• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.17 WSM cartridge failure

Mudbug

Recently fired 25 rounds of 20 gr .17wsm through my Savage B-Mag. I had three ejector failures in the session. After removing the casings manually, I noticed these cracks in the neck and shoulder area. Very hot round at 3000 fps and I understand this is a relatively new cartridge. Should I just dismiss these as "growing pains" for the new cartridge? They were in random order and the rounds impacted nicely with the grouping.
232323232%7Ffp73475%3Enu%3D45%3C%3A%3E664%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D369373624%3A34%3Bnu0mrj

I wouldn't dismiss this.

This type of failure could result in uneven pressure in the chamber potentially causing damage to the rifle and/or bodily injury. I would contact the manufacturer with your photos and a lot number (if you have it). They should be able to provide more details as well as advise a course of action. At the very least they should send you a new box of ammo...

Planned on firing the weapon again tomorrow morning at the Strat/Edge range. Will see what results I get. Thanks, LES.

Yes sir.

I'll be out there bright & early. Lookin forward to heat'n up a barrel or two... ;)

Back