• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 for patrol long gun

Ok guys, Lt says I can use my personal 590A1 on patrol. Have the 18" with ghost ring and Choate pistol grip stock. Mesa Tactical side saddle to go on. I dont want a light for now, so no need for rail. I like to keep my long guns simple. Any other thoughts for duty use. We only carry rifled slugs ( usually lower recoil Remington). Thanks for the help guys as I put my squad gun together. No more beat up agency 870s to fumble with :)

Buddy, thanks for serving your community and welcome to MO!

I think you're good to go as is. You got the basics covered, good sights for slugs and able to carry extra ammo.

Youd probably have a hard time doing better, as far as shotguns go anyway.

I'd definitely re-evaluate the light thing, if I were you.

It's been said here already but I don't think you can get much better than a 590 or 590A1 with GRS and all slugs.

That's what I carry in my patrol car, and it's a personally-owned firearm just as is yours. There is a four-rd sidesaddle on it with three more Federal Low Recoil Truball Slugs, and one lonely 2-3/4" 00-buck round.

I do have a mount on mine (ElZetta ZSM) that allows me to take my belt light and slide into the mount in about five seconds.

590A1 = 5-stars
Low Recoil Slugs = 5-stars
Sidesaddle = 5-stars

I knew NiteSite had the same setup and would be able to vouch for it with more authority than I could.

I think he was an officer once in like Atlanta or something. Go Bulldogs! ;)

Thanks guys will take another look at the light. I work day shift as a supervisor working with our young service officers. I do get out from behind the desk and patrol especially in the warmer months ( we have primary responsibilty for parks and conservation areas) Lots of our city guys have put the shotguns away and only carry a black rifle. I still like to have both at hand and as our rifles are our own, I want my own tube gun also.

Nitesite do you like the TruBall slugs best? As my age increases ( I am a card carrying AARP member) my tolerance for heavy recoil has gone down. :lol:

officerdave

Hey Dave. NYPD Lt. here. Just on the light, can't hurt to consider it. I got caught up in a dark basement one day while working day tours years back. Ever since that day, I've carried one. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Just my own two cents. I really wish on my job we could carry long guns, but alas, can not. Stay safe brother.

yep on a rethink I agree with NYPD Lt..I carry a flashlight on the belt and rarely if ever work nights.

Just a side note to NYPD Lt you on patrol in NYC and do not carry/have long guns? I know you guys have the Special Response guys but they cant be everywhere. You have a lot more bad two legged creatures wondering around then my jurisdiction ever will ( although the Windy City is shooting to beat the band!) I always like the old saying...my handgun covers me until I can deploy my long gun or in an emergency when my long gun goes dry..... stay safe brother out East

Yeah Dave. The liberals are concerned with us possibly hitting innocent bystanders with long guns. A valid concern since we are so densely populated but the same could be true with our sidearms. Our swat guys (we call em Emergency service unit or esu for short) are usually about 15-20 minutes away on a rush so we are usually left to our own devices and usually do well. For now. I really believe a big concern is cost but I know a group of my cops that would gladly bring their own in and that I know train on their own. Oh well. We do what we can with this liberal city.

+3 (or 4?) on the Light! Nightsite got me turned on to the Elzetta light package, and as soon as some of that tax refund comes in, I should have one in the mail! Piggybacking off the rest, thanks for keeping your community safe!

officerdave said:
Nitesite do you like the TruBall slugs best? As my age increases ( I am a card carrying AARP member) my tolerance for heavy recoil has gone down. :lol:

officerdave

Hi, Dave. I do absolutely like the Tru-Ball 1300-fps 1-oz slug. They are very accurate from cylinder bore smoothbores. And as I wear eyeglasses I appreciate the lowered recoil so my thumb doesn't bust me in the nose as a full-power 1600-fps load typically does.

Stay Safe.

Dave

aksavanaman said:
Nightsite got me turned on to the Elzetta light package, and as soon as some of that tax refund comes in, I should have one in the mail!

I appreciate the ElZetta ZSM mount with quick-snugging thumbscrew ($7 upgrade) so I can use the light for lots more things and then securely mount it on the gun in seconds. It's far less bulky to have the shotgun without light in its case until use. And when I'm done using the long gun the ElZetta light goes back on my belt again in a flash.

When I bring the 590 home I usually lock the light on the gun for the day/night off and then easily remove it without tools when I go back to work.

I realize it's not for everyone but I'm absolutely pleased with the light mount design.

I'd also recommend Brenneke slugs. They are accurate like the Tru-Balls.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Back