• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AGI Mossberg 500 video review

I recently purchased the gunsmithing video for the Mossberg 500 series by American Gunsmithing Institute.

It's 90 minutes, I paid about 35 bucks from Midway. It is, of course, available from AGI for a little more, but they always have sales and 3 for the price of 2 sales so you might want to check out their website.

First, the DVD worked in my computer with no problems. It has an index that works if you want to jump from history to one of the other topics such as disassembly. Picture and sound were adequate, but one peg short of professional. I believe this is because it has been converted from video.

This dvd is exactly what one expects from AGI: a gunsmithing video. It would be very useful to anyone wanting to troubleshoot or repair a gun or to do a complete disassembly for re-bluing or to clean a really gunked up gun. He makes some comments on "accessories", most of which he doesn't see much use for. Incidentally, for clean and lube he uses Simple Green and Breakfree. I used simple green to pull the cosmoline off an SKS, wood and metal, and I see his reasoning. I also use Break Free for general purpose gun lube.

A good tape for somebody looking at actual gunsmithing, or just with a curiosity of what makes things tick. The disassembly should convince a reasonable person who wants to completely disassemble a gun that doesn't need it to find a different hobby. There are a lot of parts and if you loose or break them, you get to buy new ones!

Who is this dvd not for? If you just want to field strip the 500 for new-gun or routine cleaning, this tape is overkill. You can read your owners manual or download one from Mossberg's website. There are also free tutorials on the web for field stripping. If you are trying to build a "super gun" tactical jobby, that might best be done by internet info or the instructions that come with the aftermarket parts.

Other than the slightly poor visual quality, I can't fault the tape much. Keep in mind that I am not a qualified gunsmith nor did I follow his instructions for a complete disassembly. It seems to me to be a good intro to basic gunsmithing on this model.

I do take exception to a comment that implies tape applies to other models. I think if you have an 835 or 590 you should definitely defer to the Mossberg owners' manual for your specific model because there are differences.

Attachments

• DSCN0833.JPG
    DSCN0833.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 423
Great write up and thanks for taking the time out to post up here on Mossberg Owners! I just placed an order for this video as well and will do a review when I get it in. I can't wait for it to arrive.

I can not recommend the AGI Mossberg 500 video enough to any owner of a Mossberg 500. Especially if you are new to firearms or just new to a Mossberg 500. I must mention that you have to get over the fact that the AGI video is not the greatest quality; as it is quite dated for today's standards BUT the content is excellent. AGI starts the video with a bit of history about how the Mossberg 500 came to be in 1961 and goes over some of the changes that have occurred since. From there the AGI video goes into how to strip down your Mossberg 500. AGI also provides some tips on how to clean your dirty Mossberg 500 with the use of simple green. I have not tried this method yet with my Mossberg 500 but it seems like a great idea. After cleaning, the AGI video then goes through how to reassemble the Mossberg 500. Overall the AGI video is extremely thorough and will give you the confidence to strip down your Mossberg 500 and put it back together smoothly. You still need to have some basic skills before attempting to completely strip down a Mossberg 500 but this video is great for the do-it-yourself-er. Additionally the AGI video does a great job explaining how everything works which helped in remembering how to strip it down and put it back together. For example the AGI video goes into detail about how the safety system works on the Mossberg 500. This is in part due to the use of two Mossberg 500's that have cut-a-ways to allow for easier demonstration of all the moving parts inside.

Back