• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What can you recommend as far as chokes?

GarandGuy76

Copper BB
New to the forum, and to shotguns. Just picked up a new 88 with a barrel requiring chokes. I'm interested in picking up a good set, well priced, accu-choke. Can anyone recommend a good brand?

Welcome, GarandGuy76. [Ditto here.] Stop by the new users' forum and introduce yourself. We are happy to have you. Pix make us really happy.

I'll let the choking experts continue on here.

Hi and welcome! Pics, while not expressly written anywhere, are almost a prerequisite for membership. You've done well thus far.

To be able to help you out, describe for us how you want to use the 88?

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

How about some pics and history of the Garand... Guy !?

There are a few on MO that do extensive research on chokes.

I personally spend all my free time shooting flying orange targets.
No free time in quite a few months :(
I usually just use Mossberg chokes or Carlsons.

Hi and welcome! Pics, while not expressly written anywhere, are almost a prerequisite for membership. You've done well thus far.

To be able to help you out, describe for us how you want to use the 88?

I'm interested in skeet, trap, and turkey hunting. My barrel is not threaded.

Do you plan to thread the barrel?

Mossberg sells an accuchoke set. Carlson's and Trulock also sell sets. Trulock I think is often more reasonably priced but I'd do some looking, the cost for 3 choke tubes from Trulock or Carlson's may buy a set of 5 from Mossberg. eBay is a good place to look for chokes.

Much of your decision will be based on how far you intend to shoot. I'm not as familiar with skeet and trap as others like LTB are but I'm learning a decent bit from these guys! :) Most of my shooting is on my property and I'm looking to keep predators and varmints away. I also try and turkey hunt here too. For my purposes I'm looking to get the longest shot possible out of the best loads available and with a lot of trial and error. For these needs I think some Mossberg chokes are too open. Like their XFull turkey. I'm sure it's fine to a point but some modern loads have really extended the potential range of the shotgun requiring a tighter choke. Kicks choke tubes are more expensive but on their site they list recommended exit diameters paired to a load size. Their constructions are much more realistic in comparison to some though for their heavy weight choke for predator loads, I found it also to be too open.

You have to be at least a little skeptical about claims of really long shots. Through my own shooting and a whole lot of searching, there is no eveidence to back up stories of 70 and 80 yard shots. I've found solid 50 yard set ups and some decent 60 yard guns. I have yet to see any proof of 70 yards. I've seen targets with 2 pellets kinda near point of aim at that distance and people call it good, but that isn't reliable. I've also seen people talk about turkey loads for predators. That's a no go too but we're getting in to another topic.

Here is what usually works pretty good for me.

Skeet = Improved cylinder choke. 7,8, or 9 shot shells.

Turkey = extra full, Full or modified choke. Depending on range and how the gun patterns the load you're using. I like #4 and #6 shot.

Please take a couple of minutes and look through this thread: http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-chokes-matter.14918/#post-201724

This is great information, thank you. As an alternative to mossberg chokes, is there another brand you'd recommend?

I have a lot of Carlson chokes and a couple of other brand chokes, and I am a super huge fan of Carlsons choke/fouling cleaner, but it doesn't really matter much I don't think.

I do think that if you have the option to use an extended choke, they do give more surface area to affect the shotwad somewhat better than a flush fit, but for your question if one is ultimately "better", I don't know.

I'm also not very fond of ported chokes either. They don't particularly reduce recoil because the powder has already burned out by the time it reaches the ports, plus the super short dwell time beyond the ports, just don't do much of anything besides make it louder.

I like Carlson's too. But I take issue with some of their claims. I've talked to the Carlson's a few times and they absolutely hold fast to those claims of extreme ranges.

I likeTrulock based on reviews by others. They make no exaggerated claims and put up videos of patterning at 40 yards.

Also, the Trulock extended non ported chokes are reasonably priced. I my self intend to delve into more pattern testing over the summer between hunting seasons using Trulock chokes. I was actually just getting ready to email them for some ideas. Based on my testing so far, I see some very realistic exit diameters on their specialty choke tubes.

Now I'll depart a little from what John said about ported chokes. I don't disagree that the ports do not serve to reduce recoil. I think that's a little gimmicky. However, what I've come to find is that in some choke tubes, the ports work as a brake on the shot wad and prevent it from blowing through the shot column. I'm not saying this works in every case, but that there is evidence it helps. I think somewhat more in faster loads. So I wouldn't discount them entirely. I have a couple ported tubes that perform very well with the loads I've paired to them. On the noise level, I can't tell a difference. That doesn't mean it isn't louder, it just means I don't use ear protection. My ears ring all the and I work in a fab shop.

I forgot to ask, what distance do think you'll be shooting for turkeys? Will you be hunting woods or fields?

And one more thing while I'm thinking about it;
If you think you'll ever use Federal FliteControl, then use non ported chokes. Because of the way the porting slows the wad, it counteracts the intended purpose of FliteControl.

Back