• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

308 or 300??

Im going to start a new project here soon and decided to do a Remington 700 sniper rifle, but not sure If I want to go with a 308 or 300.
Looking for some input on what you all recommend or expierences with either?
There is no real purpose for the gun other than, I don't have one yet and something to use for long range target shooting for now.

.308 for ease of ammo sourcing and cost
p1651643157-4.jpg

That's a tough choice... both .308 and .300 are proven long distance performers.... I would guess it depends more on your application. The .300 will give you extra velocity and ft/lbs which of course translates to slightly better performance at long range.

The .308 is widely (well that's relative now :/ ) available, and I would assume cheaper to put together when talking the 700 platform, and the cartridge is cheaper of course. (will 700's in .308 accept PMAGs???)

If you're only planning on punching paper, my votes the .308... if you're adding taking large game at crazy distance to the mix... the .300.

See, now isn't that just clear as mud! :lol:

I was looking at the same thing except in .30-06 since I have a bunch of rounds that I can't use in my now dysfunctional Rem 7400...

I'm not sure that the 300 will do anything that the 308 can't aside from getting to the target a hair quicker.

I'd take the 308 (or 30-06) without question over the higher recoil of a magnum.

MikeD said:
I'm not sure that the 300 will do anything that the 308 can't aside from getting to the target a hair quicker.

I'd take the 308 (or 30-06) without question over the higher recoil of a magnum.

I'm going to agree with MikeD here. I sort of recently got back into longer range shooting. My Range supports up to 400 yards.

You can push a good .308 and 30-06 pretty far out there consistently. With both a Howa 1500 in 30-06 and a FNAR (308) I was able to confidently punch holes center mass of B27 type targets out to 300 yards, I'm not by any means an exceptional shooter. That was using some really "cheap" surplus ammo and I think
the 30-06 was with 150 Grain Winchester Whitebox something or other

I think I like the 308 more personally(not just because its in an FNAR). Mind you this may be complete BS scientifically speaking but 30-06 seems to shoot a little flatter while the 308 has a slightly more predictable arc. Again that is just my personal observation from shooting them side by side. I might be just all the 240B shooting at gunnery ranges or something, but its something I noticed.

MikeD said:

Well no one said .30-06... I'd take that over both the .300 and .308 :D

aksavanaman said:
MikeD said:

It was actually mentioned prior to my comment. :D

I'm a bit partial to the '06 as that is my go to deer rifle. Actually its my only rifle of the non-AR/AK variety. :D

Thanks for all the reply guys....
I was leaning more to the 308 myself, as a majority of the 700 platforms I came across seem to be widely used in a 308, but also seen difference that some used the 300 for a bit more of a punch down range. (Different is good)

To me it seems to be individual round preferance as the 2 seem comparable, depending on its use for the most part.
I appreciate the input guys on this in helping with a decision on a barrel round.

nitesite said:
stigmata, what is "long range"?

I dont know what most of you consider long range, but to me its around the 300-500 yard range, which is more than the 25-100 yards that I shoot now with my SG and AR.

Now im not trying to hit anything a mile out or nothing like that, just a good distance out of my normal comfort zone where most of ones targets usually are.

aksavanaman said:
MikeD said:

me too

And for range use I would agree with the others but for anything other than range use a 300 win mag has way more poop than a 308 any day any circumstance any condition the 300 is a way better killing machine than a .308 at any distance......

aksavanaman said:
MikeD said:

Hey, AK, over here...yeah, I said .30-06...but I was in the shadows... ;) :lol:

aksavanaman said:
Is there somone talking??? ...who's this OhioArcher guy anyways :D

I am the shadows, I am the figure you thought you saw in the corner of your eye but nothing was there...I am full of myself tonight, huh? :lol:

Back