• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 SPX and Recoil..............

robertwhite

Copper BB
So I have had a 930 SPX for quite a while but it has sat in the safe, as I have a neck injury. The other day I finally get it out of the safe, break it down, clean, re-assemble.

Let me preface this by stating my former depts shotgun was the 870 and just before I retired, we switched to Mossberg 500 with ghost rings. (which is why I wanted the autoloader spx) I have fired many, many 12 ga shotgun rounds.

Go out and send a few Federal general use loads downrange. Great accuracy and easy on the neck/shoulder. Then I load a few Remington 2 3/4 slugger into it, and holy crap does it give me a boot to the shoulder. Then I really got a firm grip, made sure I leaned forward, the whole deal, and again, hard recoil, jarring my shoulder/neck. Tried some Fiochhi 2 3/4 with same results, so at this point, I have to look at the recoil pad.

Judging by the pad which is very thick, it should do a fine job of taming recoil, but at least for me, it doesn't.

The biggest reason I got the SPX was for ease of use by not having to rack the next round, so my wife could use it as a defensive shotgun if needed. There is no way I would even let her fire 1 practice round as it currently sits, because she would never pick it up again.

Is this an issue with anyone else and is there a different pad I could use?

Welcome to the forum.

The Limbsaver pads seem to do the trick for a pot of people. You can get a slip over or a screw on replacement pad.

I use my 930 for hunting and shoot a lot of 3" mags through it. The push pull technique seems to help a lot with the recoil.

Here's what I'm referring to if you are not aware of it (Sorry, if you already know this, I have no idea of peoples skill/training level until I get to know them)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4

Thanks.

I don't push as much with my offhand as he did in the video, but do push some. I will have to try it more.

Will also check into the limbsaver. Any idea if the make a direct screw on for the 930?

I do no know if they make a direct fit for the 930.

MikeD said:

Just looked at their site. In the direct section, it is just a generalized butt size deal.

Also wondering if the direct replacement would feel any different than the factory one (recoil wise)

I have a slip over pad (don't recall what brand) that I use on my steel butt Mosin rifles, but it adds a few inches, which I don't want, especially if my wife was shooting it.

Maybe a different make will have something.

Might just come down to altering my grip/extension some more to a more pronounced one as in the video, and go from there.

I know there are others here that have had more first hand experience with the Limbsavers, hopefully thay can offer more fitment insight when they find this.

robertwhite said:
MikeD said:

Just looked at their site. In the direct section, it is just a generalized butt size deal.

Also wondering if the direct replacement would feel any different than the factory one (recoil wise)

I have a slip over pad (don't recall what brand) that I use on my steel butt Mosin rifles, but it adds a few inches, which I don't want, especially if my wife was shooting it.

Maybe a different make will have something.

Might just come down to altering my grip/extension some more to a more pronounced one as in the video, and go from there.

Sorry I'm late to the conversation, but I replaced my factory 930 butt pad with a precision-fit Limbsaver and it makes a HUGE difference. I had reconstructive back surgery a few years ago, so I need all the help I can get. Running 2-3/4" and 3" magnum loads, even slugs, is not an issue for me now. The Limbsaver part number is SVL-10201 and should fit any 5-3/16" synthetic Mossberg stock...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Sorry I'm late to the conversation, but I replaced my factory 930 butt pad with a precision-fit Limbsaver and it makes a HUGE difference. I had reconstructive back surgery a few years ago, so I need all the help I can get. Running 2-3/4" and 3" magnum loads, even slugs, is not an issue for me now. The Limbsaver part number is SVL-10201 and should fit any 5-3/16" synthetic Mossberg stock...

Great. Thanks very much.

Another hands-on vote for the Limbsaver. I got the screw on one designed for the 930 and it really cut the recoil over stock. It's a big difference.

Back