• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

4x4 model 2012 skeletonized stock

wacio

Copper BB
I'm looking to buy 4x4 and would like latest model hoping that few bugs (extractor breaking etc) are going to be worked out. Also like the spiral fluted bolt look.

The problem I have is that it appears though that 2012 doesn't have skeletonized stocks any more. I would opt for sculpted one in synthetic or laminated variety but they also seems to be gone.

I'm saying it just by going through their 2012 catalogue and web site.

Are these styles discontinued?

If yes, were they because of the problems with them? (In case I decided to go prior year model)

The skeleton stock was discontinued in 2010. And yes the skylpted stock is gone for 2012, which is a shame because that's what I wanted my next 4x4 to have. I'm not sure why they were discontinued...

My .308 which I just got last month has the skeltonize synthetic stock even though the picture in the on-line catalog does not show it. The catalog also shows a muzzle break which mine did not come with. When I check with Davidson's they said that Mossberg has not updated their on-line information. Davidson's does have some available, if you want to go that way. I'd give them a call to be sure they have what you want.
Mine shoots great with the exception of the extractor, which may be due to my only necksizing the new brass or using Winchester unfired brass. I'm trying Hornady unfored brass next to see if they work better.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/defa ... code=95827

mnh2obuff said:
My .308 which I just got last month has the skeltonize synthetic stock even though the picture in the on-line catalog does not show it. The catalog also shows a muzzle break which mine did not come with. When I check with Davidson's they said that Mossberg has not updated their on-line information. Davidson's does have some available, if you want to go that way. I'd give them a call to be sure they have what you want.
Mine shoots great with the exception of the extractor, which may be due to my only necksizing the new brass or using Winchester unfired brass. I'm trying Hornady unfored brass next to see if they work better.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/defa ... code=95827

If your rifle didn't come with brake, fluted barrel and bolt it could be left over 2010 model. This could also explain your extractor (old design) problems. Cheaperthendirt has some of those left too at much lower price. I may decide to go that route.

I agree, if it didn't have a break or open sights, then it was an old model. Keep in mind, those with open sights never had the break. You could probably find older models around online, and in my opinion, if it has the features you want, no reason not to get it.

wacio,

Could yo tell me what the specific problem was with the extractor and if they made a fix. My gun was manufactured in May 2011 according to Mossberg. Could the replacement parts I received be an upgrade?

mnh2obuff said:
wacio,

Could yo tell me what the specific problem was with the extractor and if they made a fix. My gun was manufactured in May 2011 according to Mossberg. Could the replacement parts I received be an upgrade?

Not sure whether your replacement parts were upgraded. I know about the extractor from my pre-buy research. It appears to be popular problem one these. I know that manufacturer changed bolt for 2012 to fluted design. If they were changing stuff on the bold they probably fixed any open issues with extractors. (or so I hope)

I bought an older, "new", skeletonized stock 30-06 last month. I don't know how long it was at the LGS, but I'd also been looking for that type of stock. I just happen to stop off at the LGS on the way to Academy to buy a 4x4 with a black synth stock.

Attachments

• Mossberg 4x4 30-06.jpg
    Mossberg 4x4 30-06.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,193
Back