issue. I just can't seem to settle on a legnth/twist. The information I have been reading has me all over the place. I think I want range over carbine ability on this one, so I beleive I should go for the longer barrels. The twist is just flat out beyond me. Agin, your thoughts and opinions would help. I will answer what questions you have as they crop up to help narrow me into where I should be looking.

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate you guys helping wherever you can given this isn't the forums forte.

1:12 and 1:14 barrel twists are antique.

You will want a 5.56 chamber if you ever want to shoot both .223 commercial ammo AND military surplus (cheap bulk) ammo. .223 chambers would be too tight for the 5.56 (surplus) specs.

1:9 twist is probably the most common. They will stabilize 45 to 67 grain bullets.

1:8 or 1:7 will stabilize at least 50 gr to 75 gr match bullets much better.

Any 16" carbine barrel should shoot well enough out to 300-350 yards.

If you want to shoot farther, than 18 or 20 inch barrel would be more to your liking with less bullet drop.

24" barrels, although they can get some good velocity, are too heavy to be practical enough to justify carrying them all day unless you only plan to shoot from the bench.

As for not wanting a front sight base (FSB) on the AR, you can either get a low profile gas block, or simply chop the top of the front sight base off with a hacksaw or dremel and smooth it up with a belt or bench grinder.

That's what I did on both of my hunting uppers so don't let a regular front sight base deter you from an otherwise good deal.

headhunter015-1.jpg

This is something that I really want to do as well, but I have alot of reading to do before I start ordering parts. My build may be a little complicated as I am in Ca.,. I do have a question for you, does the twist dictate what grain bullet you can shoot? Are you going to set it up with a 20 inch barrel? Sorry if I am out of place asking these questions. thanks Clint

^ The twist rate doesn't so much dictate what weight bullet you can shoot, but rather has more to do with potential accuracy. Any weight projectile can be shot through barrels with various twists, but as Jonh A. stated in the post above using the proper weight projectile for your barrel's twist rate will maximize your results on target.

I bought the Bushmaster AR-15 Combination Armorer's Wrench for Newer TeleStocks and that has come in.

1570-4.gif

The good news is it also fits the castle nut for my 590! Bonus. It would also seem that they used an AR buffer tube for the stock on the 590 because it threads into the lower and has the cuts for the detents etc. And yes, I took the handle and grip and fit it on the lower just so I could look at it just like a little kid with a new toy. :D

Anyway, I digress.

I just got the email that the items I ordered from Spikes Tactical have shipped and I expect to have them sometime around next wednesday. I will update when they arrive.

Enhanced Lower Parts Kit
SLPK301.jpg

Features
•KNS Gen II Mod II Anti-Rotation pins
•Spike’s Billet Trigger Guard
•Ergo Grip with Spike’s Logo
•ST Battle Trigger
•Ambi Safety Selector

Included
•Spike's Billet Trigger guard w/Set screw
•KNS Gen II Mod II Anti-Rotation pins
•Ergo Grip with Spike’s logo
•ST Battle trigger with Nickel Boron Coated Mil-Spec Single Stage Trigger, Disconnect, and Rounded hammer
•Ambi Safety Selector
•Mil-Spec bolt catch, mag catch, and mag catch button
•Mil-Spec detents, plungers, pins, and springs
•Quality Spiral roll pins for trigger guard and bolt catch
•1/4 Allen screw with washer for grip
•Spike's Tactical Lifetime Warranty

Buffer Tube Kit
SLA500R-K.jpg

Features
•Full Mil-Spec components

Included
• Mil-Spec Buffer tube with dry film lube
• Latch plate
• Castle nut
•Mil-Spec 17-4 Stainless Buffer spring
• ST-T2 buffer

Lower Vice Block
SAT1002.jpg

Features
•Made of HDP (High Density Polyethylene
•1-piece design
•Supports lower for stock installation
•Natural material finish

Included

Looks like a good start !!!

And the AR combo wrench will fit the Mossberg 500 forend nut as well. ;)

And while on the subject of multi-purpose, it will take my form 1 silencer front endcap off of it for cleaning the baffles too because that's how I designed it. :lol:

DSCN4920.jpg

thumperendcapsolution002.jpg

John A. said:
And the AR combo wrench will fit the Mossberg 500 forend nut as well. ;)

Yea, I learned that when I deceded to see what happened when I took one of the pickatinny rails off the side recently. :oops: The backing nut falls into the forend between the two peices.

Back