• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 A1 Barrel Finish

I think Mossberg hates me.
After all the 930 SPX problems I decided to sale it and pick up a 590A1. Well the 590 arrived today...

Take a look at the finish round the barrel lugs and front sight base.

It appears they forgot to refinish this barrel after welding the lugs and sight.

Does anybody else have a 590 with finish like this?

7cce5ac7.jpg

b364d719.jpg

that is sometimes normal for silver solder not to take a finish...actually I dont think it can be parked at all

That's what mine looked like outta the box.

I used a little touch up paint around the silver soldered areas and now I don't notice it...

My 18.5 inch 590a1 looks the same. Every one I've seen looks like that. I assumed it had to do with the heavy walled barrel not fitting the curve in the standard lug, and needing a "float" of solder. Mainly because my 835 barrel is much more "discreet" in its use of solder.

blue said:
My 18.5 inch 590a1 looks the same. Every one I've seen looks like that. I assumed it had to do with the heavy walled barrel not fitting the curve in the standard lug, and needing a "float" of solder. Mainly because my 835 barrel is much more "discreet" in its use of solder.

Yup the pics above look like most 590A1's I've seen.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

Same here, silver solder cant be parkerized.

It stops bbeing noticable after awhile. Go get it dirty! :D

Well its good to know i'm not the only one...

Its nothing a black sharpie wont fix, but you think Mossberg would show a little pride.

Gonna strip, clean and lube it today. Hopefully i'll have a great range report next week.

That is normal. Find your favorite coverup material and have at it if you find you really don't like it. Me, I never even pay it any attention.

oli700 said:
troutburger said:
you think Mossberg would show a little pride
What do you suggest they do, issue sharpies ?

Well primarily I suggest they start taking a little pride in their work.
If issuing sharpies or touch up paint is the best they can do, then yes.

Sure its not a huge deal, and I realize this is a work horse shotgun. And it will be beat all to hell by next fall, but even a new plow comes with a decent coat of paint from the factory.

This is shotgun is for personal use, but as an FFL holder it would be hard to sell the last few mossy's I have had as new condition. Due to factory defects in fit and finish.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, but its fact. Final fit and finish influence customer's decisions on what guns they purchase.

troutburger said:
I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, but its fact. Final fit and finish influence customer's decisions on what guns they purchase.

As I said, I think it's necessary. Either from the heavy barrel in the lug, or from the fact that the strength and durability "standards" are higher for a firearm that may see potential military/police usage. My 835 barrel does NOT look like that. My 590a1 is a short barrel model so there aren't two lugs like yours, and it still has that kind of soldering.

If you see your gun this way
51660.jpg

More than this way

Shotgun_Bead_Sight_Alignment.jpg

You're doing it wrong ;)

troutburger said:
Due to factory defects in fit and finish.

I dont personally see it as a defect. It is what it is really. Silver solder is commonly used, but even with barrel refinishing it doesnt get covered up.

Like i was saying and what Blue said, you get to where you dont notice it.

Another thing, its a Mossberg! It stands out in a crowd and theres nothin else like it! ;) Go beat it, you'll love it!

Well took the ole 590 to the range Saturday.
50 Rounds of cheapo Wally birdshot
15 Rounds of 00 buck
30 Rounds of Remington sluggers
and some random old turkey loads thrown in for good measure.

Gun function = flawless.
There are some rough spots in the action but I think it will smooth out with more cleaning and use.
At 25 yards could keep all the slugs in the neck/head area. 25 yard 5 shot group was smaller than a baseball. Does shoot a might low for my tastes, but I still have some adjustment left in the GRS.

I need to hit the forearm with some sandpaper, b/c there are lots of sharp edges left in the plastic.

So other than a sore shoulder i'm pleased to say this one is a keeper.

Good deal!

It will def smooth out after some use! The sharp plastic flash is weird! I've never seen any...

Back