• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 barrel swap

173dsoldier

Copper BB
I have a 590 with a 20 in barrel and the 8 round magazine tube. I wanted to get an 18.5in. Do i need to get a shorter magazine tube or will the 8 round one fit? Also, ive been able to find the barrel that I want but not any shorter magazine tubes. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

With the configuration of the 590 20" barrel series I do not believe you can place an 18" barrel on it.

If you want a shorter shotgun perhaps sell that one (market is rich right now so you should have a problem) and buy another shotgun which matches what you want.

or

Just buy a new shotgun and have 2.

Welcome aboard!

Switching from a 20" to an 18.5" barrel is definitely doable, but you will need a shorter mag tube because the lug that secures the barrel to the tube is about 5.5" closer to the receiver on the 18.5" barrels. You'll also need a shorter spring. I'm in the process of converting my 8 shot and there are no retailers I've found that sell the shorter 5 round 590 mag tubes. Good news is that you can call Mossberg sales and order one directly from them...

(800) 363-3555

Part # 12113P - Mag Tube 835 Parkerized, $33.50
Part # 12194 - Spring, Magazine 835, $3.50

Took the part numbers and descriptions above from the invoice that came with my order back in November. Prices are before shipping costs were added and my order shipped for $8.95. The 835/590 5 round mag tubes and springs are the same and the tube I ordered is park'd, so if you need one that is blued you'll need to ask for a different part number.

You'll likely have to wait on hold for a while with a wait time countdown, but it never takes as long as the counter says and I've never had to wait more than ten minutes. Ask for Edna if she's available, she's awesome!

Tell her L.E.S. from Mossberg Owners says hi...

Back