Adventures with Hot Lead

Discussion in 'Reloading Ammunition' started by CaddmannQ, Feb 12, 2017.

1. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

To be certain I would have to go back and see what I Used, but as I recall it was 3.2 grains of Hodgdon clays.

That was getting me 760 to 780 FPS from the evil roy.

The revolver doesn't care how short I load those bullets but for the lever gun to feed correctly I have to make them as long as a typical 357 Magnum cartridge.

The nose shape doesn't seem to matter too much on this gun but it wants the overall length and the weight of the bullet to be correct.

It's supposed to shoot 158 grain but the ones I cast average 154 grains.
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  2. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

Yes but they were dropping like 12 inches!
  3. nitesite

nitesite Ammo Nerd Forum Moderator "Philanthropist"

I fully understand the reason for seating them long for functioning in the lever gun. I would do the same. My comment was that the pressure/velocity of those loads might have been very very low. Unless you compensated for that with more powder using an unpublished charge.
  4. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

I used a medium charge for that weight of bullet, and then made a couple of more steps in 0.2 grain increments. I didn't get to shoot them all yet, but I think the hottest load was 6.4 grains with HS-6 or 3.2 grains of Clays.
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  5. nitesite

Cool thing about the 100-yard drop with those big wadcutter .38s is when comparing against match subsonic .22LR ammo at similar range: rimfire .22 also has a large drop from line of sight once you start reaching out. The .22LR at 50-yards with subsonic ammo is unremarkable in trajectory but get out to 100 and it's really dropping.

So what am I getting at? I think what is cool about your Henry Lever Gun is that you can shoot rounds for almost the same cost as rimfire, with similar trajectory, with almost no noise, and they hit with a real THUMP!!!!

Hell, you can probably recover your almost-intact cast bullets to smelt and cast all over again. To quote Alton Brown, "And that my friends, is GOOD EATS."
    John A. likes this.
  6. nitesite

And....

Load some 158-gr cast LSWCs with some Alliant 2400 (or h110.W296.AA9 having adjusted for making "The Load") and you don't have to worry about any drop. Might add two pennies to your cost per round.

Skeeter Skelton's recipe used 12.0 grains of 2400 loaded in a .38-spl case BTW with a lubed and gas-checked 158-gr LSWC.

http://www.darkcanyon.net/A Letter From Skeeter Skelton.htm

These are for STRONG revolvers ONLY. He did this with .38-44 HD guns and later with other N-Frames. But your Henry won't care a bit.
  7. nitesite