• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

25 rd mag swap

prodigalSON

Copper BB
Ok I did a search and didn't find what i was looking for so I'll just throw it out here. About the only thing I hate about my 715 is the way part of the magazine well looks like part of the magazine. If a man was to cut that part off to give it the look of the 223 magwell would a 25 round 702 magazine fit up in the well? IMO that's the only area on this rifle that leaves alot to be desired.

Anyone done it?
Any pics?

No bites!
Surely someone has thought about this. This gun would look awesome with the reciever cut out so the 25 round 702 magazine would fit up in it.

Attachments

• 37205.jpg
    37205.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 581
mingaa said:
I'm happy with a 702 and a fistful of 10s.

I feel the same, but the idea is just cosmetic. To give it a more authentic AR style mag like the S&W has. Function wise, my rifle has functioned flawless, no complaints in that department. Would just like to have a full size mag instead of half a mag. ;)

The receiver of the two guns is different. It dictates how the mag has to function and fit. The 715 has the same internals as the 702. The oal length of a 22LR is short compared to a 223/5.56 - form follows function is a solid design basic. Making something appear to be what it is not actually requires extra work and design, and would very likely increase price.

I have this unexplained need to customize everything I own. I see your point about form following function. Although the fact is Mossberg are the ones who made it appear something its not with the 223 style magazine well. If they would have went with a standard stlye mag well like Remington and Ruger had then I could have understood it. Mossy build, to my eyes, a killer gun that gives the 15-22 a run for its money. At half the price to boot. But the 223 style magazine well on the 715 looks like something off my kids toy guns from Walmart.

I guess the only way to see if it would work would be, take the poly shell off. Install the 25rd 702 mag and set it where it would go on top of one of the poly halves.

Does Mossberg sell replacement bodies for these guns? I think it would work but I can't bring myself to chop up a $300 gun without the ability to fix it back if I wanted.

they do not sell replacement bodies and i was told they have no plans of offering them.

i will say on my 715t's first trip back to mossberg for repairs. one of my complaints was that i had the carry handle version and it shot low. i was at the point where the rear sight was as far as it would go without the front sight being blocked by the carry handle. this was not my main issue but asked if i could buy a a flat top shell and sights to remedy this problem. i was told no on the phone, but included this "complaint" and request in my letter that included with the gun. when it came back, they had replaced the carry handle shell and sights with a flat top shell and sights.

if you don't know, the carry handle has the front sight molded into the shell and it is not adjustable like the flat top front sight is. the rear sights are the same i believe.

prodigalSON said:
I have this unexplained need to customize everything I own. I see your point about form following function. Although the fact is Mossberg are the ones who made it appear something its not with the 223 style magazine well. If they would have went with a standard stlye mag well like Remington and Ruger had then I could have understood it. Mossy build, to my eyes, a killer gun that gives the 15-22 a run for its money. At half the price to boot. But the 223 style magazine well on the 715 looks like something off my kids toy guns from Walmart.

I guess the only way to see if it would work would be, take the poly shell off. Install the 25rd 702 mag and set it where it would go on top of one of the poly halves.

Does Mossberg sell replacement bodies for these guns? I think it would work but I can't bring myself to chop up a $300 gun without the ability to fix it back if I wanted.

Ive thought about it, and im just like you i cant leave anything alone. My friend always yells at me when i bring something over and say "hey can you help me hack this all up" he always says "if it aint broke dont fix it" but i never listen.

Here was what i thought about trying. Taking some of the 10 rounders you can get cheap and buying some fake AR mags for airsoft and try and hack one of those into fitting.

Even if you hack the bottom of the receiver/frame where you have in the drawings the mag still fits into the metal receiver under all the plastic shell. THe only problem i see is the support. If you bump the mag when its loaded it may shift the mag around and cause feed issues.

Ive also though about putting a shell around the 25 round mag that when its inserted it just slides up over the plastic on the receiver and covers everything up. Cut the bottom like the S&W around the mag well and then on the mag cut the shell to the same angle so when its inserted it appears its fitting up inside the mag well. If that makes sence?

I myself dont mind the 10 round mags, the 25 round mags look better but if i could modify the 10 rounders to look more like AR mags ide use them insted of the 25. I only ever load 15-20 in the 25 rounder anyway. Ammo is to hard to find so 10 just helps me shoot it slower.

Here is what i did to my 10 rounder. used a block of wood
magextension-2_zps1c9c5919.jpg

prodigalSON said:
No bites!
Surely someone has thought about this. This gun would look awesome with the reciever cut out so the 25 round 702 magazine would fit up in it.

Now i see what you were thinking, i dont think the 702 25 rounder will work stock but i think it will if you cut it down a little.

You will be takinga risk though. First cutting the receiver part of the gun then the mag. You may be left with a paper weight if it didnt work.

715Tmagmod_zpsc3c7f59b.jpg

EDIT: now that i look at the mags side by side the 702 plinkster mag is not as wide as the 715T it would not look right attached. It looks more like a round for a magnum then a 223 round if that makes sence?

BowerR64 said:
prodigalSON said:
No bites!

Now i see what you were thinking, i dont think the 702 25 rounder will work stock but i think it will if you cut it down a little.

You will be takinga risk though. First cutting the receiver part of the gun then the mag. You may be left with a paper weight if it didnt work.

EDIT: now that i look at the mags side by side the 702 plinkster mag is not as wide as the 715T it would not look right attached. It looks more like a round for a magnum then a 223 round if that makes sence?

Yep, that was what I was thinking. I see what you mean about not being as wide now. I might just try to make a mold and pour a new mag body.

prodigalSON said:
BowerR64 said:
prodigalSON said:
No bites!

Yep, that was what I was thinking. I see what you mean about not being as wide now. I might just try to make a mold and pour a new mag body.

Why do that? why not find a mag for an AR and just modify a 10 rounder into it. I see AR like mags alot at cabelas, local gun shops and gun shows cheap that ar ejust plastic cases for other random ARs universal mags maybe?

The whole reason I want to cut that off is because I think it give the rifle a cheap look. Like a toy. The metal section of the magazine is what holds it in the reciever, so I know it can be done. One idea was to weld 2 of the 10rd magazines together and putting it in the metal body of an airsoft magazine. Poly Resin would hold it all together really well.
Now all I have to do is find some cheap metal airsoft mags and some 10rd mags.

prodigalSON said:
The whole reason I want to cut that off is because I think it give the rifle a cheap look. Like a toy. The metal section of the magazine is what holds it in the reciever, so I know it can be done. One idea was to weld 2 of the 10rd magazines together and putting it in the metal body of an airsoft magazine. Poly Resin would hold it all together really well.
Now all I have to do is find some cheap metal airsoft mags and some 10rd mags.

I actually dont mind the 10 round mags myself. Specially right now with .22 being so hard to find.

You would have to weld the 2 springs together if you did that or do what they did in the 25 rounder using a spacer.

The problem i see is most 25 rounders have a curve to em for some reason. I think it needs to be like this. Welding 2 together may cause issues. It might be fun to try when the mags come down in price right now it would still cost about $50. for 2 10 rounders.

I think you are missing a very relevant point regarding "form follows function" designs.
The way the .22lr bullet is designed the RIM is larger in diameter then the rest of the bullet, right?
So, if you try to STACK them the bullets would CURVE in a circle, right?

You how does anyone expect to get a straight mag with 25 bullets stacked on top of each other?
Looking closely through the slots it can be seen that the rounds are staggered to let them rest on top of each other and not on the rim-fire end. I don't think this entirely solves the problem.

Because of the staggered rounds, side forces are exerted that make having such a small diameter round more difficult to load. Slapping the mag (gently) into the palm of your hand, rim-fire end, helps settle the rounds. So does using a small anything to push the red follower down.

But, the reason I wrote this is I think the idea to get rid of the plastic housing on the 25 rd. is not a good one unless you are really going to be careful.
That housing that everyone believes is "just for looks" lends a LOT of stability/strength to the clip in the rifle.
Hitting the mag on something like a table top isn't likely to cause any real damage unless you really wacked it. Same thing without the plastic and the leverage multiplies several fold.
If you aren't worried about that... fine. Otherwise, I thought I better mention that "form DOES follow function" on the mag, even though it looks superfluous, imo.

I may be wrong about this. If anybody can show me were I went wrong I would appreciate it ;)
( I know when I want to pry something APART I use a THIN/strong pry bar...I would never use a brick :shock: )

speedyquad said:
i will say on my 715t's first trip back to mossberg for repairs. one of my complaints was that i had the carry handle version and it shot low. i was at the point where the rear sight was as far as it would go without the front sight being blocked by the carry handle.

I have the same problem with dialing in the rear sight of my 715T carry handle model. I noticed that if I remove the rail that sits atop the handle I have a much better view of the front sight.

Next time I go to the range I plan on shooting without that rail to see how things go. From just the one-time check it seems to me that without that rail there's a marked improvement in the ability to acquire a sight picture.

Searchin4Truth said:
I think you are missing a very relevant point regarding "form follows function" designs.
The way the .22lr bullet is designed the RIM is larger in diameter then the rest of the bullet, right?
So, if you try to STACK them the bullets would CURVE in a circle, right?

You how does anyone expect to get a straight mag with 25 bullets stacked on top of each other?
Looking closely through the slots it can be seen that the rounds are staggered to let them rest on top of each other and not on the rim-fire end. I don't think this entirely solves the problem.

Because of the staggered rounds, side forces are exerted that make having such a small diameter round more difficult to load. Slapping the mag (gently) into the palm of your hand, rim-fire end, helps settle the rounds. So does using a small anything to push the red follower down.

But, the reason I wrote this is I think the idea to get rid of the plastic housing on the 25 rd. is not a good one unless you are really going to be careful.
That housing that everyone believes is "just for looks" lends a LOT of stability/strength to the clip in the rifle.
Hitting the mag on something like a table top isn't likely to cause any real damage unless you really wacked it. Same thing without the plastic and the leverage multiplies several fold.
If you aren't worried about that... fine. Otherwise, I thought I better mention that "form DOES follow function" on the mag, even though it looks superfluous, imo.

I may be wrong about this. If anybody can show me were I went wrong I would appreciate it ;)
( I know when I want to pry something APART I use a THIN/strong pry bar...I would never use a brick :shock: )

Yeah i understand why most are curved but look at both mags. The stock 10 rounder is not curved its just slanted. The extension has the curve so is it for looks or is it part of the function? This may be why the 25 rounders tend to have issues because the lower half is curved but the top part (metal part) has no curve its just slanted. Which works better?

Back