1. Thank you Mossberg Owners for making us the greatest Gun forum on the planet.

Anyone using string trimmer line (modded) as a pull-thru cleaning rod?

Discussion in 'Firearm Maintenance, Safety And Troubleshooting' started by nitesite, Mar 28, 2016.

1. nitesite

nitesite Sheepdog Forum Moderator "Philanthropist"

Just wondering. I have some .22s which I don't want to run a cleaning rod down thru the muzzle toward the chamber. This technique is a godsend and costs pennies compared to a bore-snake (TM).
    Djcala and MikeD like this.
  2. WNCmotard

WNCmotard .270 WIN Supporter

I use it in the air guns all the time, works great.
    nitesite likes this.
  3. nitesite

Nice. Good decision!

How often does an airgun need a pull-thru cleaning?
  4. WNCmotard

Only when accuracy starts to degrade. Usually takes some fresh lead after that to get it back in the groove also.
    nitesite likes this.
  5. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

Good idea, never thought of doing this.
  6. WNCmotard

Just use a lighter or butane torch and melt a blob the appropriate size to capture your patch.
    RedOBXT likes this.
  7. nitesite

Yoo guys are some smart peeps..... :)
  8. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Interesting. That's a great idea. I have been looking for something to clean my old bb gun. I know I'm a good shot, but I missed a chipmunk 2xs in a row. And I know my sites were dead on...so, I chalk it up to a derty barrel..

Thanks for this...
    nitesite likes this.
  9. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

Are you melting the plastic right to the patch?

Or just winding a patch on there like on a brass Jag?

#########
    oh forget it. It's on youtube.;)
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  10. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter

Great info. I like the bore snakes, but they are a bit pricey.
  11. Bobster

Bobster .30-06 Supporter

A landscaper buddy of mine showed me how you can use trimmer line to cut PVC pipe by pulling back and forth. The friction "melts" the line through... :rolleyes: Not the prettiest job but it will work in a pinch... :cool:
  12. nitesite

And sharpen the other end into a point in order to start a cotton patch down the string line until it hits the blob or flattened end.

Really works, guys. For real.
    Djcala and ripjack13 like this.
  13. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

OK, I saw a different one where they fold the line double and crimp it. They shoved the crimped end through, stick a patch in the fold, and retrieve.
    Same concept as a needle threader.

But I like the whole concept except for one thing.

I was warned away from aluminum cleaning rods, because they are so much softer than grit. They get embedded with micro grit and it scrubs the muzzle out of whack.
    I imagine plastic is softer than aluminum and would do the same but worse.

So is this an old wive's tale? o_O

I use a stainless one-piece rod. Much harder than aluminum, but softer than a barrel. That is until I switched to bore-snakes. Now two passes with a bore snake is all I normally need, as I'm not shooting hard enough to foul up the rifles much.
    hombre243 likes this.
  14. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator Supporter "Philanthropist"

I've owned mine since 95..never cleaned it. I'm sure it's yukky down thar....
    MikeD likes this.
  15. RAMBO

RAMBO .410

RIPJACK13, YE MISSED, CAUSE YA NOT POST TO KILL THEM PRETTY LITTLE CHIPMUNKS. LOL
    ripjack13 likes this.
  16. hombre243

hombre243 .270 WIN

I used to build custom fishing rods and also replace guides. Monofilament eats steel guides and that is what the trimmer line is. It also holds grit just like brass and wood. I would not use it but I do have an emergency pistol kit I keep just in case...and it is mono. Personally I think a bore snake is well worth the few dollars they cost and because they can be cleaned and reused I prefer them to mono. I have at least one snake for each gun I have. I also have bore guides for all my coated and uncoated rods. It cost too much money to replace or repair the damage I know mono can do to steel.
  17. SWIGIN

SWIGIN .410

I could never get the melted end to stay on so bore snake for me, less headache.
  18. GT_80

GT_80 .270 WIN

$20 for something you only need to buy once every several years (if you use it a lot)?
  19. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter

When you're retired and on a fixed income...
    GT_80 likes this.
  20. GT_80

GT_80 .270 WIN

Touché ... I’m just coming to a point in my life where I’m less worried about cost, but I’m still frugal. I can see how the string trimmer would be nice too, yet if the melted nub breaks off when you’re pulling a patch through, make sure you have cleaning rods too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    meanstreak likes this.