• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 SPX Wolff XP Spring Question

Hey all,

I bought a Wolff XP Universal mag tube spring and trimmed it to 28"
as per a number of posts here.

I can get 6 shells with the Scattergun Tech follower.
But it will not hand cycle at all. (Rack the bolt and shell stays in the tube.
I am unsure if it's not enough spring tension or too much.

If I put the unaltered factory spring in I can also hold 6 rounds
but it hand cycles fine.

What am I doing wrong?

TIA,

Michael-

Hello,
Interesting. What model of 930 do you have? 28" is my recommended length for a SPX with a stated 7 round capacity, although mine holds 6 with what I prefer. Can you load 5 and rack the bolt and chamber a round? How hard is it to load the 6th round? Does it just barely fit? What is the stated capacity if your model if it is not a SPX?
Best...

Hi,

As the title states I have a 930 SPX with the stock
Choate ext tube.

I can load 6 fairly easily with the 28" Wolf XP
but when I hand cycle the bolt to load the first round
the magazine will not consistently release the round.

thank,

M-

Hi,
OK SPX. Glossed over it in the title. Usually this type of hang up occurs when the last loaded round has too much pressure on it. Hence my question if it would function fine with 5 rounds. If the 6th is just barely fitting, you could try cutting a few coils off the spring, or testing it with the original follower to see if it lets the 6th round fits better and or cutting some of the tail off the Wilson's follower. If the 6th round fits easily, say you can get about half the 7th shell in, then I'm going to have to think some more on it. One other thing... I would check the shell stop with your finger for burrs. Could be a combination of a burr and high spring pressure. Also make sure the shell stop is clean and well lubed. Just out of curiosity, how many rounds through your SPX?
Best

One other thing I would check is the condition of shells before and after you hand cycle them. At one time my extractor was leaving bad burrs on the rims of shells. Really roughing them up. That could have lead to problems had I rotated the same shells through practice drills at home and not caught it. Might try checking for any signs of flattening or rough spots on edges of your shells after hand cycling.
Best...

So I tried the 28" Wolff XP spring with the stock follower and I have the same problem.

I tried 5 shells, I even tried 2 shells and it would not reliably hand cycle.

If I put the stock spring back in everything seems to work better.
But I am having some occasional problems with the stock spring as well
which is why I was trying the Wolff.

I can't feel any burrs in the shell retention lip in the mag tube.

I'm rotating the shells that I've buggered up hand cycling and putting them
aside and trying fresh shells with the same results.

Out of ideas to try....

M-

I have a 930 SPX w/ Wolff spring @ 28" and GG&G follower. It doesn't hand cycle very well, but is flawless when shooting. When I had the Wilson follower, I had to trim the tail down to hold all 7 shells.

OK then, it sounds like the culprit is not over spring tension as it happens with both springs with different load counts. And when you hand cycle, you are doing it with authority right? Pulling the charging handle back and letting fly as hard as it is meant to every time? I know these seem like basic questions, sorry, just trying to work the problem. Lubed the bolt release and shell stop areas etc checking for gunk that could interrupt the cycling timing? No problems when firing, just hand cycling?
Hang in there...

Here is one possible answer to the same problem.
Copied from another forum:
I figured it out!!! It was the mag tube. The ends had a bit of metal left from the machining that was hanging up the shell. I didn't notice it until I tired to install the Nordic follower, it was slightly larger diameter, and it wouldn't transition into the factory tube without hanging up. I sanded and polished out the ends of the tube and it works perfect.

Perhaps this could help your situation.
Regards...

Hammerhead100 said:
I have a 930 SPX w/ Wolff spring @ 28" and GG&G follower. It doesn't hand cycle very well, but is flawless when shooting. When I had the Wilson follower, I had to trim the tail down to hold all 7 shells.

I seem to have less problems when shooting although I have had a couple of times when
it would double feed or drop a live shell out of the loading port when firing.

But my main issue is that I'd like to leave the gun loaded with an empty chamber.
But if I cannot consistently and 100% load the chamber by racking the bolt
then it's kind of useless and I'll have to come up with some other strategy.

Like store it with the action open and drop a shell in the chamber if I need to get it into action.
Or keep in condition 1 cocked and locked.

Neither are ideal.

Thanks,

M-

SeaScout said:
Here is one possible answer to the same problem.
Copied from another forum:
I figured it out!!! It was the mag tube. The ends had a bit of metal left from the machining that was hanging up the shell. I didn't notice it until I tired to install the Nordic follower, it was slightly larger diameter, and it wouldn't transition into the factory tube without hanging up. I sanded and polished out the ends of the tube and it works perfect.

Perhaps this could help your situation.
Regards...

Yes, racking with authority. The gun is clean and the shell stop
has no burrs that I can tell. I have not "lubed" it specifically, I suppose
I could give that a try.

If I turn the gun upside down and watch the action closely when I rack I can
see the shell stop retract when the bolt is pulled back but sometimes the shell
won't be released, sometimes it will.

I'm starting to wonder if it isn't just variances in the lip diameter of certain shells?

This seems to happen more with the Royal Rio buckshot loads and less so with Winchester Ranger.

I'll take another look at the mag tube for burrs and or sharp edges.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

M-

Well the thing is, it should not be that ammo sensitive with new ammo when your at 250 rounds through it. Should be broken in and settled down. Something is messing with that timing. Have you pulled your trigger group and cleaned and checked that the elevator has a full range of motion? That plays a role in the timing. Bottom line, it may need to go back to Mossberg.
Best...

MichaelW said:
Hammerhead100 said:

I seem to have less problems when shooting although I have had a couple of times when

But my main issue is that I'd like to leave the gun loaded with an empty chamber.

Like store it with the action open and drop a shell in the chamber if I need to get it into action.

Neither are ideal.

Thanks,

M-
You know... i faced the same dilemma with my spx... i know it will rack one straight from the mag but only if i REALLY rip that charging handle to be sure it racks...soooo with this in mind and also wanting to keep my stored capacity at at least 8 at all times, i keep 7 in the tube and an 8th floating ghost on the carrier.

This also allows me to keep (2) 3 inch rounds in the mix at all times (my floating round is a 3 inch blindside magnum round for a warning shot and my last round at the end of the mag is a 3 inch sellier & bellot magnum 15 shot double ought buck to make sure that if I've had to fire that many rounds that they are good and finished).

I've run my exact home defense set up with the exact mix of rounds i keep stored in it at all times on the range, made sure it functions fine n it never once gave me a hiccup. First one always racks perfect and the mix between round types 3 inch to 2n 3/4 n even #4 buck to low recoil hd federal 00 buck to 3 inch magnum again.

This gun is very versatile with what it can handle n pump out, i love it.

SeaScout said:
Well the thing is, it should not be that ammo sensitive with new ammo when your at 250 rounds through it. Should be broken in and settled down. Something is messing with that timing. Have you pulled your trigger group and cleaned and checked that the elevator has a full range of motion? That plays a role in the timing. Bottom line, it may need to go back to Mossberg.
Best...

I pulled the trigger group the last time I cleaned the gun.
Everything "looked" ok, it was clean as a whistle.

I think I need to get to the range and shoot it some more and see if
I'm not just getting myself worked up over what the gun is doing on
my workbench in the garage:)

Thanks for all the ideas.

I'll update after another range session.

M-

Poopypants said:
MichaelW said:
Hammerhead100 said:

Neither are ideal.

Thanks,

M-
You know... i faced the same dilemma with my spx... i know it will rack one straight from the mag but only if i REALLY rip that charging handle to be sure it racks...soooo with this in mind and also wanting to keep my stored capacity at at least 8 at all times, i keep 7 in the tube and an 8th floating ghost on the carrier.

This also allows me to keep (2) 3 inch rounds in the mix at all times (my floating round is a 3 inch blindside magnum round for a warning shot and my last round at the end of the mag is a 3 inch sellier & bellot magnum 15 shot double ought buck to make sure that if I've had to fire that many rounds that they are good and finished).

I've run my exact home defense set up with the exact mix of rounds i keep stored in it at all times on the range, made sure it functions fine n it never once gave me a hiccup. First one always racks perfect and the mix between round types 3 inch to 2n 3/4 n even #4 buck to low recoil hd federal 00 buck to 3 inch magnum again.

This gun is very versatile with what it can handle n pump out, i love it.

Ghost loading with an empty chamber is an interesting approach.

I generally try to apply the K.I.S.S. principle when it comes to these things.

You're set up is pretty trick but it sounds like it works very well for you
and it's what's you are training with.

I'll try floating a round on the shell carrier at the range next time
and see how that works.

Thanks!

M-

Same issues with My SPX. I put a Wilson Follower and a Wolffe spring to replace the factory ones. The Wolffe spring is certainly too long for the SPX as received. I too had difficulty when hand cycling, even when I "Ripped" the bolt to the rear" I just kept cutting coils until I could reliably hand cycle the rounds. I believe I eventually cut it down to about 24". At that length all rounds hand cycle just fine as long as you pull the bolt back with some authority. Another issue I solved was the follower occasionally hanging up where the mag tube extension and the mag tube meet. I solved the problem by filing off the sharp shoulders from the front and back of the follower. It just needed some rounding off. No issues now. I do have an S&J mag tube ext on the way as I don't really think the Choate one is as high quality as it should be. The first one I had was warped (Bent) and Mossberg sent me another that was straight. However the area that joins with the mag tube on the gun leaves room for hangups without some work being done to the follower. On the first mag ext I had, I ground down the lip just past the threads and that too worked to solve hangups at that spot. I'm hoping the S&J one will mate to the mag tube better than the choate?

Back