• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

5.3 Earthquake confirmed

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
About an hour ago, we had an unexected shock.

A 5.3 earthquake has been confirmed by USGS with an epicenter less than 30 aeronautical miles from my house.

We could hear it coming (rumbling), and when it got here, gave us a pretty good shake. My Uncle and Aunt had some pictures come off their wall, but thankfully, no major damage that I can see at our place, but it was strong enough that it scared me a little with all the shaking going on inside and out.

Thankfully it didn't last but maybe 3 or 4 seconds, but I'm more than a little concerned about our miners who are a couple of miles deep working today. That's not exactly the best place to be during an earthquake.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... index.html

at00mda7lp_ciim.jpg

John A. said:
but I'm more than a little concerned about our miners who are a couple of miles deep working today. That's not exactly the best place to be during an earthquake.

wow that would be epic.....you hearing anything about that yet ? Has that happend before that you can remember ?

Very little chatter about anything yet but a lot of people are on edge about it.

We've had earthquakes before (after all, that's how our mountains came about) but the last one I personally remember was more than 20 years ago when I was in high school, but this one was definately bigger. A lot bigger.

I actually went outside to look in the direction that it came from because initially, I wondered if my bug-out plan needed to be initiated. That's how loud the oncoming rumbling and the intensity was at my house. I wondered if a big explosion had been set off.

John A. said:
the last one I personally remember was more than 20 years ago when I was in high school, but this one was definately bigger. A lot bigger.
what happend in the mines then ?

John A. said:
I actually went outside to look in the direction that it came from because initially, I wondered if my bug-out plan needed to be initiated. That's how loud the oncoming rumbling and the intensity was at my house. I wondered if a big explosion had been set off.
I've done that here....It was at night and I actually ran outside with a gun. When I saw water in the horse trough sloshing around I then thought the volcano might be going off....lol

No major incidents happened as for cave-ins and roof falls that I recollect back then, but especially during the winter months when there is always less atmospheric pressure, is worse for methane gas seapage, so any active mine will surely be checking all the man made seals and barriers to watch for any abnormalities that can cause a later explosion or suffocation, even if there is no apparent physical damage noticable, still doesn't mean the danger is over for them.

As for mines that are not in operation, the danger is higher because no one will be checking for that, and it is not too very uncommon for old mines to "blow out" or catch fire

We had an abondoned mine fire a couple years ago in the Lejunior community supposedly ignited by a lightning strike.

John A. said:
We had an abondoned mine fire a couple years ago in the Lejunior community supposedly ignited by a lightning strike.

I hear they can burn for a while

Just to update, I checked our properties and they all seemed OK the best I can tell.

But at Whitesburg, there were a lot of cracked sidewalks and foundations and buildings (namely their court house being damaged on multiple floors according to the 11 o clock news).

No mine accidents that I am aware of, so that is a very good thing. They'll still have to monitor things for a while though. Especially if we get any significant aftershocks.

Wow, I hope that all are indeed ok. We have had 3 or 4 small quakes in my life with one around 5 that shook and rattled things for 5-10 seconds. I can't imagine being underground for one.

I hear they can burn for a while
Coal mine fires under Centralia, PA have been burning non stop since 1962.

Back