• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 jammed

Shadowdog

.22LR
Hello, new poster here..and really need some help. I searched here and couldn't find a related topic. There are 4- 2&3/4" shells in the mag. tube and one in the chamber. I was cycling the action to unload it and with the first pump the action lock lever stuck in the up position. Slide will not budge. Mossberg is backed up with service requests and is 3-4 days out.
I'm in a remote area and the island (PR) is in quarantine. There are few gunsmiths around and I know of none, and it will be weeks before I might find one.
It may come to trying to unwind this issue myself. I owned a Mossberg 500 years ago but only disassembled
it a couple of times so it'll be like learning over again.
Where to start? Thanks

It is a loaded firearm so what ever you do be careful. Barrel pointed in a safe direction. Safety engaged. Fingers away from the trigger.

If the action bar is back and the bolt is out of battery then remove the barrel. Then the trigger assembly and so on. There are great disassembly videos on you tube to give you guidance.

Shadowdog,
I looked at the thread and it seems easy enough to do if you need to do it. Just some careful filing. No real need for a gunsmith as long as your comfortable with this sort of thing.
I’ve never experienced any of these issue on my 4 mossy pumps. If I did or if I do I would try it at least. I may try it on one just for the hell of it while I’m stuck in the house anyway.

On the old Mossberg 500 the action lock lever hung up once and not knowing what to do, I took it to a gunsmith. Not sure what he did but it never happened again.
Yeah, being stuck in the house...I might try it also.
My issue here is I can't put a lot of shells through it to break it in...2nd Amendment is restricted here a bit. Sept. and Oct. is dove season and I can shoot some, but 100-200 rds. might cause a stir. When things clear up I will check into whether the skeet range is still in business. I think the last hurricane did it in, tho.

Glad to hear you sorted it out, 'dog. :) There is no "law" that a gunsmith, dealer or factory can be the only ones to work on a gun. And oftentimes (such as in your case with a loaded gun), in the interest of safety, the owner MUST be able to work on a gun themselves. Just like a vehicle owner checking oil, fluids and tire pressures. And some car owners get a little more involved like changing shocks or spark plugs. Same with guns. Barrel removal is an essential skill, IMO. Further disassembly is also good to know, like trigger groups and so on and there is a ton of info out there and also here at MO (use the search function)

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

Thanks, Bobster...those things you talked about are very familiar to me. I won't let a shop change the oil on either of our vehicles. That way I know the little crush gasket is in place and not on the shop floor. (I worked in gas stations as a kid).
I had an HK91 and that was a bear to put the innards back together. Took a while to learn that.
What bugs me is the thought of this happening again. It's a little discouraging to read about the feeding issues on the 590A1.

I like taking things apart to see how they work. The 500 isn't terrible to take apart and put back together but there are a lot of stamped parts in there. And the nature of stampings is that there is a "smooth" side and a "sharp" side. Usually gun "break-in" will smooth the sharps out but I like to take them apart and help them out with a small file. Just don't smooth any part that is SUPPOSED to be sharp like extractors and sears...

Back