• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 Auto Receiver Cleaning

raven01750

.270 WIN
"Never use a brush with metal bristles, as this could remove the protective coating on the receiver."

That's taken directly from the owners manual. But it confused me enough to have to ask, "Since the receiver is Aluminium, is there really a special coating on the inside to improve durability or are they refering to the coaating on the outside which really is susceptible to scratches?

What's your take?

Paul

If the firearm is so dirty that it requires a brush...most people use a bronze brush because it's a softer metal than the metal the barrel is made of. Plastic bristles and even tooth brushes are popular now...

I myself soak any real dirty part in solvent and then use an old tooth brush. It's very rare that anything gets so dirty or encrusted that I would need a bronze brush.

That being said...my bore snakes ( each one labeled & dedicated to a specific firearm ) have bronze brushes inbedded in them. But a pass or two is usually all that is required...

Yea, I just bought three more double ended nylon brushes. Two bucks a piece. The one I have is getting a little worn. May as well keep some spares around. I actually hadn't thought of the toothbrush idea though. :shock: I bet a .99 cent store would be a good place to stock up on those. Great idea! Thanks.

Paul

Back