• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

2 in 1

Finally got my 20 gauge Mossy 500 combo out of sequestration.
It came with a 18.5" barrel and a 26" ribbed barrel.
By the time I was through taking pictures I had put a sling on it.
M500_20ga_U4893582003-0193.jpg~original

M500_20ga_U4893582003-0192.jpg~original

M500_20ga_U4893582003-0164.jpg~original

M500_20ga_U4893582003-0170.jpg~original

I would like to find walnut furniture for it and probably get a pistol grip as well. I picked up a variety of loads from birdshot to slugs. I need to get out and give it a try in a couple weeks.
This is my first shotgun so I settled on 20 gauge for now due to a bad shoulder. Before I move up to 12 gauge I need to learn to fire from the hip hence the pistol grip option.

I like what you've done so far.

Do you like that pistol gripped buttstock?

I had one, but it made the length of pull just a tad too long for me.

Parabellus said:
Finally got my 20 gauge Mossy 500 combo out of sequestration.
It came with a 18.5" barrel and a 26" ribbed barrel.

This is my first shotgun so I settled on 20 gauge for now due to a bad shoulder. Before I move up to 12 gauge I need to learn to fire from the hip hence the pistol grip option.

I'd suggest that you forget firing from the hip, and learn better more accurate techniques, such as shown in this video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PNGDIiSZmA[/youtube]

GunnyGene said:
I'd suggest that you forget firing from the hip, and learn better more accurate techniques, such as shown in this video:
This is what I need next. Instruction and training.

Parabellus said:
GunnyGene said:
This is what I need next. Instruction and training.

There are lots of firearms/home defense training courses available in every state. Ask the folks at your local gunshop who they recommend.

Two nearby ranges have training classes in various types of arms and tactics.
One has trap shooting.
So I got my wood on ebay and here it is. The forend was binding on the receiver so I went to work with a rasp, file, and sandpaper. Now it slides just fine.
M500_20ga_U4893582003-0332.jpg~original

M500_20ga_U4893582003-0322.jpg~original

M500_20ga_U4893582003-0328.jpg~original

M500_20ga_U4893582003-0338.jpg~original

,,,,,nice lookin' shottys. :D

how do you like that cheek piece?

old mossy said:
,,,,,nice lookin' shottys. :D

how do you like that cheek piece?
Heck of it is they are all the same receiver with two different barrels and four different stock options.

I'll have to reserve judgment on the cheek piece until I try it out.

old mossy said:
keep us posted on the cheek piece.
It seems that it should have some function as a riser but not that I can figure out.
Additionally the stock itself is somewhat darker than the forend.
Recently I got ahold of a 12 gauge stock that bolts right on to my 20 gauge with no problem.
It is heavier and oversize by maybe a millimeter but it feels right, looks good, and has a better color match with the forend.
I hung a military sling on it though I doubt that is optimal for a shotgun.
The look and feel of wood and leather in combination with steel and lead can't be beat.
The versatility of 'stock options' and loads available should afford plenty of fun and utility.
This modest little scatter gun has quickly become one of the favorite pieces in the arsenal.
M500_20ga_U4893582003-0591.jpg~original

M500_20ga_U4893582003-0579.jpg~original

Wow, your twenty gauge just gets better looking each time you post.

I think all you need is the twenty gauge. You can get some powerful loads, med and mild loads. I love my twenty. I have recently gotten a Mossberg 500 in .410 and one in 12 ga. My 20 is a Remington.

Leather sling, wood stocks, blued steel and lead ammo. Classic.

Thanks for those great photographs.

Good lookin' shotty! :D Thanks for the pics. Love the "old school" wood,steel,leather.

A military sling is more than adequate for a shotgun. I don't know why you thought it wasn't. Your .20 gauge is looking really nice with the changes you've made.

Hell of a shotgun. Ive never shot a 20 gauge before. My dad has a 16 that I shot once but I personally love the 12gauge. Really any mossberg shotty is more than enough for the job though

Back