• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Applying for Police Job

honkey

.270 WIN
Over the past three years (when I changed my college major from music education to business management), I have often thought that I won't actually be happy having an office job. I have thought before about wanting to be in law enforcement. I've kind of kept this desire to myself, but last night I had my first serious discussion about it with my fiancee and she assured me that if this is what I want to do than, of course she would support my decision.

Today, I submitted a job interest card for the city of Huntsville. I am not really sure what my next steps should be and I'm not sure who I would need to talk to in order to get the ball rolling on the application process. Is there any advice anyone can give me of what I should do at this point? Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

honkey~

If you are determined and your woman is fully behind you on this, we can help coach you toward your goal.

You and I need to discuss this further. A lot. And really more in depth. I think you can do this, if it's really and truly in your heart.

It's the greatest show on earth, exhiliarting and depressing and sometimes pretty scary. And EVERYONE is looking over your shoulder taking video/audio wanting to take your badge, except for your Chief and partners who become every bit as important in your life as anyone you have ever loved or cared for.

And your fiance may grow tired of the text messages and phone calls when you two are just trying to spend some rare and uninterrupted time together without all your "other wives and girlfriends in blue" bothering you.

But if SHE is okay with the idea let's follow your interest and see if it becomes a dream that the two of you will thouroughly enjoy!

http://www.alabamarailfan.com/pubsafety.php

Yeah, I know I need to discuss this in depth with someone, but I am not really sure where to start with questions... Looking over the selection process for Huntsville, I am sure I can meet all the requirements for the physical, but I don't see a link to apply to be evaluated. I was planning on sending an e-mail, but I don't know who to send it too with my questions and frankly, I don't want to ask any questions that make me look like a dumbass. :oops:

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Well, I put in an application today. I don't expect anything to become of it since they just graduated a class from the academy a few weeks ago, but I wanted to throw my name out there. I am going to submit another application this week in a different city that I was told could start setting up PT's and interviews in October.

Good evening Honkey! I'm a little late getting into this, but I've been moving for the past week. Talk with the shift supervisor of your local department and ask to do a Ride Along. If they have that program, try all three shifts (not all at once!), and see what you think. Most Ride Along programs require a basic back ground check before you can ride. Durring the Ride Along, you are just an observer, ask any questions that you have, and most Officers will do their best to answer them. It's best to ride with a FTO (Field Training Officer), or a street supervisor. These are generally senior Officers that can give you good advice and insite.

In this career you will see, hear, and do things that most citizens are never exposed to so a good support network at home is a must.

Please keep us posted

NCLawman said:
Good evening Honkey! I'm a little late getting into this, but I've been moving for the past week. Talk with the shift supervisor of your local department and ask to do a Ride Along. If they have that program, try all three shifts (not all at once!), and see what you think. Most Ride Along programs require a basic back ground check before you can ride. Durring the Ride Along, you are just an observer, ask any questions that you have, and most Officers will do their best to answer them. It's best to ride with a FTO (Field Training Officer), or a street supervisor. These are generally senior Officers that can give you good advice and insite.

In this career you will see, hear, and do things that most citizens are never exposed to so a good support network at home is a must.

Please keep us posted

That's funny, I actually was just looking at ride along info for my local police department. My concern is that I wouldn't want to do it if it is one of those tasks that most officers consider an annoying chore.

My fiancee has been supportive and I think she likes the idea of me becoming an officer. Her uncle and cousin are both officers in Chicago. I also talked to my parents and they have also been supportive (especially my dad who is retired military).

Thanks for your reply!

Did you ever get hired on PD? It's a tough but very fufilling job. I wish you luck. I was on the job for 29 years and if there is ever anything I can do give me a yell.
Jack

Back