• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500A Shells stay in magazize

colawars

Copper BB
When I draw the action back on my Mossberg 500a 12g, the shell stop doesn't move far enough over to allow the shell to exit the magazine. Could anyone give me an idea as to what could be wrong?

What model is it exactly? Is it one of the special purpose models, or Persuader, or a field model? How old is it?

Have you pulled the trigger and checked everything out, pull the bolt too if you havent already.

I'll ask around.

This is pretty much the same that the 930 I bough first was doing. Every time the bolt action was move rearward, the shell stop would not move enough to release the shell. Many were saying that the spring on the mag tube might be putting too much pressure on the shells provoking them to get jam. I dont have the 930 any more. now I have a 500 pump action.

You didn`t mention if this is a new gun, etc. Anyway, if you haven`t done the following do so before trying anything more drastic:

Field strip the gun per owners manual and clean thoroughly. I like Simple green, others have other preferences.

Varify the the magazine tube is screwed in right. On a new gun this should be a non-issue because they are `glued`in at the factory.

Lub with any name brand gun oil. I like Break Free, others have other preferences. Lubing means putting the THINNEST LAYER OF OIL HUMANLY POSSIBLE and wiping off any excess.

Make sure the barrel is seated correctly. This done by turning the barrel nut firmly but with hand pressure only.

You also didn`t mention if there are any aftermarket parts or if a previous owner was an amateur gunsmith. If either of these is true, look at everything with a very suspicious eye.

Owners manual is available a Mossberg.com and a field stripping guide is also posted on this site. Let us know what eventually works out.

The shell stop is made with a bit of flex so it can rock in and out of that slot it sits in. Chances are yours is just flexed too much. Take it out and try a *really gentle* unbend. If that doesn't fix your problem, buy a new stop from Numrich or gunbroker.com. That's an inexpensive part.

rich

Back