• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 500 Mariner sent back 3 times in for jamming issue

ollie2308

Copper BB
Hello everyone !!!

I have been having an issue with my NEW Mossberg Flex 500 Mariner. S/N U843xxx and was hoping for some help.

I purchased the gun back in March from GunBuyer.com. It is the Mossberg 50125 Flex AP Pump 12ga 26" 3" Black Synthetic Marinecote Model. I also purchased matching 18" barrel. Unfortunately I have had nothing but problems with it ever since.

My first chance to use it was in April. I put less then 30 rounds thru it before it started to jam. After firing, the fore arm action would not cycle and was stuck in the forward position. The release button on the trigger group seemed to be stuck in the up position and I had to disassemble the gun in order to clear the jam. I also experienced shells falling out of the bottom of the gun when it did cycle. The jamming issue became worse as the day went on, and I gave up on disassembling it to clear the jam, and put the gun away for the day. I was shooting Federal Multipurpose Target loads #8 and Suprema #00 buck and experienced jamming using both.

I contacted Mossberg Customer Service and explained my problem and the gun was sent in for service around April 13th.

I got the gun back around the first week in May and was excited to try again. I went to the range with Winchester target loads this time. This time, with less then 50 rounds, I started experiencing the same jamming issues and several failure to fire situations. Frustrated, I packed it away and contacted customer service again. The gun was shipped back again for service for the 2nd time on June 5th.

I got the gun back on June 19 and went back to the range this past weekend with Winchester target loads. The very first shot, the gun jammed. I took the gun apart to clear the jam, re-assembled and tried again. It jammed again on the second shot. Again, the fore arm action is stuck forward and the release button is stuck in.

Customer Service was contacted again yesterday (6/29). They have indicated that service has replaced practically all the internal parts of the gun and is perplexed with my issue. I was told that a manager will be notified about my issue and that I should expect a phone call about this. No call yet !!!

I shipped the gun back today, in the jammed state this time, so hopefully, they can see what the cause is.

Any thoughts or experiences with customer service would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Mike !!

Sorry to hear about your problems...especially having to send it back three times.

Not sure what to tell you...except that Mossberg Customer Service IS doing the best they can...but since they are NOT actually on the floor with the guy repairing the firearm...there is that disconnect.

I would wait to hear from them now that they have the firearm in the condition you described...and now hopefully will be able to see exactly what the cause is...

Keep us in the loop...and good luck !!

I've had this happen before too on a few different shotguns. Two Mossberg's and a Western Field. In all cases it was the ejector screw backing out slightly. Granted, they were far from new when I started experiencing it, but that's what happened to mine. The Western Field ejector screw actually sheared its threads completely off into the receiver. I didn't have a tap on hand at the time to get the threads out of the receiver, so I replaced it with a bolt that fit and a nut and lock washer on the outside of the receiver to hold it in. Not a pretty job, but it was an old beater that was probably worth more as scrap so I did it and kept 'er runnin'. Hey, I was young back then and could barely afford a gun period, let alone pay a gunsmith. Hell, I learned my gunsmithin' outta necessity LOL.The Mossy's I just locktited the screw, torqued it down, never gave me an issue again. I'd say take down that gun and check out the screw. I'll bet you its loose

...Hey, I was young back then and could barely afford a gun period, let alone pay a gunsmith. Hell, I learned my gunsmithin' outta necessity LOL...

One reason I like firearms is learning how they work. I find it very interesting the way mechanical energy results in an explosive chemical reaction. You should have a basic understanding on how your gun(s) operates.

Owning and operating a gun is serious business--like owning and operating a car. Just as someone has to take driver's ed to drive, I think someone should have to take "shooter's ed" before handling a gun. No, I don't feel this should be mandated, but it is a VERY good idea.

I also feel that to own and/or operate a car, one should know the basics of service: how to check fluids, adjust tire pressure, inspect lights, etc. Basic stuff that makes the car safer. Same with a gun: anyone should know how to field strip the gun as shown in the owner's manual. Don't have a manual? EVERY gun mfg in this country will send you one for free. Or simply download from the web. Knowing how the car (or gun) is supposed to work, will help to explain the problem to the mechanic (or gunsmith).

Personally, I like to take it a step further and go beyond the field strip and take down even further to components. Keep in mind that you might need special tools or at the very least, a good set of snug-fitting drivers (screw and allen head) and punches. Dummy rounds to check the action are handy--do not use live rounds! There are a plethora of GooToob videos out there that will show you how whatever you want to do. Before you watch a video, I suggest reading the comments below: there are a lot of numbnuts that don't have a clue what they're doing and the comments will indicate such. And if they DO have a clue, many do not know how to properly present and will put you to sleep. Many shops and suppliers (such as Brownell's and Midway) will have a series of various videos covering just about any firearm topic. <<<These are usually good.

Getting back to your original question, I can't help you with your issue. BUT, if it was MY gun, I would want to learn why it is malfunctioning and perhaps fix it myself. It would take far less time and inconvenience... Now if it was out of warranty, you would have to pay a gunsmith and just like a mechanic, it may take you some time to find a good one. For this reason NO ONE works on my cars as I do not trust most of the mechanics nor do I want to afford them. (I am an ASE Master Auto Tech is another reason...;))

Welcome aboard and I hope Mossberg is able to get your gun figured out.

Back