• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone here call themselves a chainsaw or axe geek?

Thought I'd include a little family picture too...I was out cutting wood today at the cabin. Taking advantage of no snow on the ground yet. My splitting axe is a Fiskars and it is a beast. Highly recommend if you're splitting big blocks it's a real nice piece. My wife bought it for me for Christmas 2 years ago and I'm just putting it to use now...didn't need to split any big blocks for awhile so it sat.

My favourite is the Estwing hatchet. It's super handy, well balanced, light but not too light and it keeps a nice edge.

Forgive my messy work area, I was a little pushed for time today. I promise I'll tidy it up.

1000005111.jpg

Last edited:
I went to the local ACE hardware with every intention of picking up a medium duty Stihl chainsaw. They carry Stihl, but they only stock the new battery powered ones...along with some other battery brand of saw. NO thanks. I'll have to order a gas powered model if I want one. Time to shop elsewhere.

I've had my dad's Plumb brand axe since he passed in 1973 - no idea how old it is. Last year I got the bug and started cleaning it up. The old handle seemed worthy, so I refinished it and carved down some to re-mount the head [which needed considerable wire brushing] I didn't get it perfect, but it's still a a work in progress, but dad's axe will likely serve my son and his son well in the years to come.
AXE_edited-1.jpg

The geek part is the fancy custom made, Nordic-style axes and tomahawks. I'd love one of those just to hang on the garage wall.

Looking at that photo reminds me of how much that I wanna build one of these smokeless rocket stoves.

I don’t need one but it would give me an excuse to play with fire, beyond the fleeting joys of welding sheet-metal.

So this is our excuse to start a stove thread of some kind …

I have been hearing very positive reports about the Fishers log splitter. I may have to try one. They sell them at my local Tractor Supply store.

And I have a 28" Fiskars pickaroon on the way to be a longer version of my Garrett Wade 15" German-made pickaroon. I have a face cord of hard maple to cut up so it will give me a chance to compare long vs. short. Best woodworking tool ever made, which surprises me that so few people who work with logs know anything about them.

Course, I have to get my broken neck healed up a bit more before I go swinging logs. :)

I have been hearing very positive reports about the Fishers log splitter. I may have to try one. They sell them at my local Tractor Supply store.

And I have a 28" Fiskars pickaroon on the way to be a longer version of my Garrett Wade 15" German-made pickaroon. I have a face cord of hard maple to cut up so it will give me a chance to compare long vs. short. Best woodworking tool ever made, which surprises me that so few people who work with logs know anything about them.

Course, I have to get my broken neck healed up a bit more before I go swinging logs. :)
Log splitters are the cat's ass man. My crazy MIL had one when she lived on a rural island, I cut wood for her a number of times over the years. She gave the damn, beautiful thing away before she left..............AAAARRRRRGH!!

Back