• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Thoughts on Possible Patriot Purchase

Hey Everyone:

I'm in the market for good entry-level deer rifle and one of the options I'm considering is the Patriot. Though I initially was solidly behind a .270, it seems the only caliber I can find around my neck of the woods, is a 30-06. I'm wondering if anyone has had an opportunity to handle/fire this firearm and if so, what your opinions are. I'm also looking at a Remington 783 and a ... gulp....Savage Axis.

Cheers,
Shawn

I handled one at an outdoor show last spring and it seemed like a fine gun based just on that. The bolt action seemed ok too. I have never fired one though. That's a shame that the ammo didn't come back there yet. .270 is readily available in this area of PA.

For the record I got my boy a Savage Axis II in .243 last year and I like it a lot. It's plenty accurate and the II comes with the Accu Trigger. I like it a lot better than the Ruger American that we have. Let us know what you end up with.

Ammo doesn't seem to be the problem, rather there seems to be an issue getting the actual rifle here in Eastern Canada. I'll just keep shaking trees until something I like drops out, I guess. Thanks for the feedback!

Shawn

Wow...pretty bad that I took that as an ammo shortage for you. I'm going to go with it was the end of my lunch break and I was hurrying. Good luck. Hopefully they will be well stocked up for fall hunting. Good luck and keep us posted.

The Mossberg Patriot Rifle is available in over 60 configurations directly from the Mossberg plant that manufactures them in Texas. They are all wonderful rifles! Truly, the best bang for your buck right now, & solidly built. Take good care of it & it will last you a lifetime! My 308 Vortex Crossfire scope with Walnut stock is a sweet rifle indeed. I only paid $390 on sale, no tax, free shipping, no FFL fees... Love it!!! Tis' very accurate & beautiful to behold B-)

Give me liberty or give me death!

I like my Savage bolt guns, but I'm looking for a Patriot now & probably in 7mm.
Compared to a .30-06 the 7mm seems a lot flatter for high power target shooting.

Anyhow I'm down to choosing either the Patriot or the Rem 783, which looks almost affordable for a Remington.
I haven't shot either, so no basis to choose yet.

I looked at a Patriot today in .30-06. they didn't have the 7mm on the shelf.

They also did not have the Rem 783, but the had a basic model 700 in .308 that was very nice . . . For $1300!

Folks, I actually thought the fit & finish of the Mossberg was almost as good, and at about 1/3 the price. :confused:

I haven't held a 783, but i've been reading about the 783, and people say they shoot fine but the workmanship is a bit rough. (OK, one reviewer wrote: "The bore was rough as a cob!")

I want to see one side-by-side with the Patriot before I decide, though it looks like the Mossberg hands down..

The Mossberg Patriot Rifle is available in over 60 configurations directly from the Mossberg plant that manufactures them in Texas. They are all wonderful rifles! Truly, the best bang for your buck right now, & solidly built. Take good care of it & it will last you a lifetime! My 308 Vortex Crossfire scope with Walnut stock is a sweet rifle indeed. I only paid $390 on sale, no tax, free shipping, no FFL fees... Love it!!! Tis' very accurate & beautiful to behold B-)

Give me liberty or give me death!
Sitting in a deer stand right now with 308 patriot. I love it. Accuracy issues were solved with 150 grain hornady whitetail interlock. The savage and ruger were my other choices but went with Mossberg wood, scope, and u cant beat the trigger on it. Will say my first 308 so if u been shooting a 243 accuracy issues may be the driver i got used to the caliber and now at times put 2 in one hole my last 3 shot group was about .35 an im old and shaky i don't always shoot that well

The 783 doesnt compare to the patriot, toss that one out. If ur going to look compare it to a savage or a ruger. Last remington i bought was pathetic just my opinion

Very brief comment... I did a lot of research on calibers before I did a lot of research on quality economical hunting rifles. The 308 is much more accurate than a 30.06, but if ya live in Alaska ya better have a 30.06 handy in an accurate heavy grain for the Grizzly encounter that might occur. But here in the South my 308 will take down everything & gives me better accuracy & a longer more confident shot. Love my Mossberg, wish I wasn't sick with a nasty cold virus... Enjoy your hunt, good luck on getting a big buck O:) Happy Thanksgiving

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

That's really no more than I paid for my Savage .22 MK2 bolt rifle with the plastic stock.

Man that's an attractive price, but I have to wait 'til probably Christmas before I expand the arsenal. Storage space became an issue.

Back