• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 Forend

jkwa1

Copper BB
Hi All, I recently changed the stock on my 590A1 - 18.5" to the BlackHawk Spec
Ops w/ recoil buffer and love it. It came with the forend as well. Does anyone know if that new forend works with the 590A1. It says it works with a 7 5/8" slide tube. And is it hard to remove the old and install the new? I saw one you tube video and the guy had to cut the old one off. Thanks guys for any help. Sorry I am a newbie, but I think my Mossberg is awesome !!!!!

jkwa1, How ya doin!

I changed forends on both my 590A1 and my 500. To change it out, I removed the trigger pin from the receiver, pulled the trigger, cartridge stop and interupter. Then pull the bolt slide.

Once that is done you can wiggle and finess the forend/action slide tube arms, free from the receiver and slide it off of the magazine tube. Look at the end of the forend with the nut, its the end nearest the muzzle. Youll see how the nut is crenelated, or castle like. The best way for me to do it with out the actual forend nut wrench tool, is to lay an allen wrench across the crenelations and apply some force downward and turn like any other nut.

The OFM factory forend will slide off easily enough! The aftermarket forend may be tight. Like real tight. I'd put money on the thing goin on for sure! I dont know if any dremmeling will be required or not. I didnt have to dremmel either of mine, but I put a trirail on my 590A1 which has a more tollerance in the fit between the forend and the barrel.

Hope this helps, and if you need more detailed info, we'll get it!

Thank you so much, sounds easy enough I think I will tackle that project tomorrow. I am very fortunate to have found this site especially we so many helpful people willing to help. Thanks again

jkwa1 said:
Thank you so much, sounds easy enough I think I will tackle that project tomorrow. I am very fortunate to have found this site especially we so many helpful people willing to help. Thanks again
Great bunch of guys and gals here. Hell, we'll even fire some rounds through it for you if you really want. ;)

Try the Hogue forend instead fo the mossberg 590A1. Its cost about 20.00 and has a better feel to it. The blackhawk forend that comes with the nrs stock does not fit well.

nitesite said:
+1 on Hogue overmolded replacements.

+2!!! The Hogue stuff is awesome, may be issues fitting it to the 590A1 though. "DaveinCT" replaced the factory forend with the Hogue and said it required a little dremmeling.

I have a 590A1 with a speedfeed stock. The Hogue forend went on with no problems or modifications. The enhanced safety button from Brownells is another must have modification.

I have read that ALL the mossberg tactical shotguns use the old 7 5/8 forend tube. I know my 5 shot 18.5 does. Anybody know for certain? I read in another thread on here that mossberg recently changed the forend mounting?

blue said:
I have read that ALL the mossberg tactical shotguns use the old 7 5/8 forend tube. I know my 5 shot 18.5 does. Anybody know for certain? I read in another thread on here that mossberg recently changed the forend mounting?

Right! Both mine have the longer tube. I recently looked at a sproting 20 ga. with the new set up with pinned action bars. I dont care too much for it, but it seems fine.

As far as I have seen, its the sporting models that have the new forends, whether or not the tactical models like the Persuader or 590/590A1 will have the pinned forends I dont know yet.

I will do some looking into it though!

Back