• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.45-70 Govt. or...

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
I've been doin some research on the .45-70 rifle cartridge.

I dont know much about it, though in reading it doesnt sem to have a very flat trajectory and historically was used for volley fire and sometimes at very long range, still capable of delivering very lethal results. The Sandy Hook test of 1879 produced a heavier 500 gr. bullet that could reach out to 3300 yards, penetrate (3) 1" thick oak boards at a trajectory of about 30 degrees, and still bury its self nose first in the sand. But thats a heck of a rainbow trajectory!

I'm interested in a single shot rifle, which as far as I can find has a 1:20 twist rate. I'm not interested in duplicating the Sandy Hook test, but the rifle can be used in some states for "primitive gun season" which tradtionally has been muzzle loader season. I'm lookin at ranges of 100 yards or less.

I'm wonderin here if anyone has any experience with the .45-70 cartridge? What bullet and powder charge? Any manufacturer recommended? Any what about the recoil? Would a muzzle brake be a worthwhile investment if I go this route?

Thanks for your help MO family!!! ;)

I have only shot that round through a Thompson Contender. It wasn’t very fun to shoot over 5 rounds but that barrel for the TC frame really is just for hunting. Like to tear your hand off, but seemed to hit hard , I only shot it at 100 yards , 400 something grain, but it was real accurate through a Contender 14 inch barrel. I met a guy in Alaska who hunts moose with his 45-70 Contender. He said is longest one shot kill was 80 yards and I believe him.He cast his own 400 grain bullets, I cant remember what he was using for powder. What are thinking of getting or using it for ?

Well, I was thinkin of getting the H&R Handi-Rifle. Thats another thats been on my radar for some time now.

I know... I have a handful of guns I've been eyeballin for awhile. Tryin to prioritize which I want first...

Some states are allowing a single shot rifle like the Handi-Rifle for what is now called "primitive hunting". It used to be for muzzle loaders and black powder, but the Handi-Rifle is now allowed under new restrictions. It effectively adds 2 weeks to gun hunting season for people like me who dont wanna bother with loading powder and ball (or even sabot rounds). The single shot rifle has to be equal to or greater than a .38. Otherwise the rifle is chambered in .30-06 too, or it may be .30-30.

But just as you mentioned, the thing kicks harder than many other things available. I also want to find more info on the different bullet weights available and what would be recommended for the particular rifling to give a reasonably flat trajectory within the kind of range I would be hunting. I dont need to send round hundreds of yards, so something with a lower pressure charge and maybe a lighter weight round?

Yeah Oli, I havent seen anything yet saying it doesnt hit like a freight train. Everything I have read to this point says the load is efficiently deadly at quite some range and is enjoyed as a hunting load cuz it doesnt destroy meat. I dont know why that is though...

I like to look at things I can carry with a pack or to hunt with. I dont know yet that this would be suitable, but the cost of the gun is very reasonable.

I would like to try it out of a rifle....the pistol was a fire breathing dragon. I think it dosent damage meat so much because the low velocity. How much is the ammo these days ?

Youre gonna choke...

Anywhere from $30 (Winchester Super X 300 gr. JHP) for 20 to $70 (Cor Bon Hunter 350 gr. bonded soft point) for 20.

Thats some expensive shooting, though many sabot loads for 12 ga cost as much and I have seen as much as $4 per shell...

Back