• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

3d printed pistol - including barrel

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Looks like a fully plastic gun is about to become a reality. Barrels and some other parts have always had to be metal, but Defense Distributed has recently made a pistol that only uses 2 metal pieces - the firing pin and a non-functional piece to make it legal.

The world's first gun made up almost entirely of 3D-printed components has been created, Forbes reports. The firearm, called the "Liberator," is a small pistol-like weapon that can shoot various types of handgun bullets through several interchangeable plastic barrels. It's still a prototype for now and reportedly has not been tested — yet. But that's coming soon, according to its creators at Defense Distributed, an Austin, Texas-based collective of gun access advocates led by crypto-anarchist Cody Wilson. The group told Forbes that once the gun has been tested and proven to be functional, they will publish the digital blueprints for it on their website, Defcad.org, allowing anyone to make it.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/3/429658 ... t-fully-3d

The group told Forbes that once the gun has been tested and proven to be functional, they will publish the digital blueprints for it on their website, Defcad.org, allowing anyone to make it...

...and will be setting place mats for the BATFE visitors that are sure to arrive at their door...

If anyone watched the Rise of the AR 15 show, they showed a great piece about printed lowers and mags...being fired.....in your face to the Feds proving the tighter the grip gets the more slips through their fingers.
If they weren’t pushing this issue so hard no one would be printing guns....not like this anyway......I blame a tyrannical government for turning good folks into criminals. But is it really illegal ? I have looked into 80% lowers with no numbers , how is this that different?

I can finish 80% lowers on a drill press with end mill cutters, no numbers, perfectly legal.

What interests me is the type of plastic being used for the barrel, and how long it will last. Plastic doesn't usually stand up to well to the kind of heat and pressure generated by bullets.

Sounds almost like the "Liberator" handgun is (in theory) a virtual throwback to the GM-made Liberator single shot pistol dropped to the French Underground during WWII. It only had to last long enough to kill an enemy who was in posession of a firearm better than the Liberator.

Having the same name cannot be a mere coincidence.

Sorry to say, but you couldn't pay me to fire one of these things.

We work with 3D printed samples on the job and they are brittle as hell. They snap in half if you look at 'em wrong. Can't imagine how this stuff would hold up under the pressure of a discharged round. Seems more of a 3D printed frag grenade to me...

Back