• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

A brutally honest discussion about 16 gauge

I gotta stay away from you 16ga guys. I already have a locker full of 12's and 20's. If I start buying up all the old 16's I come across...well, I don't know but it's probably not good.

If you don't have a 16 gauge, you're seriously missing out on good shooting hunting guns.

I already have 18 shotguns so I'm trying to resist getting into another gauge. At least until I can build a house with a gun vault.

Actually one I did briefly own a 16 gauge. It was a J.C. Higgins bolt action and the gauge wasn't listed on the tag and I couldn't see it marked on the barrel and it was only $75 so I bought it thinking it was a 12. When I got home I found the marking on the barrel opposite where manufacturers normally mark it. I wasn't sure what to do with it until a buddy offered to buy it for what I paid so I sold it to him.

I come across 16's all the time. It will probably happen eventually.

My first 16 gauge was a Savage m. 720 semi auto. This was essentially a Browning Standard Sixteen built by Savage on the Browning Patent. I later acquired a Browning Sweet Sixteen; an Ithaca Featherlight Pump; a pristine Iver Johnson single shot and an old CZ semi auto, that no one seems to remember (including CZ). Wonderful guns all-in a wonderful gauge. Buy em up while they are available and inexpensive.

I was looking for a 12 ga when this 16 Ga wiggled at me and I was hooked.
I didn't know it was such an oddity. Now I am doubly pleased.

I have an original Browning Sweet 16...was my Grandfather's. Belgium I think...and I think if I did some digging I might have a couple boxes of the purple shells...lol.

I'd love to see it someday if you can take some photos of it.

Anyone that likes 16ga shotguns needs to check out "The 16ga. Society". http://www.16ga.com/

Of all of my father's guns, I like his 1959 Sweet Sixteen the best. It's in nearly pristine condition. It only has a few light scratches in the wood. Other than the recoil pad, it's 100% original. He bought it new from Sears for $199.00.

Pop is gone now. I've tried to get my mother to let me store his guns in my gun safe to keep them from rusting. Unfortunately, she's still not ready to turn loose yet.

Paw, would something like this work?

"Mom. I know it is important to have the guns here because they were an important part of Pop's life. It's a beautiful collection, but it will waste away without some periodic care. Let me show to clean and lube them for preservation. It's not hard and about four times a year should be enough. I'll make sure you have the tools and supplies you'll need."

images

The guy I bought the Gil Gun from has a nice Sweet 16. I've tried to buy it from him but no luck.

I can do that, and will! I am stuck working for the next couple of days...Tuesday should work...
Just tried to post pictures...apparently my phone camera captures wausau to big of an image...will do some different ones on Tuesday...I sized down the ones I just took...and you can sorta tell it might be a firearm...lol...

Paw, would something like this work?

"Mom. I know it is important to have the guns here because they were an important part of Pop's life. It's a beautiful collection, but it will waste away without some periodic care. Let me show to clean and lube them for preservation. It's not hard and about four times a year should be enough. I'll make sure you have the tools and supplies you'll need."

Well, she could never clean them because she can't see well enough any more. She suffers from macular degeneration and can just barely see enough to function around the house.

I explained that they would be subject to rust and degrade over time. All she'll say is, "I'll think about it." I did do a thorough clean and lube (a bit heavy) on the Sweet Sixteen and sealed it up in one of those rust proof bags.

To be honest, as much as it pains me, I'd rather just let the guns rust away than to upset her.

I know what you mean. It's not worth upsetting her over.

Like you, I'd rather have my Mom than every material thing in the world.

Right on, Paw. You've done the right thing and your attitude will serve you both well.

Back