• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

2nd round Feed trouble - gun or user error?

While shooting skeet today I had an interesting thing happen. I pumped (thought the whole way) and shot but pulled trigger and click - not bang. I pumped and spent "still smoking" shell comes out and there's not one in the tube. It's on the ground still unshot. (This was the 2nd house at a station). So did I short pump the mossy just enough to reset the firing pin and somehow it didn't fully load the next shell but dropped it out of the bottom? The firing pin did click so I had to have pumped it somewhat. I was very careful with the rest of the game and made sure each pump was solid and quick and had no problems. Took it home and cleaned it.

The gun has about 200 rounds through it, I've boresnaked after every 50-100 or so and just finally took the trigger group out and gave it a good cleaning.

Any thought/advice appreciated.

Thanks,

g-man

There is no way it could get through the lifter. Since no one is chiming in and I am confused by your post I am assuming you shot, the recoil jarred the next shell in line out of the tube because you didn’t have it pushed in all the way past the shell stop. As for the spent shell not coming out maybe the extractors didn’t catch or somehow it was short stroked in a way to put the spent shell back in ?.......don’t know about that one but the shell on the ground is probably one you didn’t have shoved in far enough.

oli700 said:
There is no way it could get through the lifter. Since no one is chiming in and I am confused by your post I am assuming you shot, the recoil jarred the next shell in line out of the tube because you didn’t have it pushed in all the way past the shell stop. As for the spent shell not coming out maybe the extractors didn’t catch or somehow it was short stroked in a way to put the spent shell back in ?.......don’t know about that one but the shell on the ground is probably one you didn’t have shoved in far enough.

If you've cleaned it you can't check to see that the cartridge interruptor and stop were put back in right after your previous cleaning. If you're new to the gun, that's definitely the hardest part of reassembly. That and/or as Oli said not inserting a shell in far enough could explain the shell on the ground. Lets face it, if you've got your ears on, you wouldn't hear a shell hitting the ground, so it may have never even made it in the tube! You shoot enough rounds you'll see everything!

The weird part is the spent shell not extracting. I assume it's the only one it happened with for the rest of the session? You gotta short stroke pretty bad to not extract AND not jam up slamming the spent shell back in chamber! Definitely not a "I thought I pumped it far enough" shortstroke.

Is this the first time its been completely broke down and cleaned? What kind of load are you using and what size?

I dont understand the extraction/ejection issue at all. For the shell on the ground, just as has been mentioned is possible, another possibility is that it jared loose. I've never experienced it or seen it, but have heard of it happenin.

Dunno man. I'm stumped.

Sorry for the confusion. No I had never stripped the gun down before, therfore the extractors were in from the factory. Great... Nnw guy stumps the experts. I'll chalk it up to a short pump and possibly jarring lose the round in the tube.

Remington Gun Club #8.

I did notice the tube seemed to be getting "gritty" as I put the rounds in so I made sure they went all the way in and gave them an extra thumbs push, so maybe I dislodged it that time instead.

Thanks for all the guesses. I'll see next time if I got it back together right ;-)

G

Gun Clubs are awesome so its probably not that and since you made a point to cycle the action hard and it didnt fail again I think you might have to chalk it up to a short stroke and a round not quite past the cartridge interruptor. It usually will be pushed out but if you are only loading two or three rounds it could hang up in there and not have enough spring to push it back at you

The grease thats applied to new Mossbergs from the factory can cause some weird stuff. Even sticky extractors.

I have a 500 on which I can just barely wiggle a shell in the mag tube and without depressing the cartridge stop the shell will pop loose.

How many rounds have you fired through it? The combination of grease and residue can get gritty and mess with the process cycling a shell through loading and ejecting.

I'm still just grasping at straws though.

Rossignol said:
How many rounds have you fired through it? The combination of grease and residue can get gritty and mess with the process cycling a shell through loading and ejecting.

I'm still just grasping at straws though

g-man-rocks said:
The gun has about 200 rounds through it, I've boresnaked after every 50-100 or so and just finally took the trigger group out and gave it a good cleaning.

I did wiped off most of the cosmolene that I could see and get to with just a patch when I first got the gun, before I ever took it out to the range. I didn't take out the trigger group however until yesterday. I was looking through the manual trying to see if there were instructions on how to clean out the magazine tube.

@Rossi - 200 rounds +/- 25, and yes, only 1 round in the chamber and 1 in the tube for skeet.

G

****UPDATE****

75 FLAWLESS rounds today. So I'll chalk it up to user error. I even had a few slooooooow pumps today (I was focusing on did I hit it or not) and not a single hick up.

Thanks for all the advice and guesses, I'd say this one's solved.

l8r
g-man

Not quite used to this editor yet so excuse the double posts etc.

G-man, on loading, be sure you push the shells forward into the tube up to your first thumb knuckle. You have to load them so they click past both the cartridge stop and the cart interrupter. If not, and you only clear one, you end up with the next shell on the ground on the next pump every time. Pump guns rely on both the cart stop and the interrupter to time the mag feeding sequence....and only clicking one defeats the feed process timing and you get that shell dropping back out the loading port every time. Another common prob is only pushing a shell forward til it hooks onto the elevator, too. Be sure to push them forward far enough.

Be well.

rich

Richard, good point about about getting past both the stop and interupter. I've done that myself a few times! ;)

RichardL said:
Not quite used to this editor yet so excuse the double posts etc.

G-man, on loading, be sure you push the shells forward into the tube up to your first thumb knuckle. You have to load them so they click past both the cartridge stop and the cart interrupter. If not, and you only clear one, you end up with the next shell on the ground on the next pump every time.

Be well.

rich

Thanks for the tips.

l8r
G

Back