• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: Scratch Marks on Magazine Tube*more pics added*

SeaScout said:
Call the CEO. Every single person who has a problem.
Best...

Even if we had his number, what makes you think we could ever get through to him? A few angry calls isn't going to change the way they do business, and it's not like he's going to call the factory and tell them to hook me up with replacement parts that I need. Only when sales drop because of quality control problems will the CEO take notice. It's all about the numbers for these people.

The usual problems...

Today I took apart my fresh out of the box SPX and did a thorough cleaning and lubing. I came across 2 followers which I've read is a common thing. I only replaced one. I have a GG&G follower on order already. I put it all back together and tried to load 7 shells but was only able to fit 6. As per other threads, I nipped away at the spring little by little trying to load the 7 again in-between each time. I arrived at the 28 inch point and stopped there. I still have about a 1/4 inch left before that last shell seems like it will lock in there. I guess I want to know where it is that I need to call to get a replacement spring, and is that all that I need? I read somewhere about a stronger spring, but I don't know I that's the one Mossberg sends you or you have to purchase it from a third party.

The usual problems...

I'm also looking forward to switching to the Urbino stock when it becomes available as I purchased this shotty for HD.

Re: The usual problems...

All I know is I WISH one of us can find out what the H. E. double hockey sticks is going on with this damn spring! 28" seems awfully short to me. But I don't know if your trying to stuff 7, 3" shells in the tube or 7, 2 3/4" shells, the make of shells, actual length of the shells because just because it says 2 3/4 doesn't mean it is 2 3/4". It could be 2 3/8" or something different depending on the specific manufacturer of the ammo.

This is not a rant on you so please don't feel that way. This is a rant because I don't really know what to tell you and by now, we should have figured this out. 34" is the length that seems most common to fit seven shells from my understanding. Which seven I don't know. But I would order a new spring. Then clean the magazine tube inside thoroughly. Good luck.

Paul

Steamdonkey said:
SeaScout said:
Call the CEO. Every single person who has a problem.
Best...

Even if we had his number, what makes you think we could ever get through to him? A few angry calls isn't going to change the way they do business, and it's not like he's going to call the factory and tell them to hook me up with replacement parts that I need. Only when sales drop because of quality control problems will the CEO take notice. It's all about the numbers for these people.

I do not agree with your assessment. As a former CEO, who answered to the board of directors, I always wanted to be in front of issues. As an example, in the last 30 days, a couple of us identified a series of problems with a certain legendary knife maker and brought them to his attention via another forum I am active on. He checked into our concerns and within two weeks their head of quality control and others were replaced. Angry calls do not work, generally, informative business calls from concerned customers do.
Regards,

I've worked for two firms with fewer employees than O.F. Mossberg and Sons, Inc. and in both cases Joe Customer would be lucky to get in touch with the CEO's secretary, let alone the CEO himself. How many customer phone calls did you take during your time as CEO of company X? And how many employees did this company have? What phone number can I call to get in touch with the CEO of Mossberg? An "informative business call" would only tell him what he should already know, what good can that do?

Steamdonkey said:
I've worked for two firms with fewer employees than O.F. Mossberg and Sons, Inc. and in both cases Joe Customer would be lucky to get in touch with the CEO's secretary, let alone the CEO himself. How many customer phone calls did you take during your time as CEO of company X? And how many employees did this company have? What phone number can I call to get in touch with the CEO of Mossberg? An "informative business call" would only tell him what he should already know, what good can that do?[/quote

I am not trying to get into pissing match with you. Neither is it about my time in business. With well over 100 posts here, all of which you are free to review, I as well as many others try to help people who are having issues with their Mossberg. Sometimes Mossberg needs help also. If you don't wish to do a top down phone call with Mossberg, so be it.

SeaScout said:
I am not trying to get into pissing match with you. Neither is it about my time in business. With well over 100 posts here, all of which you are free to review, I as well as many others try to help people who are having issues with their Mossberg. Sometimes Mossberg needs help also. If you don't wish to do a top down phone call with Mossberg, so be it.

Oh rats, I LOVE pissing matches. :) Ok seriously, what's the CEO's phone number, I'll give him a call.

Steamdonkey said:
SeaScout said:

Oh rats, I LOVE pissing matches. :) Ok seriously, what's the CEO's phone number, I'll give him a call.

Steamdonkey,
I wish to apologize for my tone. In my many, many years in business, I was and am, deeply committed to outstanding customer service. Thats why I try to help people here. It also drives me nuts when I see a company like Mossberg fail so miserably, at times, in this area. I would never ask someone to do something I was not willing to do. I will call Mossberg and have a chat with the big boys. They need to be aware of this forum. I know m24shooter used to have high level discussions with them and things got better for a while, but now it's backsliding again. Let's see how it goes...

Went back to the range and shot another 50 rounds..Came home took it apart and all is good. Filing down the spring in that one section stopped the scratching when taking the gun apart. That makes 140 rounds with no issues.

SeaScout said:
Steamdonkey,
I wish to apologize for my tone. In my many, many years in business, I was and am, deeply committed to outstanding customer service. Thats why I try to help people here. It also drives me nuts when I see a company like Mossberg fail so miserably, at times, in this area. I would never ask someone to do something I was not willing to do. I will call Mossberg and have a chat with the big boys. They need to be aware of this forum. I know m24shooter used to have high level discussions with them and things got better for a while, but now it's backsliding again. Let's see how it goes...

To be honest I thought your tone was perfectly appropriate, but thanks for the apology anyway. Please let us know how it goes with the CEO. Thanks.

SeaScout said:
As to the spring color question, I'm not convinced anyone really got to bottom of if there is a difference in strength based on colors of red, blue or black. At one time, we thought we had a definitive answer, but then a good service rep who has since moved on sent word that in reality there was no difference in strength. I would like to know as well. m24shooter may have the best inside sources, perhaps PM him.
Best...
well get this!

I was just doing a thorough cleaning of the carbon build up around the gas ports(the large ones going into the forearm that you can see the spring through) and after many many rounds of cleaning cloths.... What the hell? My spring starts showing blue spots!

I don't know if it came completely fouled up looking from the factory or if they just sprayed some crappy matte black finish over them or what.. but it makes me want to take the whole thing apart and strip it down to the smoother blue finish.

I can't believe mossberg would just try to hide a spring color by painting it, especially a part that should be as free flowing as possible... or def shouldn't be sent out to the customer that dirty.... that paint or whatever it is will just gum stuff up...

Really upsetting.

Hey all, I just joined the group. This is my second post for the same issue that I've been having. I think I put my first post in the wrong spot. I bought a 930 spx a couple of months back and really like it. However that enthusiasm cooled quite a bit due to an issue that I'm going to explain. So far I've shot the gun 3 times. The first time I'd shot it with 3" shells. 4 shot if I remember correctly. I believe I shot a box of 20. I don't remember having any issues at that time. If I had any problems then I attributed it to being a new shotgun. The second time I shot it I was using a 28"bird barrel with 2 3/4" Winchester or Federal Walmart purchased shells. I had a couple of failure to load but I figured out that it was because the shell wasn't getting into the chamber. Somehow the shell was getting ejected out the bottom of the gun. It seemed to happen maybe 6-10 times out of 50 shots. I thought that it might be the ammo. I just shot it a couple of days ago with 2 3/4" Remington shells and I was having the same problem. Very frustrating. I bought the gun for tactical mostly with some skeet shooting fun now and then. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've cleaned the gun before I shot it and after each time.

Poopypants said:
SeaScout said:
As to the spring color question, I'm not convinced anyone really got to bottom of if there is a difference in strength based on colors of red, blue or black. At one time, we thought we had a definitive answer, but then a good service rep who has since moved on sent word that in reality there was no difference in strength. I would like to know as well. m24shooter may have the best inside sources, perhaps PM him.
Best...
well get this!

I was just doing a thorough cleaning of the carbon build up around the gas ports(the large ones going into the forearm that you can see the spring through) and after many many rounds of cleaning cloths.... What the hell? My spring starts showing blue spots!

I don't know if it came completely fouled up looking from the factory or if they just sprayed some crappy matte black finish over them or what.. but it makes me want to take the whole thing apart and strip it down to the smoother blue finish.

I can't believe mossberg would just try to hide a spring color by painting it, especially a part that should be as free flowing as possible... or def shouldn't be sent out to the customer that dirty.... that paint or whatever it is will just gum stuff up...

Really upsetting.

Very interesting,
I too discovered a similar thing. I noticed it when my barrel was returned after having my breacher installed by King Armory. I thought it was overspray from the refinishing process, but, now I wonder.

Steamdonkey said:
I took my gas system spring out and noticed when it's relaxed to its free length it's crooked, meaning the ends aren't parallel. I don't know if it straightens out under compression but if not, that would do a lot to explain a why mag tube is getting trashed. It also doesn't help that the I.D. of the gas system cylinder is notably larger then the O.D. of the spring, which lets it slip off center easily. If I can get a straight spring from Mossberg and shim the spring to keep it centered, I might have a firearm that doesn’t self-destruct. The only problem is I won’t get a new spring until I take a day off work and spend some quality time with my phone as I wait for customer service to take my call. They’re apparently unwilling or unable to communicate via email. This company is seriously pissing me off.

I called customer support to get a replacement spring and they refused to send one because of liability reasons. So now I get to send my gun back again with the hope they'll get it right this time. Fun.

I took her out today and put about 30 rounds of slugs and birdshot downrange. I also noticed that all 7 rounds of the 2 3/8 would fit just fine but couldn't fit the last one when I switched to the 2 5/8. I'll put some more downrange and see if anything changes.

On the positive side, I loved the lower recoil as compared to the 870 that we use @ work. I was able to just squeeze repeatedly and let all 7 rounds rip dead on to target. Reaccuisition of the target was very quick and easy due to the reduced recoil. I caught myself jerking the trigger at first, but I think it was due to not being used to a semi fire shotgun. Now its just a matter of getting the side sling mounts and an inexpensive red dot and I'll be ready to take the wife to the range so that she can get familiar and comfortable with her new HD Mossberg.

Very cool. Thanks for the update Raptor. Even though our Magazine Spring Survey is still in it's infancy, the length of the shell definately seems to matter. Thanks for one more conformation.
Paul

the best replacement spring I've found from tinkering with these mossberg 930 is the Nordic Component cut to fit .... the extra strength in the spring helps a lot even if you cut it short.

Back