• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

00 Buck 12ga Round-up

Freedom23

Copper BB
I just picked up a 12 gauge Mossberg 590A1 Blackwater shotgun and wanted to pattern it to find a home defense round that would work for me. What a great excuse to put a few rounds down range.
I’ve read some reviews about using #1 Buck for more devastating wound cavities or #4 Buck for “less” penetration in case of a miss.

I went to Walmart, Dick’s, Gander Mountain, Olde English Outfitters (where I bought my Mossy) and the Vandalia Armory (shooting range) looking for ammo. None had #1 Buck and only GM had #4, and that was an extremely limited supply/selection.

As with all guns, I believe choice of caliber or ammo is pointless if you can’t hit your target and the only way to increase accuracy is with lots of practice. I can’t really practice much if there isn’t much supply near me. Having a shotgun is definitely not an excuse to slack on going to the range, just because one thinks they don’t need to be as accurate. When one misses, the consequences are potentially more devastating than with any other weapon. 00 Buck it was, then.

From here, I grabbed a variety of shells, managed recoil, high velocity, improved wadding, etc. I stuck with 2 ¾” to provide maximum round count (8+1) in the shotgun. I figured I’d start off with about 25 rounds of target load to break the gun in a bit. Below is a list of what I picked up and their specs.

For Warm-up/Break-in:
Federal Target Loads, 7 ½ shot, 1200 fps, 25 round box, $5.49 (on sale at GM)

For Testing:
Remington, 9 pellets, 1325 fps, 5 round box, $5.99
Remington Managed Recoil, 8 pellets, 1200 fps, 5 round box, $4.99
Federal Power-Shok, 9 pellets, 1325 fps, 5 round box, $5.99
Federal Vital-Shok, 9 pellets, 1325 fps, 5 round box, $4.99
Winchester SuperX, 9 pellets, 1325 fps, 5 round box, $4.99 (though Wal-mart has a 15 round box for $9.99)
Winchester Supreme High-Velocity, 9 pellets, 1450 fps, 5 round box, $8.99
Hornady Versa-Tite Wad, 8 pellets, 1600 fps, 10 round box, $12.99 ($6.495 per 5)
Hornady Light Mag, 8 pellets, 1370 fps, 5 round box, $8.99

My test plan was to do a 5 shot patterning of each brand at 15 ft and 25 ft. Why those ranges? For the home defense situations that most fit my situation, that’s about all I’d be dealing with. Sure, in SHTF and Zombie situations, I should pattern test out a bit further, so maybe I’ll do that another day. **I did just see someone patterning at 10 & 25 yards...maybe I should follow this in the future? I just did what I figured I would encounter.**
I’m not going to draw any conclusions on which ammo you should purchase or use, after all everyone has their own preferences and unique situations, so I’ll just give the data I collected.

Test Conditions:
Firearm: Mossberg 590A1 Blackwater, stock, w/ 25 rounds of Target ammo previously fired for break in.
Targets were set electronically at 15 ft and 25 ft
Shots were taken from a natural (no sandbags/barricades) standing position.
Targets were taken home where the groupings were measured between furthest pellets.

Some explanations of what you’ll see below:
Average grouping is the average grouping of the 5 shots.
Range of Grouping shows the min and max sizes of the 5 groupings.
Largest Difference of Grouping sizes is the difference of the min and max sizes taken from the Range of Grouping. This can help in seeing potential consistency of pattern.

Results at 15 feet.

Brand: Remington
Shot Groupings (in inches):
Shot 1: 3”
Shot 2: 2”
Shot 3: 2”
Shot 4: 2”
Shot 5: 2.5”
Average Grouping: 2.3”
Range of Grouping: 2”-3”
Largest Difference of Grouping sizes (Consistency): 1”

Brand: Remington Managed Load
Shot 1: 1”
Shot 2: 1”
Shot 5: 3.5”
Average Grouping: 1.9”
Range of Grouping: 1”-3.5”
Largest Difference of Grouping sizes (Consistency): 2.5”

Brand: Federal Power-Shok
Shot 1: 2”
Shot 5: 2”
Average Grouping: 2”
Range of Grouping: 2”
Largest Difference of Grouping sizes (Consistency): 0”:

Brand: Federal Vital-Shok
Shot 1: 1”
Shot 2: 1”
Shot 4: 1”
Shot 5: 1.5”
Average Grouping: 1.3”
Range of Grouping: 1”-2”

Brand: Winchester SuperX
Shot 2: 3”
Shot 3: 4.5”
Shot 4: 5”
Shot 5: 3”
Average Grouping: 3.7”
Range of Grouping: 3”-5”
Largest Difference of Grouping sizes (Consistency): 2”

Brand: Winchester Supreme
Shot 1: 6”
Shot 2: 4”
Shot 3: 4”
Shot 4: 6”
Shot 5: 4”
Average Grouping: 4.8”
Range of Grouping: 4”-6”

Brand: Hornady Versa-Tite Wad
Shot 5: 1”
Average Grouping: 1.8”

Brand: Hornady Lite Mag
Average Grouping: 1,8”

Results at 25 feet.

Brand: Remington
Shot 1: 4”
Shot 2: 4”
Shot 3: 4.5”
Shot 4: 3.5”
Average Grouping: 3.9”
Range of Grouping: 3.5”-4.5”

Brand: Remington Managed Load
Shot 2: 6”
Shot 3: 3.5”
Shot 4: 4”
Shot 5: 5”
Average Grouping: 4.3”
Range of Grouping: 3”-6”
Largest Difference of Grouping sizes (Consistency): 3”

Brand: Federal Power-Shok
Shot 1: 4.5”
Shot 3: 3”
Shot 4: 3”
Average Grouping: 3.4”
Range of Grouping: 3”-4.5””
Largest Difference of Grouping sizes (Consistency): 1.5”
Notes: 1 flyer in the group (Shot 1). All pellets, except one, were in a 3” area. The last pellet was at 4.5”.

Brand: Federal Vital-Shok
Shot 3: 2.5”
Average Grouping: 1.9”
Range of Grouping: 1”-2.5”

Brand: Winchester SuperX
Shot 1: 5”
Shot 2: 5”
Shot 3: 5.5”
Shot 4: 5.5”
Shot 5: 6.5”
Average Grouping: 5.5”
Range of Grouping: 5”-6.5”

Brand: Winchester Supreme
Shot 1: 7”
Shot 2: 5”
Shot 3: 5.5”
Shot 4: 6”
Shot 5: 6”
Average Grouping: 5.9”
Range of Grouping: 5”-7”

Brand: Hornady Versa-Tite Wad
Shot 1: 6”
Shot 3: 2.5”
Shot 4: 5”
Shot 5: 5”
Average Grouping: 4.1”
Range of Grouping: 2”-6”
Largest Difference of Grouping sizes (Consistency): 4”
Notes: Shot 1 had 2 flyer’s at 6”, where most were in a 3” pattern. This was the most inconsistent patterning I saw. I saw nice and tight 2-2.5” groups, wide 5” groups and then a tight 3” group with some flyers.

Brand: Hornady Lite Mag
Shot 3: 4”
Shot 4: 2.5”
Shot 5: 2.5”
Average Grouping: 2.8”
Range of Grouping: 2.5”-3”

For my situation and preference, I’ll be using Federal Vital-Shok. This is based on the consistent, tight groupings at various ranges. While I won’t have slugs loaded for home defense, the “flite-control” wad may provide some added range if the scenario does change. Even so, the 4 round speed-feed in the stock is loaded with slugs.

The reason behind the tight grouping seems to lie in the “flite-control” wad and in-line with what others on this board have experienced. I was very impressed with what I saw and I want to do further testing.

I found this on another site:

“In a conventional wad, as soon as the wad leaves the barrel, it has petals that open up in the front and dispense the shot into a cloud so that the shot isn't protected in any way. With the FLITECONTROL wad, as soon as it exits the barrel, the shot is kept inside the wad. There are no slits in the shot cup portion and the shot is contained in the wad for an extended period of time, say anywhere up to 10 yards, depending on the configuration of the wad. What happens is the slitting in the overpowder [rear] section opens up and starts slowing the wad down. Instead of releasing the shot in a cloud, it starts slowly backing away from the tight shot string sitting inside the wad, and releases the shot that way. The biggest difference is that the FC wad is a rear-braking wad that pulls itself off the shot and conventional wads kind of throw the shot out there.”

Use this information for what you will but be sure to pattern your shotgun yourself as you will likely get different results than I have. Choosing 3-4 different brands would probably be sufficient. My shoulder held up fairly well through the round-up, but it was a bit red, slightly bruised the next day! :D

PS - I'll plug AIMPRO Tactical while I can. I ordered a hi-vis follower and heavy walled heat shield from them and they were outstanding on email and on the phone. Being Active Duty Air Force, they even knocked about 20% off the price for me as well. Very pleasant and easy to work with.

Attachments

• IMG_5079_resize.jpg
    IMG_5079_resize.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 316
  • 1Full Length_resize.jpg
    1Full Length_resize.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 316
Good info. Thanks for the time and effort (not that you didn't enjoy it or anything)! I've been trying to decide on what rounds to pick up first for patterning and this info helped a lot. Keep up the good work. And pick up a LimbSaver next time you're out, your shoulder will thank you.

Thanks for your very thorough report. It seems that in 12 ga 00 buck the Federal with Flite-Control is the tightest pattern, followed with the Hornady, Remington, and last the Winchester. It was interesting to see the difference of less than a 2" pattern up to a 4" patten at 15 ft. and from a 4 to 6" spread at 25 ft. The conclusion I reach is that the Fed Flite-Control is probably good out to 50 ft at least. And the Winchester is probably about 1 to 2 feet of spread or more at 50 ft.
One thought came to mind: if I use these for HD, would the Fed putting all its force into a 2" pattern be better than the Win spreading the 9 pellets in a 4-6" pattern? I suppose either would be lethal, but the larger spread would be hitting different positions and might create more damage to different internals, resulting in faster incapacitation.
You didn't mention any FTF or other malfunctions so I guess the Blackwater and shells all performed well.
Bottom line is this great forum has consistently shown the Fed ammo is generally the tightest, and due to this, I purchased a couple of cans of Fed 127 but also just bought 25 rds of Fed 132 low recoil for my HD Mossberg.
A buddy gave me some 3" magnum and I want to experience that as well if I can ever get some time to shoot. We'll see how my shoulder holds up. :D
Thanks for your report - very interesting.

Excellent write up, excellent review! Very well put together, I love ammo reviews!!!

Very nice gun as well, don't be afraid to stop by the 590 subforum and the "I'll show you mine if you show me yours, 590 photo thread!"

Nice work!

Ah, good point, Tex. No FTFs or malfunctions at all. 105 perfect cycles.

As for which round would be more lethal or cause more damage, that’s an exercise in “what if’s” that will drive you mad. On one roll of the dice a wider spread may hit more vital organs while on another roll, it may not. Same for a tight spread…it may be a direct hit on the heart or lung or it may just miss a main artery and not cause as much damage. There are way too many variables and chance on “game day” to be sure of how much damage may or may not occur.

One thing that will definitely cause faster incapacitation and more damage are multiple shots.

If an intruder spends enough time and energy breaking into my home, I want to make sure they get the most out of the experience. I’d feel like I short changed them if I only shot them once! :)

PS – I’ll be heading over sometime this week to post to that thread Rossignol!!

My defense training began with handguns and with them I don't stop with one shot, since things like home invasions are usually carried out by more than one BG. I have trained to shoot a volley of three then maybe see what's going on and if need be, give 'em two or three more. Another reason I carry a Glock with 14 rds and bought a 9 shot 590A1 in addition to my 500 Persuader. :D

Back