• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.410 Ammo that my 500E Home Security won't digest....

campbejb

Copper BB
Anybody else have trouble with their 500E (.410) not functioning with certain ammo?

I have found that the Fiocchi Game/Target Loads 2 1/2", 1/2 oz, 1200 fps, #8 Lead Shot will NOT fit into the magazine tube or feed / eject properly. It is a "low brass" round.

I have tried Federal (handgun) 2.5" 000 buck, and some of their 2.5" slugs, as well as Winchester 3" 6 Shot and they all feed and function reliably. Even if they are "mixed" within the magazine. (these are all "high brass")

As I just purchased this shotty (very good slightly used condition), I want to make sure that everything is kosher with it before trusting it as a HD weapon. Especially since it was purchased with the intent that my girlfriend could use it if I wasn't there or able to address the threat.

The only issues I have ever had with Allisons .410 is, (although it says 5 shot) when I load 4 into the magazine and one chambered. Its almost like there is too much pressure on the spring and will often upon ejecting the first shell, dump two more rather than one onto the lifter. It only happens when the magazine is fully loaded. If I down load by one shell, then no issues. Not a big deal for either myself or Allison.

We have shot the handgun loads in 2 1/2" and Remington HD 4 pellet 00 buck and ALOT of Winchester high speed and target loads. The high speed were #6 I think and 1600 fps, while the target/bird loads are Winchester AA Super Handicap 7 1/2 or 8 and I think is between 1200 and 1300 fps.

Other than what I mentioned, never an issue.

Thanks for the info. I have never used a pump .410 before - all mine growing up were the 'ol single shot breaks. This one seems a little finicky. I have not had a missfeed/load (except for the Fiocchi stuff) but sometimes when chambering the first round, it seems really stiff - like I have to give it a really hard tug on the pump or kind of a double jerk to get it to chamber. I must have run close to 100 through it (not actually shooting, just chambering, ejecting, chambering, ejecting) putting 4 into the magazine each time. They all chambered and ejected, but the first one wasn't always easy. I am debating going back to see the fellow I bought it off of to get a (hopefully honest) opinion of his experience. I have bought stuff off him before and he seems to be a trustworthy fellow.

BUY American! BTW if you want to use cheap ammo ask yourself one question-
how much is your or those you care about worth?? Practice with what you want to use in the worst case scenario!

ladytech777 said:
how much is your or those you care about worth?? Practice with what you want to use in the worst case scenario!

I agree with this. I (we, Allison and myself) practice shooting with what we would use/depend upon were it needed. I personally havent tried any ammo other than Federal, Hornady, Winchester, and Remington. My preference, first is for the Federal, Hornady after that when I can get it, and then for the .410, I like the Remington 00 buck. I dont mind the Winchester 00 in my 12 ga's for target and range time when my Federal 00 FliteControl low recoil is running shy. The Remington HD 00 buck 4 pellet patterned pretty well for us at HD ranges.

ladytech777 said:
+2 to that!

sometimes the low brass gets 'torqued' in relation to the plastic hull and that 'bends' the shell so it won't feed well. Its all a quality control issue. Look at Lightfield HD rubber buckshot for the .410

Back