• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

308 question....for a bolt action

What's the difference.....BRASS or STEEL casings??
Ok, so I found some Monarch Steel 308 rounds at academy for 12.99/box(20) as opposed to the standard 35.00+/box of other brass brands, that I'll be using in my bolt action to just punch holes in paper. now i have heard the horror stories about steel rounds in an AR, but the opposite for the AK. Never heard anything about steel in a bolt action, so I guess I want to know if it makes a difference to use steel rounds in BA over the standard brass.
You cant beat the price of them for the money just for shooting targets and sighting in the scope.

Just like to know if there is a difference .....

I have ran both through my bolt actions but now I primarily go for brass since I started reloading. I see no reason not to use steel to save money on paper punching.

Brass is softer than your feed ramp, chamber, bolt, extractor, etc.

With brass you don't run the risk of damaging your rifle over time. The idea is that steel cases on the other hand can cause a decrease in the life of your barrel and small parts due to an increase in wear. I've never shot steel cased ammo through anything other than my AK, so I can't comment on the practice in a bolt gun...

As long as the bullet jacket is actually copper (not copper washed steel jacket) I don't believe you'll do any long term harm nor will they cause any significant wear to your bolt rifle. The steel casing is a very mild steel, much milder than tool or forged steel such as you'll have in the barrel, receiver, or extractor/ejector parts.

I have only seen steel-cased with coated steel-jacketed ammo in ComBloc cartridge calibers so I very seriously doubt that .308 Winchester will have anything but full copper jackets that won't prematurely wear your barrels rifling. Monarch is Academy Sports' own brand label and is contracted and made for them in modern ammo factories with good quality control and non-corrosive components.

I'd shoot it, definitely. Maybe not a steady diet of it, but occasionally until you can get brass cartriges later on at a price you can better agree with I don't see much reason not to.

BTW, my Academy has lots of Winchester White Box 7.62x51 Q3130 that is ..... .308 Winchester! It's made in USA, brass cased, and is $19.99 all the time. It's decent for casual plinking out to a couple hundred yards but it won't group as well as the forty dollar stuff.

Thanks for the reassurance and info guys.....
Just don't want to break the bank shooting the new 308. Of course for hunting I'll drop the bills for a better quality round.....but for fun, the cheaper the better.
Ill b looking for the 7.62x51 rounds now..... See these around all over the place. (Is that BEAR brand ok for plinking.... Those r always way cheap?)

Keep in mind that your zero will change with ammo. Even with the same weight and design of bullet. So you will have to re-zero every time you switch ammo. And trajectories will differ.

dieselmudder said:
Keep in mind that your zero will change with ammo. Even with the same weight and design of bullet. So you will have to re-zero every time you switch ammo. And trajectories will differ.

Very good point. Absolutely.

nitesite said:
dieselmudder said:

Very good point. Absolutely.
Will keep that in mind bro. Thx again.

Back