• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Back for our Ohio Groundhog Hunt

cdarmssupply

Sponsor
Sponsor
30 kills - my longest kill 610 yards. One shot.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369700610.121974.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369700610.121974.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 384
,,,sounds like you had a good time Chris. what did you take it down with?

Savage .243. Straight out of the box. Has been my groundhog gun for 9 years now. That baby has gotten me one at 804 also.

804 yards? Pictures or it didn't happen ;) lol
Glad to see you had a great time!! :D I have only killed like 10 in a season..
30 in one trip is a BLAST! (Pun Intended)

That's good shooting for sure.

And says a lot for savage too.

Awesome. That is some fine shooting.

Nice!
I have taken several over the years with .22LR, and .222 Rem. but never at any kind of long range . I also got one with my bow.
I love to groundhog hunt, but there have gotten to be too many houses around to shoot safely with a high powered rifle. I want to get a .22 Mag to hunt with, but those dried up with the .22LR, so I will probably get a .17HMR. Ammo for that is everywhere.

Great shooting... and looking good doing it too ;) ( I meant the rifle guys!!!)

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you do with groundhog? Eat'm and keep the furs... or is it just pest control?

That is the very reason we travel 600 miles to Ohio - the distance shots. The guide that takes us around has access to about 2500 acres of farm land.

As to what we do with them - feed the buzzards.

It helps the farms a great deal - a single groundhog can destroy a lot of money in crop in a single season - the Amish farmers hate them for that plus they hurt the horses. As we know the Amish do the farming by hand and horses - a horse leg and groundhog holes do not go well together.

AK, do you guys even have groundhogs up there in the Great White North?
As far as what we do with them, a buddy of mine always asked for a young one to cook up. I usually fed the critters with them. They always got under my buildings and tore things up, so when I saw one, he did not stay around long.

tcecil88 said:
AK, do you guys even have groundhogs up there in the Great White North?
As far as what we do with them, a buddy of mine always asked for a young one to cook up. I usually fed the critters with them. They always got under my buildings and tore things up, so when I saw one, he did not stay around long.

I don't know about the mainland, but as far as the island goes... snowshoe hares are about the largest rodent we get. Our bald eagle population is so big, that most of the "varmint" type critters are all under check. I'll have to find a picture of our docks during salmon season... you'll never see so many eagles in one place! We also have fox, ermines and some ground squireles...

I think there are few fields I frequent that I could get more then a 300yd shot in. Even at that, that is a stretch... I was told to use google earth to measure distance of the fields so you know off hand what kind of shot you are taking. Pretty neat idea, but I don't think I have done it yet lol

,,,possum,squirrel,snake, wood chuck,,,,,put em in a stew, and they all taste like chicken. :D

between all those animals nobody wants to eat, and the canadian geese you could solve the hunger problem,feed the homeless, and make a few bucks selling some of this gourmet food.

Nice shooting! I know one of my favorite things to hunt is woodchucks in upstate NY...The farthest I have hit was a little over 400 yards.

Back