• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone Collect Old Shotgun Shells?

OldMan

I got a couple boxes of old shotgun shells which look like our normal shells today but this one is older.
I have been trying to date it to see if it's worth keeping and as close as I can get is 1934 according to this web page on shotgun shell identification.
http://members.shaw.ca/cartridge-corner/shotgun.htm

The shell is plastic construction with a brass base.
DSCN1710.jpg

What does the 2½-1 mean. I think the 2½ is the cartridge length but not the -1. The 5 is the shot size.
DSCN1712.jpg

DSCN1713.jpg

Interesting that my 2-3/4 12 ga shell also meausre 2½".

I should know this but have forgotten. Stinks getting old. Lol!

It may well be a 2 3/4" shell, but unfired length is always shorter.

I'm betting the "1" means 1 oz of shot.

I don't really collect old ammunition, but when my wife inhereted a shotgun from her grandmother, she got some old shells with it too. Remington and Winchester if memory serves correctly, but the brass on them is unique that they are not all smooth sided like brass I am used to seeing. They have ridges in it like your bottom picture

I don't collect them either but they are interesting when you come accross one.

It would be interesting to see an all brass black powder shotgun shell up close.

Just for historical reference, here are a few pictures of my wifes Grandmothers' shells she had in a drawer for the Montgomery Ward 410.

Far as I know, the shotgun was actually a marlin relabeled for Montgomery Ward. It has a very unique design where the takedown lever is concerned. It is a pre '68 judging from the lack of a serial number.

MW_410_after_refinish.jpg

The Winchester is mixed 2-3/4 and 3 inch. The Brass is marked W*W 410

Christmastree2011019.jpg

The plastic case is marked 4 shot, Winchester Super X and the brass is ribbed

Christmastree2011015.jpg

The Remington shells are 3 inch #4 shot.

Christmastree2011022.jpg

I'm unsure of any timeframe on either the Remington or Winchester shells, however, I know it has been a very long time since Remington marked their brass with Remington-Peters, though according to: http://www.rbs0.com/shotshell.htm Remington began using plastic shotshell casings in 1960, so with that bit of knowlege and knowing the Gun Control Act of 1968 in regards to serial number markings, helps date the shells and gun somewhere between 1960 and October 1968.

Christmastree2011024.jpg

OldMan said:
Interesting that my 2-3/4 12 ga shell also meausre 2½".

I should know this but have forgotten. Stinks getting old. Lol!

2 3/4 is length after its used. The crimped part is your missing 1/4"

John A,
I have shot shell like the ones in your photos when I got my first shotgun at age 14.
Check the link in my first post which shows various shell head stamps. It would be cool to see photos of the whole cartridge though.

Info from that site:
E Remington: 1870-1890. Remington 1890-1911 then Combined with UMC to form REM-UMC from 1911-1934. 1934 Dupont buys out Rem-UMC & Peters to form Remington Arms Co. as it still stands today

Thanks for posting! I love history!

ripjack13,
It doesn't look like there's a ¼" rolled up at the top of the shell does it?
I guess there is though. Thanks!

before plastic -even before paper -
they made the Shotgun shells out of Birch bark ,and the base which today and even then was made out of brass/copper- was made out of wood ! they are very rare and not many collect them .

....I'm hiding in my basement right now , Zombies could show up at any time .........

Well stay hidden and take of the night vision goggles. Zombies don't show up with night vision since they are dead! :lol:

Back