• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 Problems...

I've tried to do some searching on this subject, but can't seem to find a definitive answer. I have recently purchased my 590 and have 225 shells through it. I have had some problems running some Winchester cheap target loads, as in the gun locks up. Upon cleaning, I discovered some pretty serious gouge marks in the top of the receiver. These are deep enough to feel when cycling the action. When you cycle the action, the bolt hangs up where these gouge marks are. I did my best to measure the depth at .06-.08". My Maverick has 300+ rounds through it without this type of wear. HAs anyone else seen this and should I send the gun to Mossberg? I am attaching the finest cell pic I can get....Please Help!

b2y6.jpg

Attachments

• Moss590A1Gouge2.jpg
    Moss590A1Gouge2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 925
I have a wear spot in the same place as you, but with well over 1k shells through my 590A1 I haven't had any cycling issues other than the cartridge stop riding behind the action bars ( which may be your problem)

While I certainly wouldn't call it normal, I think the receiver is plenty stomg to handle this type of wear. But if you're concerned about it, by all means contact Mossbeeg about it. I'll be happy to post a picture of m receiver if you'd like :)

Aksavanaman, Yes! If you could take some pictures, I would appreciate that very much!

Scott: I am using Break Free CLP. I did clean and lube the gun when it was new and after the first round of break in (75 rounds) it was cleaned and lubed again. I then put another 75 through, cleaned and lubed again (I always clean my guns after the range). I started to notice some normal wear marks, but nothing crazy. Went out this time 75 more rounds and now the gouging. The gun was cycling okay, but was hanging on some of the Winchester rounds.

The gouging looks like the texture of chattering if you've used a lathe before..

chances are good it came that way from the factory, I have a 500 with similar marks and it runs like a top.Your bolt shouldn’t become hung up on it as the steel locking lug on the bolt is retractable and will also wear any ridges and burs as it is used, mine looked way worse when I first got it and didn't really notice it till I got home and broke down to clean all the factory crap out of it

Hey thanks for posting the pics! How many rounds is that at? I did email the pic to Mossberg and they did instruct me to send it in. I'm simply wondering what part on the bolt is gouging the material there. Has anyone deburred their bolt aka fluff and buff?

ryanracer said:
Hey thanks for posting the pics! How many rounds is that at?
Many many rounds at that point, but it came that way, just didn't notice it till I took it apart for the first time or I probably wouldn't have accepted the transfer. Turns out it doesn't affect the performance of the shotgun what so ever , better off not dealing with Mossberg if one can help it

running some Winchester cheap target loads

Thats your problem right there. Really. :lol:

All Mossberg receivers wear in the same manner as yours. The forward mark is from the shell rim smacking the top of the receiver on its way up the elevator; the rear mark is from the spent shell on its way out the door.

the bolt hangs up where these gouge marks are

You are feeling the shell stop moving out of the way.

While I would agree with you as far as the front marks being normal, the deeper marks are behind the breach face with the bolt all the way back where none of the shell rim can contact it. It is some part of the bolt that is actually digging into the material. When you move to close the action, there is a hang up as the bolt rides where that wear is. My maverick is completely smooth compared to my 590, no hang up when closing the action. My 590 was actually smoother during the first 50 rounds.

P.S. I'm not going to use the junk Winchesters anymore...

The gun is on it's way back to Mossberg and it's going to be 25 working days...If I'm lucky.

Well... Got my 590 back from Mossberg today!! YAY!

I sent it out on Nov 3, and it arrived today. Not too bad I must say.

They did replace the receiver, but they did not specifically say what was causing the gouge marks underneath the bolt. I am going to put some rounds through it on Fri and we will see if it comes back.

Glad to hear you got it back. Keep us posted on the outcome friday.

Interested in how she shoots and what the receiver looks like after 20 have been down the throat!

Well I took her out today and put 100 down the tube. To say the least the action was much smoother. Felt much more like my maverick! I did strip and lube it last night and ran a 1to 3 mixture of CLP to Royal Purple 10/30 infused with tungsten disulfide (same lube I use in my AR platforms). I also took a fine stone to the sharp part on the top of the bolt where the firing pin spring recess is. Ran all the shells without the slightest hiccup.

I then took it down and cleaned it just to see what the wear looks like.

Here is the result

No gouges and nearly zero wear...

Nitesite - No FFL, they sent it straight back to my work with a new serial number.

Attachments

• 590A123III.jpg
    590A123III.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 338
You'll never see the marks again.....unless you buy a new Mossberg and they have the marks from the factory.....I can hear the Rep now...." Well we've never seen that before sir "

Oli,

While I do see the humor in your comment, the gouges were not there in the first 150 rounds since I inspected and cleaned it twice before they appeared. Either way when I sent the pics to the rep, he informed me that it did not look right and to send the shotgun in. I asked specifically if it was fine, I would be okay with it. He stated, no and to send it in. I have been the owner of several dozen firearms and this was the first one I have ever had to ship back to the manufacturer. To say the least I am quite satisfied with Mossberg's service. They may take 25 odd days to get your gun back, but it will be right.

Back