• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

940 Field magazine spring retainer removal

talon99

Copper BB
I’ve been outfitting my Mossberg 940 Field with OR3GUN parts and would like to install the blue anodized magazine follower. Any tips on how to get the magazine spring retainer off? Is it pried off like the old Remington 870 or is there a trick to do it? Thanks in advance for the help.

I’ve been outfitting my Mossberg 940 Field with OR3GUN parts and would like to install the blue anodized magazine follower. Any tips on how to get the magazine spring retainer off? Is it pried off like the old Remington 870 or is there a trick to do it? Thanks in advance for the help.

Do you have a photo? If it is like the 930, you just pry it out.

Here’s a photo. Thanks for the reply.

That looks like the keeper on the 930, so it will just pull out. Put the tip of a flathead screwdriver in the hole and lean the screwdriver over to pry it out. That's what I did on my 930 to get it out when I installed my mag extension. It's just a friction fit.

I already knew about it from the Remington's, but always good to have a reminder. Safety first, last and always! I appreciate everyone's help.

Back